pewter
    2002 Trans Am

opposing war in Iraq

I need every ones opinions. i am doing a paper on the war in Iraq and trying to get the opinions of every one who opposes it.

So tell me why you oppose it and if you can give me some facts

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

put this in the political debate section, you'll get a lot of responses there ....

pewter
    2002 Trans Am

Your a smart smart man

pewter
    2002 Trans Am

But i need some quick help...... anyone? haha the paper is due tomorow and im all out of idea's

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

Sorry, you'll have to research your own facts unless you want to pay me to do the paper for you!

But here are some points to start with.

1. Our military is stretched too thin, with troops stationed in Germany, Japan, Afghanistan, South Korea... google it and you'll find we've got troops in like 20-30 more locations worldwide. A recent article speculated that we don't have enough national guard troops at home to handle any type of major civil emergency.

2. Iraq didn't have weapons of mass destruction after all!

3. Iraq never attacked the United States directly so far as we could prove.

4. Iraq is rich in oil, and peak oil could be just around the corner, or maybe an upcoming clash with Russia and China over the world's remaining oil reserves is on the horizon. So maybe that's what the Iraq war was REALLY all about, putting another oil rich middle-eastern country in our back pocket.

5. Many nations opposed our invasion of Iraq. Our global image declined as a result, at a time when we need allies to help flush out the terrorists.

Any of those points can be argued either way, but I hope that helps.

White
    1998 Trans Am

"no blood for oil" "bush is an idiot"

that is what people always tell me anyways haha i was for the war in the beginning, so i'm not gonna second guess although it is a mess, what can ya do? those people are crazy over there.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

I' , m aopposed to the awar because i enhjoy yelling at coffins holdin "god hates fags" signs*

*Just kidding. Hopefully you'll learn your lesson and won't procrastinate anymore.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

1. instead of appealing to the united nations and international community we made the bold move to basically go it alone for our own reasons
    2. pre-invasion intelligence was faulty and not entirely reliable yet it was assumed to be absolutely true for some reason
    3. the post invasion plan for occupation was flawed from the beginning and it took the troop surge of 2007 to remedy the mistakes made in 2003 which cost many troops their lives
    4. the U.S. Constitution forbids preemptive war
    5. the U.S. Constitution states that the Congress must pass a declaration of war. Congress never did this.
    6. if we wanted to go after the real terrorists behind 9/11 we would have invaded saudi arabia not iraq
    7. we have to stop meddling in the internal affairs of other sovereign nations
    8. guard and reserve forces are being stretched to the breaking point some on their 3rd combat tour while suicide rates are at their highest levels to date
    9. the war is bankrupting the nation sending us into trillions of dollars of debt at the expense of the working middle class and ruining the currency through inflation and recession
    10. my father, a WWII combat vet, was very pro iraq war up until about this year and he has now said that it is time to bring the troops home...that it didn't take us this long to get rid of hitler

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast2blegal View Post
    I need every ones opinions. i am doing a paper on the war in Iraq and trying to get the opinions of every one who opposes it.

So tell me why you oppose it and if you can give me some facts
    I oppose it because Bush and Halliburton aren't sharing the newfound plunder wealth with us.

Oh yeah also, because innocent humans are dying, yada yada yada.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

hind site is 20/20 , a lot of people complaining about the war dont realize that, during war, innocent people die, soldiers die, bad people die.

Iraq and Afghanistan housed many terrorists that hate everything we stand for, we'll kill them before they come to our homeland

