Thread: Outdoor Cat

Purple
    1998 Trans Am

Outdoor Cat

I just moved into a house that was built in the 70's I think...anyway I am thinking of getting a cat....but an outdoor one to chase away all the other critters...I am having trouble even considering keeping a pet outside....ideas PLEASE????

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

The cats we've had were always indoor/outdoor. They'd meow and sit at door when they wanted out. Check periodically when they wanted back in. As for just outside...my great aunt has barn cats. Outdoor only, and they catch mice like you wouldn't believe. At the same time. You don't hold them, and you pet them only if it's their idea. Not friendly at all. She has couple boxes filled with old blankets she puts in barn in winter. They don't seem to mind, usually form cat piles on really cold nights. But like I said, they are not nice at all. She feeds them, but not so much as they don't want to catch mice.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Get a dog.

Purple
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Get a dog.
    I have a dog! She stays indoors. I don't think dogs eat critters? They aren't famous for that....and if it was a big dog I would not want to clean up the doody!!

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

If you live in a regular neighborhood with other homes close by, you probably wouldn't want to try to keep a cat strictly outdoors, as one of your neighbors would be likely to start feeding it and maybe even try to take it in, if it's willing, thinking it's a stray. I'm actually doing that now for a stray/feral cat here. So in that case I'd recommend an indoor/outdoor cat. I know regular house cats are still pretty active hunters, they can't help it, so you'd probably still get some of the desired pest control.

If you live in a fairly spacious/remote area then yeah an outdoor only cat is more feasible.

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by mrwdjv View Post
    I have a dog! She stays indoors. I don't think dogs eat critters? They aren't famous for that....and if it was a big dog I would not want to clean up the doody!!
    Certain breeds of dogs are more prone to hunting/killing as they've been bred for it for many generations. I don't know off the top of my head, but if you research it a little I'd think you could find info easily enough. I have friends with bigger dogs that are always telling me about them chasing/killing squirrels in particular on their property. I personally don't like knowing that my pet dog has the killer instinct, but to each his own...

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Is there a particular critter that is giving you trouble? Not worth the hassle of a full time pet if you just need to trap one racoon or possum.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Poison their food
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

Purple
    1998 Trans Am

No. I don't have problems yet at all. I have just seen a few spiders and lizards...just trying to think ahead!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

No. I don't have problems yet at all. I have just seen a few spiders and lizards...just trying to think ahead!
    Get a Lion dude........nobody fucks with a Lion!!

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    Certain breeds of dogs are more prone to hunting/killing as they've been bred for it for many generations. I don't know off the top of my head, but if you research it a little I'd think you could find info easily enough. I have friends with bigger dogs that are always telling me about them chasing/killing squirrels in particular on their property. I personally don't like knowing that my pet dog has the killer instinct, but to each his own...
    Dachshunds I call them my mighty hunters

My vote is for indoor/outdoor cat. Mine are and are great mousers. So are my dogs too.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

lmao my mom has a little chihauha mix, and shes a great mouser hahahah

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Dachshunds I call them my mighty hunters
    Oh I agree, remember I'm a Dachshund man too... My motto is 'Chicks like guys with little weiners'

Yeah mine has bug radar, she gets all the palmetto bugs that are foolish enough to enter the house. Thankfully she just kills them and doesn't eat em, cause that'd just be yiickk...

Mystic Teal
    01 Z28

Problem with an outdoor only cat is you have to put it's food outside. Which in turn attracts the very critters you want to get rid of.

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

I got an outdoor cat, he's called the mouser and does a dam good job of it too. Sometimes he'll score big and get him a chipmunk or some squirrel. But i also have a dog and an indoor cat thats de-clawed.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    Oh I agree, remember I'm a Dachshund man too... My motto is 'Chicks like guys with little weiners'

Yeah mine has bug radar, she gets all the palmetto bugs that are foolish enough to enter the house. Thankfully she just kills them and doesn't eat em, cause that'd just be yiickk...
    Which is why I was confused that you didn't mention the little wieners

My Papillons are total bug hunters. Never seen anything like it before.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by MysticZ28 View Post
    Problem with an outdoor only cat is you have to put it's food outside. Which in turn attracts the very critters you want to get rid of.
    That's very true. I had to bring the cat food in because not only did it bring neighborhood cats into our yard, it also brought all the raccoons, Opossums at night (which drove my dogs nuts), and the birds would make a total mess with it during the day too.

Black
    99 SS

I hate my neighbors who keep there cats outide, its total bs, in the summer if you leave the windows down there in my truck or car or in my boat.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Spiders and lizards are a sign of a healthy eco system. If you want them away from your house, save all the hassle of another pet and just spray bug killer around the foundation of your house every 3-4 months.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by MysticZ28 View Post
    Yeah we put a cat door on the shed and fed ours in there. We used to feed them outside but they get really really uncomfortable. They feel vulnerable when they are eating, head down, back turned. Dog could come around the corner and they wouldn't get a chance to run.

Thread Information