Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Please pray for #85 Kevin Everett

Bills vs. Broncos, the kickoff to open the second half:

Everett storms down the field to make yet another outstanding Bills' special teams stop. Leans in to make the play, yet this time it goes horribly wrong. It looks like a regular tackle, his form is fine....But this time, his head gets caught. He instantly collapses, and twitches as he lays on the ground. Unable to move at all, Kevin Everett lays upon the field for 15 minutes while both teams pray for his safety. He's finally taken onto a stretcher where they slowly prop him into an ambulance, and take him off the field....

He had emergency surgery at 8 o'clock that night. They removed his 3rd and 4th vertibrae, and they dont know if he'll ever walk again, let alone play football. He's on a respirator, and he really, really needs some prayer and thoughts out for him and his family...

So please, keep him in your thoughts, and send out a prayer for him when you go to sleep tonight.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Thanks for the update.
    Last I heard he was in surgery last night.

Best wishes to him, his family, and his teammates.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I'll be hoping for the best for him and his family. Thanks for the update.

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Crazy shit.

Bills reserve TE Kevin Everett will spend one to two days under sedation as doctors evaluate the extent of a severe spinal injury that could leave him paralyzed. Everett is in the intensive care unit at Buffalo's Millard Fillmore Gates Hospital after a four-hour operation performed hours after he was hurt in a season-opening loss to Denver, Eric Armstead, a partner of the player's agent Brian Overstreet, told The Associated Press on Monday. "He'll be sedated for the next 24 to 48 hours and we won't know more until then," Armstead said. "We were told by the doctors that the surgery went well." Overstreet told the AP late Sunday that his client had some "sparse movement." Overstreet added: "The next couple of days is going to be critical. Our concern is for him to come out of this healthy and, hopefully, be able to walk again."

http://www.charlotte.com/472/story/271769.html
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Silver
    2002 WS6

damn, I obviously was watching the game. My prayers go out to him and his family. Makes the Broncos win unimportant. nothing in football is worth that sacrifice

Hope things turn out well for him

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

One of the worst things about the whole deal is that his NFL career had just begun.

primevil
    2000 FRC

That's why when you block or tackle someone, YOU NEVER LEAD WITH YOUR HEAD !!!!!!!

That is football fundamentals !
    Last edited by SleeperC5; 09-10-2007 at 02:21 PM.

Sunset Orange
    2002 TransAm

I wish him the VERY BEST, and I know God is watching over him, and that is the BEST you can get. Hope he recovers fully.
    2002 Sunset Orange TransAm 6 spd.
    http://www.mustangmods.com/data/1327/dadsigpic2.jpg

BlackCherry
    Bad Ass 67 Camaro / 2010

I hope he recovers well and can walk again.

It makes little difference if you can play football, when your life and ability to walk are potential eliminated.

My prays are with him.

silver2002Z
    if they in fact did remove his third and fourth vertebre....im pretty sure he wont be playin football again...........but yeah thats the job he chose.....and he knew the risks.... i truly believe everything happens for a reason........so lets just wait and see, not sure what praying is going to do for him, but to each his own,

Silver
    2002 WS6

I just read on the scrolling letterbox during the MNF game that he "will most likely not regain control of his body"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3012739

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Kevin Everett sustained a "catastrophic" and life-threatening spinal-cord injury while trying to make a tackle during the Buffalo Bills' season opener and is unlikely to walk again, the surgeon who operated on him said Monday.

"A best-case scenario is full recovery, but not likely," orthopedic surgeon Andrew Cappuccino said. "I believe there will be some permanent neurologic deficit."

Everett was hurt Sunday after he ducked his head while tackling the Denver Broncos' Domenik Hixon during the second-half kickoff. Everett dropped face-first to the ground after his helmet hit Hixon high on the left shoulder and side of the helmet.

Cappuccino noted the 25-year-old reserve tight end did have touch sensation throughout his body and also showed signs of movement. But he cautioned that Everett's injury was life-threatening because he was still susceptible to blood clots, infection and breathing failure.

Terrible, terrible news.....

Quote Originally Posted by SleeperC5 View Post
    That's why when you block or tackle someone, YOU NEVER LEAD WITH YOUR HEAD !!!!!!!

That is football fundamentals !
    Did you even watch the play? He went to put his head across Hixon's body. It was a perfect form tackle that went wrong. Freak accident. That guy's been a special teams ace for his entire career with us, I think he knows how to tackle.

Watch the play again. It's just a freak accident. Rest of the league says it was a great form tackle.

primevil
    2000 FRC

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Did you even watch the play? He went to put his head across Hixon's body. It was a perfect form tackle that went wrong. Freak accident. That guy's been a special teams ace for his entire career with us, I think he knows how to tackle.

Watch the play again. It's just a freak accident. Rest of the league says it was a great form tackle.
    You just "emphasized" what I mentioned... "He went to put his head across Hixon's body"... Thus my comment, you NEVER LEAD WITH YOUR HEAD !!!

And yes I saw the play. He led the block with his head !

It was a tackle, not a block, champ. And when you tackle someone from the side, you put your head across his front, which he attempted to do. He overshot, and the head got caught...

But it's not worth getting into a bitch match over. A man that was very fun, in shape, and in love with his job is now likely in a wheel chair for the rest of his life. Remember, he's someone's son, someone's brother, and someone's friend....

primevil
    2000 FRC

Block, tackle... whatever CHUMP !

YOU NEVER LEAD WITH YOUR HEAD !!

And he was an OVER PAID athlete that should've known better.
    Last edited by SleeperC5; 09-12-2007 at 04:58 AM.

Buddy....you're not even worth talking to...Are you that shallow and bitter? A guy's life is on the line, and you're pissed because he made more money than you? Unbelieveable.

Oh, and by the way, this fellow former NFL player has something to say about the tackle:

Utley, who lives in Washington state, was saddened to see replays of Everett's collision.

"I'm sorry this young man got hurt," Utley said. "It wasn't a cheap shot. It was a great form tackle and that's it."

Nuff said.

Now lets get to the real reason this thread was started, the health of Kevin Everett.

Good news!!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3014742

Kevin Everett might walk again after all.

The doctor who performed the spinal surgery on Everett told Buffalo TV station WIVB on Tuesday that Everett has voluntary movement of his arms and legs and as a result he is optimistic that Everett will walk again.

Dr. Andrew Cappuccino told WIVB that Everett's sedation levels were lowered on Tuesday, allowing him to respond to verbal commands. WIVB also reported that Everett's latest MRI shows only a small amount of swelling on his spinal cord.

Thank god, and thanks for your prayers. Maybe he can walk again.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Very Lucky So Far.

Neurosurgeon: Bills' Kevin Everett moved arms and legs, which means he could walk again
    Neurosurgeon: Bills' Kevin Everett moved arms and legs, which means he could walk again

By JOHN WAWROW, AP Sports Writer
    September 11, 2007

AP - Sep 10, 6:28 pm EDT
    More Photos

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) -- Kevin Everett voluntarily moved his arms and legs on Tuesday when partially awakened, prompting a neurosurgeon to say the Buffalo Bills' tight end would walk again -- contrary to the grim prognosis given a day before.

"Based on our experience, the fact that he's moving so well, so early after such a catastrophic injury means he will walk again," said Dr. Barth Green, chairman of the department of neurological surgery at the University of Miami school of medicine.

"It's totally spectacular, totally unexpected," Green told The Associated Press by telephone from Miami.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information