Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

One step closer!

First and foremost, HAPPY VETERANS DAY!!

So I made a bold move in helping my life and the life of my family.....I invested my savings (Since the new job) into becoming my own company and getting away from the place I work at Smittro/Jiveass/BlackBird all know this because they are friends with me on FB BUT all the money I had saved up for my Camaro (Dyno/Tires/Etc...) I invested into my Company (Tax deductible) I've pulled in 1 job so far from my work that will pay $6000 (After material is paid) and after I pay my employee, I'll be making around $165/hr for that job 1 job doesn't do shit obviously but I really think I can make it Scary thing is draining my savings but you have to spend money to make money. I'm still working at my current location and doing the jobs on the side until I can get enough money together to advertise (Newspaper/TV/billboards) I've never did anything like this so if anyone here has some advise for me....I'm willing to take it. Anyone who has ever had their own business or own one or even are familiar with anything you think I might need....throw out your .02. I want all the help I can get
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I hope it works out well for you Good luck.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I hope so too

By the way Reef, do you need a bath wrap by any chance

Had to plug the product

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

So what is this wonder business? Is it something more local to your area or would you cover up by Wausau?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    I hope so too

By the way Reef, do you need a bath wrap by any chance

Had to plug the product
    No. Sorry. I'm rather partial to tile and porcelain enamel

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

We've covered from Cassville, WI all the way to Northern Ill.....Wausau I'm familiar with and isn't more then a 1 1/2 drive from my area so it is totally in my area. For what I do, here is my facebook page (Hope not against the rules )

Petersen's Bathroom Wraps | Facebook

And to Reef...a great tile job looks....well great BUT grout/tile for the AVERAGE household are hard to maintain and make look good. These walls are anti-microbial and the caulk is too so you can forget about mold or mildew. The AVERAGE person cleans these bathrooms once a year

PS: I thought these were cheap shit (Like 5.0This) but after installing them for the last few months, it's the only thing I would put in my house if I built or bought one Like one customer said....take your time like you were installing it in your Mother's house

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Very nice, I may be able to get you some action up here.

red
    95 Z28

And to Reef...a great tile job looks....well great BUT grout/tile for the AVERAGE household are hard to maintain and make look good. These walls are anti-microbial and the caulk is too so you can forget about mold or mildew. The AVERAGE person cleans these bathrooms once a year
    One bathroom in my place still has the original tile in it from ~30 years ago. Gets used 2-3 times per day, every day. I clean it every two weeks, and it's still holding up just fine. Tile is bulletproof with even semi-normal maintenance.

PS: I thought these were cheap shit (Like 5.0This) but after installing them for the last few months, it's the only thing I would put in my house if I built or bought one Like one customer said....take your time like you were installing it in your Mother's house
    I'm sure it's a fine quality product that does last a long time. I never said it was cheap shit in and of itself. It does however look like cheap low-rent shit. It's like the laminate flooring of bathrooms. Sure it works great, is durable, and will last a long time, but you see it and go I'd rather have tile that looks a million times classier, and the only drawback is I have to take some effort to keep it clean. Besides, it's disgusting when people let their bathrooms go uncleaned anyway.

And congrats on taking the plunge on your own business. Owning your own small business is a tough way to make a living, and sooo many people fail at doing it, especially given the current economy. And good job taking the money you were going to spend on your car and putting it into something smart instead. But we've all been there and spent money on cars, only to know it's getting pissed away with no chance of a return anyway
    Last edited by 5.0THIS; 11-11-2012 at 11:51 PM.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

What have you invested in so far, tools, work rig, insurance?

Have you recieved your plumbers card? Certified?

Are you up on your state and local building codes?

Have to warranty your work as well.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

^^ just name a few..

Since you mentioned an employee, are they insured through you?

May want to look into getting bonded.
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-12-2012 at 01:58 AM.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Once a year? That is scary right there.

I'm pretty sure I'll never have one installed in either of my bathrooms. They have no character or style to speak of. Very plain Jane. Just not for me. That is just my opinion though. There is obviously a market out there for them and I do hope you make a go of it

Good luck with the new business. For advice... Don't ever have a partner. Don't take extra money out of the business (especially when you're just starting out building the business) because it will come a time when you need it. Employees can be a real pain in the ass. It's going to take a lot of hard work and time. The compnay isn't going to build itself overnight.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Smittro: I bought some tools, dealer license, business kit with samples and flyers and other odds and ends. Getting my LLC too. My employee is a Journeymen Plumber in WI but you don't need to be a plumber to do these in WI. Getting insurance for myself in case of damage to cover my ass.

Reef: These bathrooms only need a cleaning once a year belief it or not. We did some Warranty work on one and hadn't been cleaned in months and looked like the day we installed it.

5.0This: Wasn't saying you meant these were cheap shit but they are nothing like the wraps at Menards/Home Depot, ETC..

Hot Black: For every job you get me, I'm offering $250 for a finders fee at the end of completetion. Check out my FB page.

