Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions?

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Opinions?

I know it's been a while since I have been on here but I hopped on to get everybody's opinion on a truck I am going to go look at tomorrow. I will be trading the Trans Am in on this truck. But can I get some pros and cons on this what to look for while driving this truck.

Hickory, NC certified 2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Ext Cab Z71 4x4 - Everett Chevrolet Buick GMC, Hickory, NC, Truck, 5.3L V8

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Keep the Trans AM and get a cheaper truck is my opinion.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

The Trans Am has had it, I just can't afford it anymore, as well as I need something more comfortable more reliable with a warranty. Plus the trans am is my daily driver I am tired of a manual, tired of fixing it every other month when the check engine light comes on. Plus I think they tranny is about to go as well as the rear, if I could I would keep it to put down to make it a weekend warrior but I just don't have the money to do that plus the space where I live. Plus I need something to haul all of my military equipment all the time, try stuffing 2 ruck sacks 6 duffle bags in a trans am lol.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

By the way I forgot to mention my buddy is the salesman, which he has already told me he is already going to knock 5k off, my step dad went to him and got a 2011 base model of that truck with 20k on the clock for 16k flat lol. They are trying to push out all of those trucks to make more room for there 2013 trucks.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Never really saw any problems with them when I worked in the dealer. If you can get it for a good price I'd do it

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I hope they will give you a decent price on your car for the trade.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Well I have already been told from a current member on here that he will give me 5300 for it and the parts that I still have for it which are brand new!! And GTP what would you expect would be a price straight off the lot you would pay for it?

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

I have a 2011 GMC Sierra crew cab. I definitely like the new trucks, big improvement over the 2007 and previous generation. Great ride, good power. Turning radius in parking lots sucks, you will be doing 3 and 4 point turns. You will find the Z71 suspension a bit stiff compared to the standard suspension. 4x4 is nice if you have a use for it, if not, it is just more maintenance and less mileage. I prefer the crew cab over the extended cab for convenience and comfort of passengers but you lose some bed space to get the extra doors. The 5.3 is a good engine; not great but very good. The 5.3 tows well. Mine has the 6 spd automatic that provides assistance by downshifting the trans when I begin to slow while towing, very nice! Maintenance issues are pretty limited with these trucks but it is possible you will have something happen. Hopefully you still have some bumper to bumper warranty left when you buy the truck. My top 3 mods for this truck 1) spray in bed liner that covers over the top rails, 2) front of hood air deflector to help keep the bugs off the windshield, 3) tow package with electric brake controller. If you put on the hood air deflector and suddenly hear a tapping noise like hail hitting the windshield, it is the vertical windshield trim pieces flapping in the increased wind force. GM has a TSB published that the dealer can use to put double sided tape on the trim to fix the problem for free. Good luck with your truck!

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Nice rig but I don't think you'll get that for 16k like your dad did on his base model. After TTL and any extended warranty it creeps into the "not worth the payment" category. That's not even including the high mileage (for the year) and the lower resale it'll always have.

If you can afford a $300-$400 car payment just save up for 6 months and you'll be able to fix any issues with the TA. With the rear seat down space shouldn't be a problem...stack her to the roof bro. When I EAS'd I had tons of shit and it fit just fine. Plus you'll miss the speed, looks and mpg of your TA.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    Nice rig but I don't think you'll get that for 16k like your dad did on his base model. After TTL and any extended warranty it creeps into the "not worth the payment" category. That's not even including the high mileage (for the year) and the lower resale it'll always have.

If you can afford a $300-$400 car payment just save up for 6 months and you'll be able to fix any issues with the TA. With the rear seat down space shouldn't be a problem...stack her to the roof bro. When I EAS'd I had tons of shit and it fit just fine. Plus you'll miss the speed, looks and mpg of your TA.
    Honestly the price has already been dropped down to 20k, and I am tired of the T/A tired of the reocurring problems, and the ride is horrible on my body plus with all of the extra extracurricular stuff I do it will benefit me much better than the T/A will ever do, since it is a daily driver. I wish It was a weekend warrior instead of a daily driver then it wouldn't be so hard of a choice to choose this truck since it would be straight out lol. Gas mileage I am not to worried about cause I do full time military honor guard most of the time I am driving a GSA vehicle which I don't pay for fuel. Plus not only do I have my gear but my girlfriends since she is in the army with me as well.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

4x4 > f-body..

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    4x4 > f-body..
    Thanks Smittro, that is what I was looking for, honestly a fbody is just eye candy no real world use in this car comparable to what this truck can do for me. So I am going to shoot for a newer vehicle with great capabilities, more use in my life.

My opinion: Keep your T/A. Have your gf buy the truck. Best of both worlds.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    Thanks Smittro, that is what I was looking for,
    You were looking for people to come in and tell you that you're making the right decision? It sounds like you already had your mind up anyway, and only you will know what the right choice for you is. That said it looks like a decent truck.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

You can bet on the fact you'll get more use from a truck.. Any truck really.

