Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

People with degrees please give me advice

Alright, Well I am sick of wrenching and being blue collar. I want a better job and I need to start on it while I'm still young. I have always wanted to get a Bachelors in Business Management. If I went full time I could have it in 2 years. Thats not bad at all. The schooling is CRAZY expensive, but that comes with the territory. I am not not gonna lie, Im scared shitless to go back to real school. I just dont know if I can/could hack it. Its not so much the BBA classes that scare me, its the general bullshit classes that I really dont look forward to doing. I really need to do this and better myself for a better paying job, I just wanted to here some of you guys/gals experience with years of college.

I also need to keep my full time job at Caterpillar for as long as possible. I have bills. That is going to be tough. The school I have applied at is Clearly University. They are very well looked upon but are very expensive. Anyone have any words on this subject?

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

damn 20+ an hour isnt good enough for a young single guy? or you just hate what you have to do to make that money? Shit i'd love 20+an hour right around now. I'm ready to leave the business because I've been making way less then that. But I know what you mean about the college thing. I basically regret not going right out of high school.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

20 bucks an hour is sweet man. I bring home 600$ a week. But I bust my ass and am in a constant blue collar against white collar fight at bog Ole Caterpillar. Union Job. Nuff said if you have ever worked for huge union-ized company.

I want to be the guy driving around in his company truck making 80 to 150 K a year drinking coffee. Fuck this wrenching shit man, Aint never gonna get rich.

Cat pays me just enough to keep me coming back everyday. Thats it.

I need to get my ass in high gear.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

20 bucks an hour is sweet man. I bring home 600$ a week. But I bust my ass and am in a constant blue collar against white collar fight at big Ole Caterpillar. Union Job. Nuff said if you have ever worked for huge union-ized company.

I want to be the guy driving around in his company truck making 80 to 150 K a year drinking coffee. Fuck this wrenching shit man, Aint never gonna get rich.

Last edited by Hi-Po; 12-09-2008 at 03:24 PM.

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

I am in the same boat as you man. My pay is pretty damn decent but I dont wanna do what I am doing for the rest of my life. I am going to college starting august of next year I am just not entirely sure on what I would like to go for yet.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

ALso, how long did everyone pay on the student loans?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    I am in the same boat as you man. My pay is pretty damn decent but I dont wanna do what I am doing for the rest of my life. I am going to college starting august of next year I am just not entirely sure on what I would like to go for yet.
    I hear ya man, I have always just thought Business management was a good broad degree to have in your pocket. What have you thought about?

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

I've considered doing some night school, but like Hi-Po said, the general ed's really dont interest me at all. They are precisely the reason I hated school and didnt wanna go to college. If something doesnt interest me I have no drive at all to try and do well at it. It becomes extremely tedious to me

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    I've considered doing some night school, but like Hi-Po said, the general ed's really dont interest me at all. They are precisely the reason I hated school and didnt wanna go to college. If something doesnt interest me I have no drive at all to try and do well at it. It becomes extremely tedious to me
    Exactly. The 108 credits of BS classes is what completely turned me away, and still is. Thus why I went to a trade school and now have a job I dont enjoy.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

The schooling is 180 credits. 108 of which are general classes. That fucking blows!

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

Just don't ger an MIS degree. Its gotten me nowhere

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Exactly. The 108 credits of BS classes is what completely turned me away, and still is. Thus why I went to a trade school and now have a job I dont enjoy.
    its a great feeling knowing this having spent about 20k in your tool setup right?

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

I hear ya man, I have always just thought Business management was a good broad degree to have in your pocket. What have you thought about?
    either electrical engineering or something in the psychology department to become a counselor. Electrical engineering would help me pursue a higher paying job in the field I am in but the psych would just be a whole new career all together and that kinda seems exciting to me.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by korndawg View Post
    Just don't ger an MIS degree. Its gotten me nowhere
    I just googled it. I had no idea that it was .

I could see it being hard to apply to some jobs.

20 bucks an hour is sweet man. I bring home 600$ a week. But I bust my ass and am in a constant blue collar against white collar fight at big Ole Caterpillar. Union Job. Nuff said if you have ever worked for huge union-ized company.

Don't want to burst your bubble but to make 80 to 150K right out of college is most likely not gonna happen. I got a degree in Chemical Engineering made decent money right outta college (5 yrs ago). But truth be told if you are gonna go for business, psychology, or any of those types of degrees and only get a BS, then you are probably not gonna make more then 45K or so right outta school. Heck I know guys who graduated with me that just barely made 40K with a Chem. Eng degree. Do some research before you jump into a career choice. Just cause you get a degree doesn't always mean you will make more then you are making now in the union, however you might get away from the blue collar crap. Also, when you enter the white collar world typically there isn't a 9-5, usually it becomes more like a 7-7 with no overtime.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Absolutely understood. Never would I expect that pay right out of college. You have to work your way up as with any job placement. If I stayed at Cat I would have over 5 years with them by then. No way to I think I will make 80K+ when I get a piece of paper. Would be nice though.

The main thing is to get out of the blue uniform I am actually still wearing from todays work and start moving up some kind of ladder at a job. My hours as of now are pretty sweet. 7 AM to 3:30 PM with no overtime. Fuck overtime.

I did find it slightly amusing getting advice from someone named "nuttyprofessor" though!

Chemical engineering... that sounds way to technical and smart for me.

20 bucks an hour is sweet man. I bring home 600$ a week. But I bust my ass and am in a constant blue collar against white collar fight at bog Ole Caterpillar. Union Job. Nuff said if you have ever worked for huge union-ized company.

Its alot of people with degrees making less then 20 bucks an hour.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Nhra Firebird View Post
    Its alot of people with degrees making less then 20 bucks an hour.
    Im sure at alot of places thats very true. As it sits right now I could go anywhere in the USA and work for Caterpillar and try getting up the latter. But without a degree, its hard to get noticed in the white collar side of things. At my division(Novi Cat) there are probably 15 people making 100 K a year. I saw the $$$ sheet pay roll slipped to someone. Granted, they have been with Cat for 10+ years... but they are making big money with their dumb little piece of paper.

Did you go to any formal college NHRA?

Im sure at alot of places thats very true. As it sits right now I could go anywhere in the USA and work for Caterpillar and try getting up the latter. But without a degree, its hard to get noticed in the white collar side of things. At my division(Novi Cat) there are probably 15 people making 100 K a year. I saw the $$$ sheet pay roll slipped to someone. Granted, they have been with Cat for 10+ years... but they are making big money with their dumb little piece of paper.

Did you go to any formal college NHRA?
    No college for me... I have been at my job for about 10 years now and worked my way up the ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by Nhra Firebird View Post
    No college for me... I have been at my job for about 10 years now and worked my way up the ladder.
    I started out being the guy who cleaned the toilets, and worked my way up to cleaning out the trash cans in the office.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information