20K+ posts in 2004

None
    None

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    1. instead of appealing to the united nations and international community we made the bold move to basically go it alone for our own reasons
    2. pre-invasion intelligence was faulty and not entirely reliable yet it was assumed to be absolutely true for some reason
    3. the post invasion plan for occupation was flawed from the beginning and it took the troop surge of 2007 to remedy the mistakes made in 2003 which cost many troops their lives
    4. the U.S. Constitution forbids preemptive war
    5. the U.S. Constitution states that the Congress must pass a declaration of war. Congress never did this.
    6. if we wanted to go after the real terrorists behind 9/11 we would have invaded saudi arabia not iraq
    7. we have to stop meddling in the internal affairs of other sovereign nations
    8. guard and reserve forces are being stretched to the breaking point some on their 3rd combat tour while suicide rates are at their highest levels to date
    9. the war is bankrupting the nation sending us into trillions of dollars of debt at the expense of the working middle class and ruining the currency through inflation and recession
    10. my father, a WWII combat vet, was very pro iraq war up until about this year and he has now said that it is time to bring the troops home...that it didn't take us this long to get rid of hitler
    Retort:
    1.We did go to the UN...3 countries opposed going in. Later found out to be on the take from Saddam.
    2. It was assumed to be true because there was ZERO evidence to the contrary and other nations backed it up for the better part of 12 years.
    3. This is totally debatable point. There were not enough troops and not enough planning. We underestimated the will of the Iraqi people right at the beginning of the war.
    4. Which article is that?
    5. Congress hasn't passed that since Dec. 8th 1941. It doesn't even apply anymore.
    6. Yea, lets disrupt the largest distributor of oil in the world...can you say world wide economic meltdown? WHat makes you think that situation would have been any better than Iraq?
    7. OK, lets. You ready for super inflation? If you don't protect the resourse that your country runs on then you might as well pack it in.
    8. I think this is a valid point.
    9. Typical liberal talking points. It isn't bankrupting anything. It isn't affecting the middle class at all. It is such a stupid ass argument.
    10. Props to your dad but this is a different kind of war. Go watch what the soldiers involved in Black Hawk Down said about leaving too early and the consequences that followed that decision. You can see that at the end of the History Channels program "The Real Story of Black Hawk Down". Check your local listings.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

The war itself is all fine but the government really screwed up planning a post war strategy (if that was ever really possible to begin with).

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by mrgto View Post
    Retort:
    1.We did go to the UN...3 countries opposed going in. Later found out to be on the take from Saddam.
    2. It was assumed to be true because there was ZERO evidence to the contrary and other nations backed it up for the better part of 12 years.
    3. This is totally debatable point. There were not enough troops and not enough planning. We underestimated the will of the Iraqi people right at the beginning of the war.
    4. Which article is that?
    5. Congress hasn't passed that since Dec. 8th 1941. It doesn't even apply anymore.
    6. Yea, lets disrupt the largest distributor of oil in the world...can you say world wide economic meltdown? WHat makes you think that situation would have been any better than Iraq?
    7. OK, lets. You ready for super inflation? If you don't protect the resourse that your country runs on then you might as well pack it in.
    8. I think this is a valid point.
    9. Typical liberal talking points. It isn't bankrupting anything. It isn't affecting the middle class at all. It is such a stupid ass argument.
    10. Props to your dad but this is a different kind of war. Go watch what the soldiers involved in Black Hawk Down said about leaving too early and the consequences that followed that decision. You can see that at the end of the History Channels program "The Real Story of Black Hawk Down". Check your local listings.
    3. the iraqi people aren't the base of insurgent activity so it is not the iraqis that we underestimated it was the level of resistance from the muslim world.
    4. i was damn sure that i read it and now i can't find it. but it does say that funds appropriated for an army shall be valid for only two years at a time and that the militia is only to be called for to supress insurrections, repel invasion, and execute the laws of the Union. so it's rather bogus that the national guard is being used in iraq.
    5. regarding the constitution...until it is amended it is the absolute law of the land and it is SUPPOSED to be adhered to not cast aside.
    6. well i'm certainly not advocating that we should have invaded saudi arabia, but the argument that al-qaeda was in iraq and iraq was supporting al-qaeda and terrorist activity related to 9/11 was false and a pretty large stretch considering that the vast majority of the hijackers were saudis.
    7. i have no problem talking and trading evenly with nations but to invade them for their resources or in the case of iran overthrow the government in 1954 for their oil is just a disastrous mistake on our part and will only create further havoc down the line.
    9. we are 9 trillion dollars in debt right now and growing ( http://brillig.com/debt_clock/ ). tax breaks have gone to the wealthy not the middle class, and jobs that are being outsourced or destroyed and they are middle class jobs.
    10. we thought that there would be disastrous consequences for pulling out of korea and vietnam. south korea is a modern thriving economy. from 1990 through present vietnam has had a gdp growth of 7%-8% making it the second fasted growing economy in the world due in large part to foreign investors.

