Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

People with 4x4 experience come in

Okay here is the deal. The 4x4 in my truck isn't working, the whole right side is seized up and it's going to need a whole new hub and solenoids all that good stuff. Anyways I told the place I took it to that I use it to go off road and down trails and stuff every few months and use it to go mudding and she asked me if I use it full time or just when I get stuck. Well I said I kept it engaged full time and she told me thats why it seized up you only use it when you're stuck or have to climb something you know you need 4x4 for. So if anyone knows anything about that please enlighten the humble noob that I am. Thanks

Impounded

Silver
    02 Camaro Z28

My Z28 still has the stock suspension and has the look of a 4x4 but otherwise, no, no real 4x4 experience.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

My old GT had the stock suspension and looked like it had mud grapplers on it too. Ah the memories.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

its ok to leave the front end locked in, if u have a shiftable transfer case. to twhere u can actually disengage the front end from having power sent to it

yellow
    02 Collector Edition TA

What kind of truck, SFA or IFS, ford, chevy, dodge, crap Yota etc?

She is full of shit if she thinks you don't keep it engaged while wheeling. I used to go to Paragon AP in Penn and wheel in 4 low for 10 hours a day. The only time it shouldn't be in 4wd is when you're on dry pavement and there isn't any wheel slip. You can lock a truck in 4wd and drive on the pavement, as soon as you start to turn you'll cring at the sounds and feel you get. Even read the owners manual, GM says it's ok to use 4wd in rainy conditions.
    Last edited by Bandit02; 11-20-2008 at 07:21 AM.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

what 4x4 are we talkibg about here? just to help me out too

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

2004 F-150 with the electronic 4x4.

navy blue metallic
    1999 Camaro SS

Being full of moisture and mud and shit probably had more to do with it...altho, i can't say its too uncommon for Fords never even leaving the roads to have those kindsa problems. hard to say without seeing the damage done.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

From what I have looked up online its very common with the trucks it was a vacuum solenoid problem

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

OH. i gotcha...you have automatic locking hubs in the front end correct? if so, you can easily goto your local parts store and put in manual locking hubs and you wont have these problems anymore...i had a 88 ford bronco with automatic locking hubs and they took a shit all the time. you get moisture in there and their done. switched to manual and never looked back

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

I heard manual hubs are a PITA though.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by JHayesLS1 View Post
    I heard manual hubs are a PITA though.
    Not more than the PITA you have now.

Someone said that you shouldn't have your 4X4 locked in while on dry pavement, which absolutely 100% correct.

In the winter, my 4X4 is locked in about 60% to 75% of the time, especially in town. The person who said you should only use it when you're stuck or climbing doesn't know jack sh!t about 4 wheel drive.

By going 'muddin', you probably got mud and moisture in your hubs and that's your real problem. Trust me, I've rebuilt the front end of my pickups a few times over the years doing the same thing.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

That and we go in this old construction area that development has stopped in and go through the sand everywhere. Hills and what not. The sand was soft enough to get stuck in and they told me that by having it in 4x4 all the time is what caused it to break.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Well shit. Here is the run down for Ford parts
    Right side hub and bearing: $241.48
    Right Side Actuator: $114.37
    Solenoid IWE + Vacuum: 51.73

Ouch. The main mechanic there told me that the reason it seized up on the right side is because it was not used enough by the person before me. Therefore I have only my dad to blame

But oh well this will make for a cool thread when I go to repair it myself.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by JHayesLS1 View Post
    Well shit. Here is the run down for Ford parts
    Right side hub and bearing: $241.48
    Right Side Actuator: $114.37
    Solenoid IWE + Vacuum: 51.73

Ouch. The main mechanic there told me that the reason it seized up on the right side is because it was not used enough by the person before me. Therefore I have only my dad to blame

But oh well this will make for a cool thread when I go to repair it myself.
    That's how you learn though bro Fix the stuff yourself.......learn a little bit, swear a lot......drink beer......and it's a wrap!

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

yea leaving it in 4wd is not a problem, lol our 87 toyota has been in fwd for goin on 6 years,

Red
    '01 Silverado

i leave my nissan manual hubs locked all the time an have never had a problem with them, an they have been locked for about the last year or so. but it is only used to play in the mud an drive around my house in.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I've always heard that you don't run 4wd all the time.... I'm not talking about just locking the hubs but leaving the truck actually in 4wd. I've heard that making turns on dry pavement is hard on the truck and when mine are locked in on dry pavement you can definitely feel the resistance on sharp turns so I think there's some truth to that. I've had manual hubs and auto hubs over the years. The auto hubs are nice and you don't have to get out to lock them so they're convenient. You also don't have to worry about some jackass locking in just one hub in a parking lot somewhere.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Never engage 4x4 on dry pavement...if you turn you'll bind up the front-end. Other than that you should be golden.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

ok, obviously no one so far has any real 4x4 exp...

1st, lets clarify the difference between 4wd, and awd.

4wd is a feature desigened to increase traction and lower the final drive gear ratio "as needed".

Awd is the system that is designed for low/high speed 4wd all the time... some awd models have selections to move into a 4lo, or even 2hi modes, but will be designated by "awd" on the shifting controls.

a 4wd is designed in such a way that, when disabled, lets the front wheels spin bind free, as those of a 2wd. With models equipped with manual hubs, you can acheive the torque multiplication of "4lo", without the steering bind, by selecting "4lo' with the shift mechanism, but NOT locking the front hubs, this is sometimes very handy for dry pavement apps, such as moving a heavy load at low speeds with plenty of traction, but a steep incline... i.e. a boat ramp... Models equipped with auto-locking hubs aren't capable of said performance, and will tend to be foul tempered under the same conditions, Differential lockers will increase this effect. now, as for leaving your hubs locked all time, or leaving you 4wd fully or partially engaged all/most of the time... if you do, you are ignorant to the purpose of this system... you will experience a decrease in fuel economy, as well as more rapid decomposition of your overall system. Some Models are equipped with "Auto" 4wd, these are electrically shifted systems that monitor wheel speed, if one wheel begins to spin, the computer will automatically engage the 4hi system.

4wd hi is designed for higher speed use on muddy roads, icy pavement, and sandy areas, this system may usually be selected anywhere between 0-55mph depending on manf specs, provided you hubs are auto-locking. if not, you need to lock them when the need of 4wd is foreseeable. 4wd lo is designed for low speed crawling, moving heavy loads short distance, climbing, and anywhere torque multiplication is needed. this system should never exceed 25mph, and you should be between 0 and 5mph max when selecting this mode.

as for the O.P., your problem sound like it is sand related, sand and water/mud are the biggest enemies of bearings... any time you play in the sand or mud/water, you should always repack your axle bearings, and check your diff fluids... as for the "not enuff use" comment... Not true, this is a completely idiotic statement... how can not using something wear it out???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information