Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The One

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

The One

Finally did it..joined the cell phone crowd. Bought an HTC One m8. First cell phone or smartphone ever,can't believe it took me so long. Go ahead and laugh at me if you want but now I have something cool.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

And I thought I was late to the game...

Congrats!

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Congrats. What took you so long lol?
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

red
    95 Z28

Oh my god!!!! Now the gub'mint can track your every move and monitor your every word

98 Formula
    06 duramax

wow.......even homeless people have cell phones

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Oh my god!!!! Now the gub'mint can track your every move and monitor your every word

It's true!

Would the interwebz lie??????
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

blue
    1999 TransAm

...why would we "laugh" at you?? if anything, kudos for holding out as long as you did... IMO, these "devices" have become nothing short of pop-culture rot gut in your pocket, ...and the deplorable behaviors of folks who seemingly let these things run their lives...

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Finally did it..joined the cell phone crowd. Bought an HTC One m8. First cell phone or smartphone ever,can't believe it took me so long. Go ahead and laugh at me if you want but now I have something cool.
    Now all you have to do is figure out how to use it to it's full potential

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

I am sure you will want to throw it out the window in a month.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I was waiting for the technology to mature lol. I always told everyone I was saving $1000 per year. Now the gubmint tracks me in multiple ways! I'm learning the full potential of this smartphone.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I was waiting for the technology to mature lol. I always told everyone I was saving $1000 per year. Now the gubmint tracks me in multiple ways! I'm learning the full potential of this smartphone.
    my brother was like you.....he held out as long as possible on getting one. More out of principle than anything else. He used to be proud of the fact he was one of the last people left that didn't get connected at the hip to a phone. He got one a year or two back and soon after told me it was the best thing he'd done in a long time. They're a pretty useful tool once you figure out what they're capable of. I'm not sure how we took trips before having a phone.....they just come in so handy. Directions, calling places on the road, finding fuel, getting reviews, ect ect. We use the shit out of them on vacation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

red
    95 Z28

I'm learning the full potential of this smartphone.

So you've learned how to turn it on?

Baby steps...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

As 0rion stated, they are nice for travel. We leave the Garmin at home most times and just use my phone to navigate, find places to eat, gas stops, area attractions, etc.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    my brother was like you.....he held out as long as possible on getting one. More out of principle than anything else. He used to be proud of the fact he was one of the last people left that didn't get connected at the hip to a phone. He got one a year or two back and soon after told me it was the best thing he'd done in a long time. They're a pretty useful tool once you figure out what they're capable of. I'm not sure how we took trips before having a phone.....they just come in so handy. Directions, calling places on the road, finding fuel, getting reviews, ect ect. We use the shit out of them on vacation.
    Not sure if I'll leave the Garmin behind just yet. I was kinda holding our on principle as well, but over the last year or so I've noticed how people use them, and how handy they are. I've also felt stupid a few times for not having even a basic phone.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    So you've learned how to turn it on?

Baby steps...

And more! I have a crapload of music on it already. I'd say I'm taking leaps on this thing. The gub-mint is proud lol!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I see you got the newer HTC One phone. My daughters "One" was very limited with 32GB memory. No microSD cards could be added if you wanted more.

I've always like HTC products. I have Samsung S4 and damn that thing is a power house.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post

What's funny is map reading is becoming a lost art. I was teaching my kids a few yrs ago on how to read a map book and be able to follow along on a trip instead of using the phone nav or gps system. I got the "why do we need to know this" which was replied with "What happens when you have no phone, it's dead, it's broke, or you have no signal and you are in the middle of nowhere? How will you get home/to your destination?"

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Not sure if I'll leave the Garmin behind just yet. I was kinda holding our on principle as well, but over the last year or so I've noticed how people use them, and how handy they are. I've also felt stupid a few times for not having even a basic phone.

And more! I have a crapload of music on it already. I'd say I'm taking leaps on this thing. The gub-mint is proud lol!
    you'll find out that there's very little your garmin can do that your phone can't. I use an app called trucker path that maps out all the truck stops so I know where to get diesel at. You can also search places to eat ect ect. You can also just search stuff in the map on the phone by name or service. Pretty handy shit when you're traveling or in a city you're unfamiliar with.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    What's funny is map reading is becoming a lost art. I was teaching my kids a few yrs ago on how to read a map book and be able to follow along on a trip instead of using the phone nav or gps system. I got the "why do we need to know this" which was replied with "What happens when you have no phone, it's dead, it's broke, or you have no signal and you are in the middle of nowhere? How will you get home/to your destination?"
    maps are extremely limited when it comes to function compared to a phone or gps. I get your point and basic map reading is a necessity but maps are on the way out. My brothers dodge has a bad ass gps built into it. That thing is nice. No phone needed and IIRC it's also voice command.....I know the rest of his stereo is.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Problem with all this tech is that 1 EMP can ruin your whole day...

Don't get me wrong as I use it too, but map reading (especially a contour map) can be an invaluable tool.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Problem with all this tech is that 1 EMP can ruin your whole day...

Don't get me wrong as I use it too, but map reading (especially a contour map) can be an invaluable tool.
    << trying to not sound like a tin foil hat wearer...

But it's not just emp's, solar flares effect the gps satellites and now you have to worry about malware infecting your phone/gps devices. Anything that has software access to internet can be effected by some pimple face douche bag thinking it's cool to spoof the accuracy of the gps. Not to mention civilian gps can get spoof at the click of a command.

Also have you looked at some of the cell phone map coverages? Unless you are along major hwy's or populated cities chances of your cell reception go down dramatically.
    All cell phones triangulate off of cell towers to get their location. They do not communicate with gps satellites. Now gps devices like Garmin & Tomtom do.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

one thing I like about real maps is the ability to unfold it and see the whole area.

.another thing I really like about my m8 is the great sound quality with the earbuds. I keep looking for the subwoofer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information