Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Trans Am WS.6

Question Pistol owners, need some advice

I'm looking to get my first pistol, but i'm not sure what to get. I've shot a few before, a 9mm taurus, a 9mm glock, .38 snub, and a .22 subcomp. I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to this and of the friends i know who own pistols, they are pretty damn loyal to their brand of choice. So I figured I'd ask any of you, see if theres someone less "biased" who could give me decent recommendation as to what to look at.

I liked the taurus, seemed to shoot really well, but I was not a fan of the little barrel extension, seemed that it could get caught up on something. I plan on getting my CPL also, so it getting caught in clothing is a concern. The glock was really nice, but I really, really, dont like hammerless designs.

Right now I'm kinda leaning towards the taurus, though its size might make it difficult to conceal, and I'd really prefer a gun with a "flat face" like a 1911 for example. I'm kinda of a bigger guy, so i wear looser fitting clothing.

I know some guys do carry fullsize 1911's without an issue, so I was thinking of maybe the Taurus Pt911, its smaller than the 92, and doesnt have the extension. I havent heard anything, positive or negative, about this gun though.

Any other ideas? Money-wise, I'm looking at spending 300-400 for the gun, I'd prefer closer to 300, but i dont want just something cheap that doesnt work well for what i want, if necessary i will wait and save to get whats right.

Also, does anyone know of anyplace I can go to rent out a gun and try it out so I can get an idea of what I like?

Thanks for any input, and sorry for the mini-novel i just typed.

matt

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

I think most are Bias. I carried a Sigsauer 9mm. Great weapon. Never jammed. Check out the compact version if you want to CC.

My next weapon will be a Sig 357

Awaiting Activation

9mm???

do you have to get a 9mm? most cops now are issued 40 cal's.I have a Glock 23 that I like very much, but seen a Taurus PT 940 the other day that was pretty sweet. you cant go wrong with any Sig,Glock,Paraordnance,Springfield,,,etc.... any local gun ranges? most have pistols to rent so u can try before u buy ,make sure and do ur homework on which caliber is best for u. not to b a smartass or anything but I wouldnt get anything 9mm or smaller,unless ur using the very best(meaning destructive) ammo u can find. just my .02..................good luk

Impulse Blue Matallic
    2005 GTO

Off duty I carry a Sig Sauer P239. It is a .40 cal and it has a single stack magazine. This means that the bullets stack one on top of the other insead of off-set. The drawback is that the magazine only holds 7 rounds. The good thing is that it is thin. That is the problem with guns that make them hard to conceal. They are too thick. So I have 7+1 rounds to shoot, and I can tell you from experience that if you need more then 7 rounds to defend yourself you need to go practice hitting what you are shooting at before you carry.

As stated, Sigs, Glock's, HK's, etc are all great weapons. In most cases, it is going to depend on the money that you spend. If you want a very cheap yet reliable gun, look into Makarov's. They are Russian made and will take a serious beating.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

CZ 75 Compact in a .40 cal.SW
    Last edited by rbob93; 11-22-2006 at 07:46 AM.

Black
    '05 Ninja ZX-10R

The pt1911 seems to have very good reviews and is greatly anticipated, but I think it runs closer to $500. The taurus you checked out was a remake of the old beretta 92 that was military issue for a long time. Maybe a little big for CCW, but the design is sound. Consider the 24/7 too, it's high capacity and has good reviews.

Away from taurus, you can look into the springfield xd and the beretta px4. A little over budget, but they can be had for $400 or so if you look carefully. I've been about to buy the px4 for some time, but I didn't like the fixed sights. But it's lightweight, grip can be modded for your hand, supposedly very accurate and lots of firepower.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Of the one's you mentioned I would go Glock first, Taurus second. Likely you could move up to a .40 S&W in either for the same price. I carry a Glock 23 (.40 S&W) with a thirteen round capacity. It fits neatly in a butt pack with my wallet.

If you are set on a nine millimeter, it's okay, but I really would consider a 40 S&W as a more preferred caliber, not quite a .45 ACP, but a good compromise of capacity and power.

John

9 mm is fine for ccw with hollow points (+p+)
    I have a Kahr pm9 6+1 and fits in my pocket. Big bucks for a small gun ?
    Your $300 to 400 price range might be hard to fine a new glock sig kahr .
    Check out the xd subs (springfield) or the small glock. Yet they are still to thick for me.

1 BAD ASS BOWTIE StangKiller615's Avatar

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Ruger p 97- .45 cal.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

I have a Springfield XD-40 (.40 cal) I recommend that firearm to anyone. excellent knock down power and completely balanced in your hand even with 10 rounds in the clips (hold 15 + 1 in the chamber). Springfield just came out with the XD-45 and that will be my next firearm I do believe. They make very nice firearms and the price might be just a little north of the $400 you stated but well worth it IMO.
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

S&W's m&p .40 is a sweet pistol....but you'll pay $600 for it.

personally, i've shot a springfield 1911, a Kimber .45, Glock 23 in a 9mm, and a Ruger something i can't remember but it was in a .40S&W, out of the four, The springfield 1911 had the cool factor, the Kimber was a work of art but was around $1500 but was absolutely the best balanced pistol i ever felt, and the Ruger and Glock seemed bout equal, and IMO, were much better for concealment. Also, a .40 has much better knock down power than a 9mm, but a 9MM will get the job done, and its much cheaper to shoot

Arctic White
    2000 TransAm

All the guns you guys mentioned are great, but how bout a russian makarov 9x18 ? cheap and a damn good gun
    2000TA, ARCTIC WHITE, 6 SPD
    ALL THE USUAL STUFF
    A MILE HIGH & A SECOND SLOWER

i dunno how to post pictures but i looked one up, kinda ugly...but i dont think ugly matters if you really need it

Arctic White
    2000 TransAm

I bought one back in 94 and it came with a holester, ammo cleaning kit, targets, etc. It's a good shootin gun, never a problem. My Dad's got an FFL, so I think I paid about $100 for it, ya can't go wrong. I have no idea what they're going for know. Another good, cheap gun is a high point, I have the compact 9, same thing, no problems

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Well since this is for protection. I would spend the money and get something good. Not cheap.

1997 Grand Cherokee
    1999 Firebird.

This topic has been done to death. Get a .357 magnum and load it with .38spl until you're ready to move up to .357 rounds. If you really want an autoloader, 9mm has almost zero recoil and decent stopping power. There is nothing wrong with getting a 10mm or .45acp for a first gun, but the recoil is a bit much for some first timers.

Arctic White
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    Well since this is for protection. I would spend the money and get something good. Not cheap.
    This is the point. You can get a good gun for way under $500 for protection. I have numerous guns; Colt SS 1911, SW 357, Makarov, High Point and they all work flawlessly.

Black
    99 SS

dessert Eagle

1997 Grand Cherokee
    1999 Firebird.

Dude. Too small.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information