Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Online SCAM targeting LS1 Owners!!!!!

This is a discussion on Online SCAM targeting LS1 Owners!!!!! within the Almost Anything Goes forums, part of the Off - Topic / Discussion forums category; Originally Posted by 94z28l its too bad there isnt like an option for some sort of temp. escrow account for ...

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by 94z28l View Post
    its too bad there isnt like an option for some sort of temp. escrow account for purchases that exceed paypal limits or something for when shit like this does happen
    That is a great idea and real security when shopping online. You are a young guy, if you want to build an online auction site that does this, you will put ebay out of business!!!

Great idea! You should seriously think about this. You wouldn't need much capital to make it happen!

Low risk buying! Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthracis View Post
    Been there done that...seller does not respond. Paypal in standby. I doubt if they will come through. I hope that they do! Ebay won't even take the claim because it was through paypal. I contacted my bank but they have to wait until paypal is done. I am just screwed all the way around.
    i sold an ipod on ebay once and the guy reported it not working, paypal pulled the money right out of my account until the dispute was settled. file a claim you should get your money back.

If you used a bank account they can reverse the charges, credit card have them do it... go over paypals head if they wont fix this.

18D Cock Diesel

UPDATE!!!

Just got a call from the Illinois State Police today. I spoke to the investigator assigned to the case.

I guess that the IC3 (FBI and local LE collaboration) forwarded my complaint to them. They said that they are contacting Chris Caprio at this time and if he does not respond, they will be stopping by his place.

I also spoke to Mark again today and he added that he was able to get another piece to the puzzle. I guess that this Chris Caprio would get money from people like us and then sub the work out to a guy in North Carolina (Phil Cook). I guess this guy has a connection to getting rear ends cheaper or something. Anyways, he just sub'd the thing out and the guy would drop ship the completed parts to whomever. I guess that Mark also contacted Moser and they added that Chris Caprio hadn't bought anything from them since early April and that was some small minor parts.

That's it thus far. I am stading by to see what happens. The investigator said that they should be able to get me my money. The investigator added that I would most likely get my money because I did not just send him a money order and I did not send it to some place out of the country.

I will get justice!!!

Justice is always on the side of the righteous! HOOOAH!

black
    85 suburban for now

i hope someone goes and kicks the living sh@t out of this prick for scammn people!!!!!!!!!!

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

Didn't get a chance yet but have kept up with the story so far. Still need that drive by or just let the cops handle it ?

18D Cock Diesel

Update!!

LET THE COPS HANDLE IT!!

UPDATE!!

I just got an email from Chris Caprio this evening. Here it is:

"Tom,
    I am in no way ripping you off. I left it up to my
    suppliers to get the parts out like they have never
    had a problem doing in the past and I was on vacation
    for the past week so my phone was not working. I
    apologize that you have no received your parts you
    definately should have had them by now. If you would
    like I can sort this out with my suppliers and get
    everything rushed to you ASAP or I can refund your
    money if you like. I greatly apologize again for the
    confusion. This has never happened before and I am
    embaressed by it.

Chris"

1. You guys reading should know that Chris' supplier already told both Mark and myself that he hadn't ordered a thing.

2. Phone was not working because he was on vacation!? What a stupid excuse! They never disconnect my number when I take a vacation for a week!!

3.He never ordered any parts.

NOW LET ME SHARE WITH YOU GUYS WHAT HE REALLY IS SAYING IN HIS EMAIL TO ME (NO BULLSHIT VERSION):

"TOM,
    I JUST GOT CONTACTED BY THE ILLINOIS STATE POLICE. I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT YOU ACTUALLY CONTACTED THE AUTHORITIES. I THOUGHT THAT I GOT AWAY CLEAN WITH YOUR MONEY! I SHUT OFF MY PHONE AND TOOK DOWN MY WEBSITE. I EVEN STOPPED RESPONDING TO YOUR EMAILS AND PHONE CALLS. I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU GOT MY MOM'S HOME NUMBER, ADDRESS, AND MY BIRTHDATE!

NOW I KNOW THAT YOU AREN'T JUST GOING TO GO AWAY AND I MAY ACTUALLY GET ARRESTED FOR FRAUD. SOOOOO, EVEN THOUGH I DON'T WANT TO, I WILL ACTUALLY GET YOU THE PARTS YOU ORDERED AND PAID FOR.....OR.....I WILL GIVE YOU YOUR MONEY BACK.

I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE THAT YOU CONTACTED THE AUTHORITIES AND WERE ABLE TO STILL TRACK ME DOWN. DAMN YOU MAN!!

-CHRIS"

I think that I will be getting my money soon! I emailed him back just this simple phrase: "Refund my money immediately." We'll see what happens.

Standby for more updates!

18D Cock Diesel

I had also called his mom's house. Yep...he's 24 and still lives at home!!!!! Not that there's anything wrong with that! lol

I also found some more info on Chris Caprio today...physical description. He is 6'2" and approximately 225 pounds with bodyfat in the 18-22% range. He was born in Bartlett, Illinois. Just one more nail in his coffin! He also claims to be close to his black belt (what a joke...I eat black belts for breakfast and shit insurgents).

