Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

To other dealership techs on this board

man working in a shop without GUARANTEE fucking sucks ass. This winter is KILLING ME. That is all.

black
    02 ss camaro

Wow,no Guarantee? That's got to suck.

I have a guarantee at the dealership I wrench at. It's not great,but it's better than nothing.

Black
    2001 Firebird TransAm WS6

what is guarantee?

black
    02 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by grouch0jr View Post
    what is guarantee?
    It means you're guaranteed a certain amount of booked hours per week.

So when there is no work to do,you still have a paycheck.

I'm guessing you don't work on cars for a living.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by importhater81 View Post
    I'm guessing you don't work on cars for a living.
    nope, but i still like to know things.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Never met a rich guy that worked for somebody.
    Homey dont work for nobody. Never has. Worked for the US Navy for awhile. 6 years. Figured it out.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Homey dont work for nobody. Never has. Worked for the US Navy for awhile. 6 years. Figured it out.
    The only fuckers I know of that get rich working for somebody is pro athletes.

Liquid Red
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT

The dealership I work at does not have a guarantee. The last one I worked at did but you had to be there for a year to get it. The guarantee was 32 hours.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    The only fuckers I know of that get rich working for somebody is pro athletes.
    Try again. They are 1099's....

Liquid Red
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT

The dealership I work at does not have a guarantee. The last one I worked at did but you had to be there for a year to get it. The guarantee was 32 hours.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

I dont work to collect a guarantee and have yet to really find a tech that wants to just collect one. However when you got snow days and slow winters in general and see 2 to 3 cars a day tops, and those cars are just oil changes....... You dont make a living. My check yesterday was 185 bucks guys. THats awful. I like my career for the most part, but the way techs get treated is absolutely horrible at times. If i had even a 32 hour guarantee I would have had a respectable paycheck, but this was brutal.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

For people that dont know what the fuck i'm talking about..........

Flat Rape...I mean flat rate: You work a minimum of 40 hrs every week. Theoretically you are in the building 8 hrs a day 5 days a week. You work on cars and each job has a value.... they go in tenths of an hour. So lets say an oil change pays .4...... you get paid 4 tenths of an hour on the oil change. front brakes pays 2.0 and so on. You wanna produce at least 8.0 per day, preferably more. Some jobs take much longer and you get paid less then the time it took you, which puts you in the hole. Then theres gravy jobs that are relatively easy to do and you make time on them. Warranty time absolutely sucks horse cock and its why techs hate warranty work. So if I make 10 hrs a day which gives me 50 hrs a week, I did pretty good. You can do even much better then that. But you can also make less then 40 hrs, hell much less. then you are hurting. A lot of shops pay what they call a guarantee, which protects the tech in the event that the shop is slow or the tech gets nothing but garbage work. Its a respect thing if any. However, theres dealers that try and suggest that if they pay guarantee it allows techs to be "lazy" etc. Its an excuse for them to basically fuck you. Its not the techs fault if the dealership doesnt pull in work. Like I said, no tech wants to make just 40 hrs or less.

To put it another way, imagine going to the office and being there the required amount of time, but your boss saying they are only gonna pay you half that amount. You'd be pissed right?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    I dont work to collect a guarantee and have yet to really find a tech that wants to just collect one. However when you got snow days and slow winters in general and see 2 to 3 cars a day tops, and those cars are just oil changes....... You dont make a living. My check yesterday was 185 bucks guys. THats awful. I like my career for the most part, but the way techs get treated is absolutely horrible at times. If i had even a 32 hour guarantee I would have had a respectable paycheck, but this was brutal.
    That sucks

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

I'm not trying to get rich per se. I go to work in the hopes of making a living. Imagine that.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    That sucks
    The lot guys and parts drivers checks will beat that easy and they arent doing skilled labor. Why should the tech have to pay for the lack of customers? They already make a 300 to 1000 percent markup on the labor rate, the labor rate that is forever going up. It used to be that the tech saw 50 percent of what they call the door rate, now its less then 25 percent. Labor rate at my dealer is like 125 an hour. I get paid 19 dollars an hour. If they at least had work, I could make some decent money. So without guarantee, you can see how this works. You got service managers who are collecting a salary and a commission on top of that

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Get fired so you can collect unemployment and look for a new place to work. Find one that is busy, they have to be out there somewhere
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Get fired so you can collect unemployment and look for a new place to work. Find one that is busy, they have to be out there somewhere
    Nearly all the shops in my area are slow, we have been just inundated with bad weather this winter, however most of them do pay a guarantee. Yes I'm giving this place another 2 or 3 checks chance and I'll be makng a move, the box has wheels and im not afraid to change shops anymore. I dont want unemployment, I wanna be in a shop making good time etc. I like what i do. I just also love getting paid for the work. Its a pride thing. I took this current job because I liked what Im getting paid as my hourly rate.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    Nearly all the shops in my area are slow, we have been just inundated with bad weather this winter, however most of them do pay a guarantee. Yes I'm giving this place another 2 or 3 checks chance and I'll be makng a move, the box has wheels and im not afraid to change shops anymore. I dont want unemployment, I wanna be in a shop making good time etc. I like what i do. I just also love getting paid for the work. Its a pride thing. I took this current job because I liked what Im getting paid as my hourly rate.
    I understand, I was going off the idea that unemployment check would be bigger then that piece of shit $180 check. Got to make money to live unfor

Black

i know plenty of rich people who work for some body. i also know plenty of broke mother fuckers who dont work for anybody.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    I understand, I was going off the idea that unemployment check would be bigger then that piece of shit $180 check. Got to make money to live unfor
    Its good to know unemp is available and it serves it purpose, but its also a freakin trap man lol Once you collect for a bit, you get stuck in a rut. I like to work. I like a hard days work. I know the customers might not think so, but most techs really do enjoy repairing your car and knowing that you are happy and able to get around and rely on your vehicle to get you where you need to go. But when you do this for a living, you grow to realize its a thankless job. I hear so many stories about the old days, before the bottom fell out of the industry and the techs were treated with respect. Those UTI commercials people see are soooooo full of shit its disgusting.

I feel great when I complete a tough repair, or overcome a challenge on a car. But then I find out what the labor time pays on it and it takes the wind right out of you lol

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information