Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ALRIGHT NOW wont u listen

though you cant hear..
    i love you sweet leaf!!!

part 2 what kind of gun is this.. pics!!

ok remember when i was asking questions about this gun?, well it turns out that (it was my dads gun, i remembered it as a kid) well this weekend he gave it to me!, so im reading the barrel, it sais 20ga, so it IS a 20ga, BUT now i have more questions, it has what they call a "full choke" i guess its tapered.. anyway i was told that your not soposed to shoot slugs from a tapered barrel...??? i shot an entire box of slugs with this gun and had no issues at all, theres no scarring or anything at all. this shotgun is a "REVELATION" brand gun... good or no? i dont have a clue, it also sais on the gun that it is chambered for 2-3/4 to 3inch shells, and also sais "full choke" and western autoi supply co. its bolt action with a 4-6 shell clip heres some pics i took.

Black
    1999 Trans am

though you cant hear..
    i love you sweet leaf!!!

whats that have to do with my thread? nice gun tho!

Black
    1999 Trans am

i thought it looked cooler

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I've always heard you weren't supposed to shoot slugs through a full choked barrel also. I've never tried it but all my barrels are "modifieds".

though you cant hear..
    i love you sweet leaf!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I've always heard you weren't supposed to shoot slugs through a full choked barrel also. I've never tried it but all my barrels are "modifieds".
    well i looked through this barrel and yes its acually tapered.. so it makes sence, the slug fits in the larger half but when it gets forced to blast through the thinner half.. causes troubles... but i heard that if its not made for slugs and you do happen to shoot a slug.. then it explodes the barrel.... i dont know? weird... wonder if its just a myth.. slugs are fun..kinda usless... but fun.. makes for a hella kick too!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

how do you figure they're useless? They're what you use to deerhunt with. If you want something that kicks go get some 3" 4 shot. It's a 20 gauge so it won't be as bad as a 12 gauge but it'll still kick fairly well. Nothing kicks like a 3" nitromag in my shotgun.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS

Not sure what any of this has to do with cars...lol...but since I know guns, what the hell...I'll chime in...full choke only means you get the widest dispersion shooting regular shotgun shells...i.e., the shot pattern opens up. I don't know of any effect that would have on shooting slugs...unless it would make it less accurate.

though you cant hear..
    i love you sweet leaf!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Badd98CamaroSS View Post
    Not sure what any of this has to do with cars...lol...but since I know guns, what the hell...I'll chime in...full choke only means you get the widest dispersion shooting regular shotgun shells...i.e., the shot pattern opens up. I don't know of any effect that would have on shooting slugs...unless it would make it less accurate.
    yeah thats what i was thinking,, and yeah your right slugs are great for deer... but i hear bow and arrow are better., but when i say usless, i just mean its eaiser to kill shit with BB's, but funner to hit a fast flying bird dead in the gut with a 12ga slug!! thats funny shit there!, but impractical. (unless your a master marksman and a damn good one)

Quote Originally Posted by Knighthawk LS1 View Post
    Click for full size
    Barrett .50 cal...Nice.

I've heard that if shot from a mile away, it generates enough velocity that, if it passes you right above your shoulder, it'll be going so fast it'll rip your face off with it's wake alone.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Badd98CamaroSS View Post
    actually that's wrong. A full choke tightens the pattern up then there's modified and lastly improved cylinder. I also think that the slug rule is meant more for the adjustable screw in chokes because they thread into the inside of the barrel and there *may* be clearance issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Barrett .50 cal...Nice.

I've heard that if shot from a mile away, it generates enough velocity that, if it passes you right above your shoulder, it'll be going so fast it'll rip your face off with it's wake alone.

I heard it'd rip off your weiner and make you impotent.

OOOOH NOOOOOOS!

Future Super Trooper Mr. CarelessAndImprudent's Avatar
    '69 Camaro

how do you figure they're useless? They're what you use to deerhunt with. If you want something that kicks go get some 3" 4 shot. It's a 20 gauge so it won't be as bad as a 12 gauge but it'll still kick fairly well. Nothing kicks like a 3" nitromag in my shotgun.
    Try a 10 gauge, now there is some hellacious kick

Arctic White
    2000 TransAm

Typically, a bolt action shotgun is for dear hunting

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by TMF View Post
    Typically, a bolt action shotgun is for dear hunting
    not if you're good. I've seen plenty rabbit hunt with bolt actions. Just have to be quick.

Arctic White
    2000 TransAm

not if you're good. I've seen plenty rabbit hunt with bolt actions. Just have to be quick.
    I have a Remington 1100 field special for that

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Orion, I'm heading back to West Texas for deer hunting this weekend. I got a new Remington 710 .270 ready to go. I have it sighted for 100yrds and i put 9 rounds of 130 grain ammo in a 1.5" square...

as for the OP's 20ga shotgun. it is not recommended that you shoot a slug through a non-rifled full choke barrel. full choke refers to the length of that specific barrel. that means it will throw a tighter group of pellets farther than if you were using a modified barrel for example. a full choke barrel you would want to use for trap shooting, modified barrel for skeet, and improved barrel for clay pigeons. you base your barrel selection on what your target is. for example i have a Remington 1100 12ga w/a full choke barrel that i only use from trap shooting. if i wanted to use it for skeet shooting the results would not be good. i would have to go out and buy an modified barrel since its shorter to allow the shotguns pellets to spread out over a shorter distance because of the close range you are at when skeet shooting and it weighs less to allow you to swing faster to lead the target...

the threee types are: modified, improved and full choke are the 3 different lengths shotgun barrels come in. i hope this helps you out...

Arctic White
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    Orion, I'm heading back to West Texas for deer hunting this weekend. I got a new Remington 710 .270 ready to go. I have it sighted for 100yrds and i put 9 rounds of 130 grain ammo in a 1.5" square...

as for the OP's 20ga shotgun. it is not recommended that you shoot a slug through a non-rifled full choke barrel. full choke refers to the length of that specific barrel. that means it will throw a tighter group of pellets farther than if you were using a modified barrel for example. a full choke barrel you would want to use for trap shooting, modified barrel for skeet, and improved barrel for clay pigeons. you base your barrel selection on what your target is. for example i have a Remington 1100 12ga w/a full choke barrel that i only use from trap shooting. if i wanted to use it for skeet shooting the results would not be good. i would have to go out and buy an modified barrel since its shorter to allow the shotguns pellets to spread out over a shorter distance because of the close range you are at when skeet shooting and it weighs less to allow you to swing faster to lead the target...

the threee types are: modified, improved and full choke are the 3 different lengths shotgun barrels come in. i hope this helps you out...
    Choke and barrel lengths are 2 different things, some shotguns have adjustable ckokes, some guns have screw-in chokes. The choke is at the end of the barrel, regardless of it's length.

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Agreed, everyone feels those shells in a 12 gauge.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by TMF View Post
    Choke and barrel lengths are 2 different things, some shotguns have adjustable ckokes, some guns have screw-in chokes. The choke is at the end of the barrel, regardless of it's length.
    this is true for adjustable, not fixed barrel lengths. i left adjustable chokes out of my post since i have no experience with them. just the barrels that having different lengths which in effect changes the choke, which alters the pattern, spread and distance of the pellets once they exit the end of the barrel...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information