Anyhow, no refund to PayPal as of yet. I'll give him a few more days before I follow up with the Illinois State Police.

18D Cock Diesel

UPDATE!!!!

I got an email from PayPal stating that a refund is pending and that it should take approximately 7 days to process.

I'll withold judgment until I get the funds in my account. But so far it looks like I win! Hooah!

He thought he was gonna get $2668+ that easily? He must be DEE DEE DEE!

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Thanks a lot guys. So far here is what I know. I just got a hold of someone who claims to be the STEPSON of this Christopher Caprio. "Dan" is the name he claimed. But the way he spoke, his intonation, his vocal patterns, and everything else, his demeanor, etc...all fit with the birthday of 5/9/83. I was able to gather this from other sites he frequented. The number I was able to get for this guy was (630) 830-3374. This is how I got a hold of him.

I know this guy's address, DOB, name, name of his relative Jacqueline Caprio, and other info. I contacted the Hanover Park Police Department and spoke to the desk Sargeant. He said that an investigator would be contacting me in the morning and will follow up on the case.

Also, the idiots at my bank processed my claim incorrectly so there is another couple of days lost due to stupidity. PayPal is still investigating the claim as well. And Ebay too. We'll see what happens. I know the police will be to his house in the morning. At least that is good.

I also spoke to the IC3. The Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) is a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C). We will see what that leads to as well.

That's it for now! Stand by for more developments soon. I will get this guy. Karma is a motherf@cker!
    Damn! You're better than the detectives that were working with my sister that got her house robbed. Her and her husband did there own research and investigating and found out that it was the 15-17 year olds next door that did it. They brought all the info to the investigators, and they still got no help! I'm glad things turned out good for you...you da man

18D Cock Diesel

Thanks but I really could not have done it without the help I got from IC3, the Illinois State Police, Mark (another victim of this guy), Phil Cook (the guy's supplier), and whitelightnin99 here on ls1.com.

I would also like to thank all of you for your support and constructive comments. Its good to know that there are some good people left in the world.

It may have been easier for me because I am military and have LE background as well. But for those that don't have that background, here are some tips:

1. Do background research on the company BEFORE you give them a dime. Check out their site, rating, when they last sold anything, etc...
    2. If you do get taken, file a complaint with the company, the auction site, PayPal (if you paid via PayPal), your bank, and the Internet Crime Complaint Center. These are some people that may be able to help.
    3. Do as much internet research as you can on the individual(s) involved. Try to locate alternate addresses, emails, DOBs, SSNs, etc...search other forums for more info.
    4. Document all communications in writing and save a copy.
    5. Do not send any money via Western Union or any such thing.
    6. Do not send a money order to anyone.
    7. Do not send any money overseas like to Nigeria or the Bahamas or any place like that. Stick to good ole US of A.

I hope this helps you guys and I hope that you really dont ever have to deal with anything like I had to. This type of shit is really very time consuming and you have to stay on top of it!

Thanks again for all your support...you guys are awesome!

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

im glad things worked out for you and thanks for the warning

18D Cock Diesel

UPDATE!!!!!!

Sorry for the delay in updates guys, I have been out of town on some business. Upon my return I checked my email and this was there from the High Tech Crimes Unit of the Sacramento County Sheriffs Department:

"I received your complaint about capriomotorsports.com.

i contacted chris caprio and he claims he sent you a refund via paypal last week.

did you received the refund?

thanks

Suzanne J. McClary # 731
    Sheriff Records Officer
    Hi-Tech Crimes Task Force
    Sacramento Sheriffs Department
    (916) 919-4364 cell
    (916) 874-3002 desk
    (916) 874-3006 fax
    www.sachitechcops.org"

I checked my bank account and $$$$$CH-CHING! I got my cash back in my account!!!!!

I thought I would check in and let you guys know that I got my money! Damn, that was a f'in ordeal but I got 'er done! Thanks for all your help and support! I guess this thread is now over. Thanks again!

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

UPDATE!!!!!!

Sorry for the delay in updates guys, I have been out of town on some business. Upon my return I checked my email and this was there from the High Tech Crimes Unit of the Sacramento County Sheriffs Department:

"I received your complaint about capriomotorsports.com.

i contacted chris caprio and he claims he sent you a refund via paypal last week.

did you received the refund?

thanks

Suzanne J. McClary # 731
    Sheriff Records Officer
    Hi-Tech Crimes Task Force
    Sacramento Sheriffs Department
    (916) 919-4364 cell
    (916) 874-3002 desk
    (916) 874-3006 fax
    www.sachitechcops.org"

I checked my bank account and $$$$$CH-CHING! I got my cash back in my account!!!!!

I thought I would check in and let you guys know that I got my money! Damn, that was a f'in ordeal but I got 'er done! Thanks for all your help and support! I guess this thread is now over. Thanks again!
    glad everythings back to normal for you

2nd last of the lt1s EVAR 94z28l's Avatar

purple pearl metalic
    1994 Z28 Camaro

good deal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information