NHRA: Thanks for the advice

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Good luck, Gangster. Like others have mentioned, starting up your own business will be a ton of work. A lot of people fail at doing it. Even those who are intelligent and smart business people. I think if you have a true love for doing this though, you need to pursue it and see where it takes you. If nothing else, it will be a great learning experience for you and just maybe it will even bring you some positive revenue on a continued basis.

Insurance is a good idea. I'd also try to get all used tools as well if you can. In the event it doesn't work out and you need to get rid of everything, you won't take a loss on them like you would selling new tools. Not sure what all is needed, but just an idea if there is any big ticket items.

Lastly, make the business a LLC. You'll be happy come tax time.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Smittro: I bought some tools, dealer license, business kit with samples and flyers and other odds and ends. Getting my LLC too. My employee is a Journeymen Plumber in WI but you don't need to be a plumber to do these in WI. Getting insurance for myself in case of damage to cover my ass.

Reef: These bathrooms only need a cleaning once a year belief it or not. We did some Warranty work on one and hadn't been cleaned in months and looked like the day we installed it.

5.0This: Wasn't saying you meant these were cheap shit but they are nothing like the wraps at Menards/Home Depot, ETC..

Hot Black: For every job you get me, I'm offering $250 for a finders fee at the end of completetion. Check out my FB page.

NHRA: Thanks for the advice
    Right on bro! Some counties here do others don't. Good luck!!

After you get off the ground and really rolling, you'll look back and ask yourself why you ever worked for someone else.
    Self employment is the only way to make money.. I've been self employed for a little over a decade now.
    Downsized last year, baught some ground here and there a while back and got me a gas well a couple of years ago.
    This year the gas Co returned and sunk 2 more wells on my ground for a total of 3, so I'm pulling royalties from all 3 now.
    Meeting next week with an oil Co. that wants to sink an oil well on the property also.
    If everything goes well with the EPA and the oil company my ground will soon be working for me even more.
    So much so that I will be "retiring" at 39.XD
    Never thought in a million years I would ever have been able to make a good living just sitting on my ass..
    But seriously,, it all came from sticking to my goals, taking a chance or two, a lot of emotional support from my wife, staying commited, and busting some ass.

Again, Congrats and Good Luck Bro!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Good luck, Gangster. Like others have mentioned, starting up your own business will be a ton of work. A lot of people fail at doing it. Even those who are intelligent and smart business people. I think if you have a true love for doing this though, you need to pursue it and see where it takes you. If nothing else, it will be a great learning experience for you and just maybe it will even bring you some positive revenue on a continued basis.

Insurance is a good idea. I'd also try to get all used tools as well if you can. In the event it doesn't work out and you need to get rid of everything, you won't take a loss on them like you would selling new tools. Not sure what all is needed, but just an idea if there is any big ticket items.

Lastly, make the business a LLC. You'll be happy come tax time.
    Black besides what Jon said, you need to get a Federal business tax ID and get smart on income tax laws for both Federal and State,County too if applicable. As an employer you are responsible to deduct and pay these. Some one mention health insurance and bonded too, these vary from state to state.

Call and talk with BBB, they offer advice and info on all of this stuff.

Taken the plunge in this economy, you're either brave or.......

One more thing - I would be more careful announcing you're intentions, your current employer might not like you starting a rival company while you're under his employment.

Good Luck, I really hope you succeed.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Yeah, until you get your CSI types in there with all their cool lights, chemicals and swabs

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Yeah, until you get your CSI types in there with all their cool lights, chemicals and swabs

Well Ladies and Gentlemen.......talked with someone today and went over my sales skills with them (I have no sales skills...yet ) and pretty sure I got another job I'll know Thursday when they call me back after going over all the options I can provide to them. They seemed to love the material and the ease of cleaning/durability of the product. So I have my fingers crossed because all I need is these two jobs and invest some of the money back into the company/advertise and I'm set for bills. Any job after that is pretty much pure profit from then on out. I have NO overhead because I ask half up front and half upon completion which the half up front covers ALL supplies. I may have a winner here

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I say go with the ease of cleaning/durability sales pitch. Leave out the no need for cleaning for a year crap. This is my advice to you

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I say go with the ease of cleaning/durability sales pitch. Leave out the no need for cleaning for a year crap. This is my advice to you
    I understand what you mean with this but these bathrooms were designed around the "baby boomers" which make up 30% of the American population (Give or take) and are/or retiring soon If I can keep people in their house longer and out of a retirement home then I'm happy.....only thing guaranteed in life is death and taxes I def like the advise Reef 2 jobs is a far cry from "makin it" and I thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for all the good advice on starting my own business...it won't be easy and I don't expect it to be I believe in what I sell so that gives me a "leg up" as you would say and as long as the customer is happy....then I'm happy. I don't want my name in the mud and I have pride in my work which is more then I can say for some (Around WI) Worst case....I fail but I fail knowing I gave my all....best case is I make it and well...the rest is history

PS: I've received good advice (Some I know and some I didn't think of ) Keep it coming

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information