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

If you ever want reason to be here it is pretty simple. Get on a plane, fly here, and have a simple 20 minute conversation with anyone in the majority of the population. They will express extreme gratitude for your country's will to participate in a program that has saved there lives as well as the lives of there children. Iraqis people lived in fear everyday of there lives and now that we have invaded Iraq (which may not have been the biggest threat to the United States) we have overthrown a terrible dictator and set up a middle eastern stronghold that we will be able to use in the future. Terrorist training camps are all over the middle east however while we are here the insurgants are coming to us to try and kill US instead of the people sitting at there home computers right now bitching about the war. Thanks for your support.

Sebring Silver
    00 Camaro SS/09 LS3 Vette

We're still in Korea. Iraq is not Korea. Soldiers still still die on the DMZ. It just never makes the news. And you can thank the United States for their freedom and democracy. Thanks for proving why we need to stay here. Look at North Korea. Is that a thriving economy?

Mistake or not we are here.
    You can't just leave these people. It'll turn into a massacre.

But then again I'm on my second tour here. What would I know?

Sebring Silver
    00 Camaro SS/09 LS3 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    If you ever want reason to be here it is pretty simple. Get on a plane, fly here, and have a simple 20 minute conversation with anyone in the majority of the population. They will express extreme gratitude for your country's will to participate in a program that has saved there lives as well as the lives of there children. Iraqis people lived in fear everyday of there lives and now that we have invaded Iraq (which may not have been the biggest threat to the United States) we have overthrown a terrible dictator and set up a middle eastern stronghold that we will be able to use in the future. Terrorist training camps are all over the middle east however while we are here the insurgants are coming to us to try and kill US instead of the people sitting at there home computers right now bitching about the war. Thanks for your support.
    Fucking A right. I'm sick of these guys back home talking about shit they see on the news and then repeat it like it's some sort of fact or they're in the "know."

You can regurgitate facts all you want. But until your professor has served.... I would tell him to take his paper and shove it up his ass. Why you are against the war? I hope he counters with something positive.

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyLs1 View Post
    Fucking A right. I'm sick of these guys back home talking about shit they see on the news and then repeat it like it's some sort of fact or they're in the "know."

You can regurgitate facts all you want. But until your professor has served.... I would tell him to take his paper and shove it up his ass. Why you are against the war? I hope he counters with something positive.
    Haha, you used the same exact word I was wishing I had used after i posted. All people "know" is what they regurgitate from the media or internet posts. It is a very different world when you have spent even a little time here. I am on my second tour as well and there are little differences now than the last tim eI was here to really tell that the country is improving. Simple things such as the prices in the Iraqi stores going up as there economy gets better and instead of paying random people 5$ a day to work on post they have actually formed plenty of businesses to take car of things we need them to do for us.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyLs1 View Post
    We're still in Korea. Iraq is not Korea. Soldiers still still die on the DMZ. It just never makes the news. And you can thank the United States for their freedom and democracy. Thanks for proving why we need to stay here. Look at North Korea. Is that a thriving economy?

Mistake or not we are here.
    You can't just leave these people. It'll turn into a massacre.

But then again I'm on my second tour here. What would I know?
    i never said that north korea was thriving...i said south korea was. north korea is a shithole because they live under the rule of an oppressive dictatorship that threatened the stability of the region 60 years ago. a peace treaty has finally been signed which is long overdue and in the right direction. but it is not the fault of the U.S. that north koreans attacked their own countrymen in the south and waged a war against them for unity.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

i might also say that a lot of the things that i say on here i take in from service members in the army and marines. i know soldiers that say that it is a waste of time and pointless to be over there...several actually.

and then on the flip side i personally know a Brig. Gen. that served over there and stated a lot of things that i believe are going on that don't make the news such as rebuilding of schools, hospital...etc.

so i'm not just talking out of my ass here i'm collecting information from several varied first hand sources and forming my own opinion about things. i have to get those first hand sources from other people because the army deemed me unfit to serve while i was in basic training back in 2001. had i remained in i would have been deployed to the mid-east back in 2005/2006.

SS Driver

Black
    00 Camaro SS #5255

Saddam was today's Hitler. No matter what the reason for going in, he needed taken down. Anybody that would gas their own people needs a short drop with a sudden stop.

Thread Information