You can use an f-body for a DD, but the first time you need to haul something larger than a dog forget it...lol

Also a 4-wheel drive gives you more options on where you can go vs. a rear wheel drive car.

Then as you mentioned there's also the warranty that comes with a brand new vehicle.

That alone instantly eliminates the nickle and dime stuff right now you sometimes get with a 10-15 year old car..

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I purchased a 10 year 100k bumper to bumper warranty for my rig, with a $100 deductable.

Brakes, wiper blades, and tires is all I have to worry about.

Drop an axle: $100

Drop a trany: $100

Drop an engine: $100

Drop them all @ the same time: $100

it's a no brainer..

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^Have you done the math on that extended warranty? Usually it never works out to the buyers advantage.

How often does an engine/transmission/axle normally fail. Rarely. So, I tell people to give me the $2,000 (or $2800, I've seen these really!) for the extended warranty, I'll keep it in my bank and give you the money as needed, and then I keep the leftover cash when the warranty is up. Also remember, that $2k warranty is now $2100, 2200, 2300 every time there is a claim. You don't think those warranty companies are making a crapload of $$$? Of course there are exceptions and I'm sure someone will tell me how much they saved by getting the warranty, but if that were true all the time then the warranty price would be way higher or it wouldn't be offered. For every person who has cashed in on an extended warranty I bet there are 10 who have never used more than a couple hundred bucks worth. Then they have the deductible. And have you ever tried to use it? What a fight for approval that is.

Whew sorry for the rant, I've just seen so many people get ripped off this way.

OP, sorry to see the TA go, get ready for high gas bills (fill that truck's tank, check your MPG). And if you are not liking the ride of a sports car when you are 23 years old, I hope your body isn't all beat up from military duty. Seems like a nice truck, tho, if you really need one. I'd also vote to keep the TA and buy a cheaper truck, but I understand your situation.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

It works out to my advantage every time I DON'T have to get under it..XD

I never said it was cheaper, even though it usually is..

Peace of mind is priceless..imho

I have manufacture warraty with $0.00 deductable to 50K.

After that the warranty my Camaro paid for kicks in.. Have'nt had a need to use the warranty yet.

I'm at a point in my personal life I don't get under DD's anymore to keep one running.. I get rid of them or pay to have it fixed.

Unless of course it's a hobby project car..XD Then I do it for fun.
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-07-2012 at 04:56 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Then there's also the guy whom can't affort to come up with the lump sum money for a repair they need today.

Warranty just paid for itself..

Let's see,, $1000 and up for a new engine, $1000 or more in labor (not everyone has the means nor time to DIY and engine swap), then they still have to come up with their 3-4-500 dollar a month car payment and their insurrance for the month.

Hmm let's do the math,, $100 to say $500 deductable plus I/they get a free loaner car while work is being done by an INSURRED repair shop.. Hmmm

I mean shit I have never had an insurrance claim (which also has a deductable) for an accident on my cars/trucks in the last 20+ years, does that mean I should'nt have it??

Ya, warranties are dumb..

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    ^^^Have you done the math on that extended warranty? Usually it never works out to the buyers advantage.

How often does an engine/transmission/axle normally fail. Rarely. So, I tell people to give me the $2,000 (or $2800, I've seen these really!) for the extended warranty, I'll keep it in my bank and give you the money as needed, and then I keep the leftover cash when the warranty is up. Also remember, that $2k warranty is now $2100, 2200, 2300 every time there is a claim. You don't think those warranty companies are making a crapload of $$$? Of course there are exceptions and I'm sure someone will tell me how much they saved by getting the warranty, but if that were true all the time then the warranty price would be way higher or it wouldn't be offered. For every person who has cashed in on an extended warranty I bet there are 10 who have never used more than a couple hundred bucks worth. Then they have the deductible. And have you ever tried to use it? What a fight for approval that is.

Whew sorry for the rant, I've just seen so many people get ripped off this way.

OP, sorry to see the TA go, get ready for high gas bills (fill that truck's tank, check your MPG). And if you are not liking the ride of a sports car when you are 23 years old, I hope your body isn't all beat up from military duty. Seems like a nice truck, tho, if you really need one. I'd also vote to keep the TA and buy a cheaper truck, but I understand your situation.
    This style of thinking has serious flaws. Insurance works the same way but most people have insurance. If you never get in an accident you are just throwing money down the drain but whne you do you will be glad you have it. Same thing with a warranty. I never had a problem using my extended warranties, take it to a shop that accepts those warranties, they send out an inspector which has never had an issue even when my 2000 T/A was modded and they replaced 3 valve springs under the warranty.

To the OP ever since I started DDing trucks I will always have a truck on hand and won't be without one. You really do not know what you are missing until you use one everyday. 6.5x5 feet of storage without sacraficing seating room is great. I often times fill my bed with hunting/camping/party supplies and put 6 butts in my 6 seats and head up north or to the beach or where ever. I hunt which makes the 4x4 useful and living in WI snow happens and a 2wd truck in the snow isn't all that great.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 11-07-2012 at 05:32 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information