Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Resident Mississippian BdAsBrd01's Avatar

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Ole Miss Band no longer allowed to play Dixie

Today the chancellor decided that the Ole Miss Band is no longer allowed to play "Dixie" at football games or any other sporting event. The most recent version of Dixie also included the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" but that wasn't PC enough. Chancellor Daniel Jones, who just recently acquired the job has decided to continue the previous administration's destruction of the history, culture, and spirit of the University of Mississippi.
    His reason is that he does not want anyone to chant "The South Will Rise Again" because it isn't politically correct. He has totally ignored the fact that the reason students started chanting that in 2003, after the playing of "Dixie" is a direct response to his predecessor getting rid of Coloniel Reb. Coloniel Reb was disposed of during the summer, when no one would be around to oppose it.
    Apparently the current administration is hell bent on making Ole Miss just another gray college that has no history with the students bound and gagged so that they aren't allowed to show their support for the history and traditions of many generations.
    As a grad student I am sickened by this development and I hope that the band just won't show up for any games for the rest of the season as protest, maybe the private donations of the alumni could finally come to a dead stop after this.
    I ask you this, will it ever stop? When will it be enough? Maybe they could dig up the dead student Confederate Soldiers (University Greys) that are buried on the campus grounds because what they died for is too offensive for the current administration to allow them to rest in peace. They already stopped allowing the Daughters of the Confederacy from having a yearly service there in their houour. Let's just dig the poor bastards up and throw their bones in a ditch because apparently they didn't fight for the PC side!
    Rant over, I need to go puke now
    Last edited by BdAsBrd01; 11-10-2009 at 08:57 PM.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Man that's really weird because just the other day the chancellor decided that the Ole Miss Band is no longer allowed to play "Dixie" at football games or any other sporting event. The most recent version of Dixie also included the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" but that wasn't PC enough. Chancellor Daniel Jones, who just recently acquired the job has decided to continue the previous administration's destruction of the history, culture, and spirit of the University of Mississippi. His reason is that he does not want anyone to chant "The South Will Rise Again" because it isn't politically correct. He has totally ignored the fact that the reason students started chanting that in 2003, after the playing of "Dixie" is a direct response to his predecessor getting rid of Coloniel Reb. Coloniel Reb was disposed of during the summer, when no one would be around to oppose it. Apparently the current administration is hell bent on making Ole Miss just another gray college that has no history with the students bound and gagged so that they aren't allowed to show their support for the history and traditions of many generations. As a grad student I am sickened by this development and I hope that the band just won't show up for any games for the rest of the season as protest, maybe the private donations of the alumni could finally come to a dead stop after this. I ask you this, will it ever stop? When will it be enough? Maybe they could dig up the dead student Confederate Soldiers (Confederate Grays) that are buried on the campus grounds because what they died for is too offensive for the current administration to allow them to rest in peace. They already stopped allowing the Daughters of the Confederacy from having a yearly service there in their houour. Let's just dig the poor bastards up and throw their bones in a ditch because apparently they didn't fight for the PC side!

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Man that's really weird because just the other day the chancellor decided that the Ole Miss Band is no longer allowed to play "Dixie" at football games or any other sporting event. The most recent version of Dixie also included the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" but that wasn't PC enough. Chancellor Daniel Jones, who just recently acquired the job has decided to continue the previous administration's destruction of the history, culture, and spirit of the University of Mississippi. His reason is that he does not want anyone to chant "The South Will Rise Again" because it isn't politically correct. He has totally ignored the fact that the reason students started chanting that in 2003, after the playing of "Dixie" is a direct response to his predecessor getting rid of Coloniel Reb. Coloniel Reb was disposed of during the summer, when no one would be around to oppose it. Apparently the current administration is hell bent on making Ole Miss just another gray college that has no history with the students bound and gagged so that they aren't allowed to show their support for the history and traditions of many generations. As a grad student I am sickened by this development and I hope that the band just won't show up for any games for the rest of the season as protest, maybe the private donations of the alumni could finally come to a dead stop after this. I ask you this, will it ever stop? When will it be enough? Maybe they could dig up the dead student Confederate Soldiers (Confederate Grays) that are buried on the campus grounds because what they died for is too offensive for the current administration to allow them to rest in peace. They already stopped allowing the Daughters of the Confederacy from having a yearly service there in their houour. Let's just dig the poor bastards up and throw their bones in a ditch because apparently they didn't fight for the PC side!

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Wait wut

Black
    2002 Z28 B4C

Iroc ur a loser....

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

shit like this happens all the time..this isn't new ...CMU the college i go to...has changed their mascott several times because the chippewas were upset that the mascott had war feather and ..it happens all the time.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

My HS used to be the Mohicans. Now, due to PC, they're called the Panthers.

After almost 90 years of being called the Mohicans, the Panthers just doesn't seem right.

white
    1997 dodge dakota

its all obamas fault

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

The south will rise again!

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JHayesLS1 View Post
    Only if people get off of their asses and finally stand up for something.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    My HS used to be the Mohicans. Now, due to PC, they're called the Panthers.

After almost 90 years of being called the Mohicans, the Panthers just doesn't seem right.
    It's pathetic that people will roll over without a fight, change history or a school's mascot. Forget the fact that 10,000 want it to stay the same and 20 want it changed. Fucked up math if you ask me. If it were an election, there'd be no doubt about it staying.

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

That's what happens when people are so concerned with offending someone with a single word or an action. If you have a problem with a certain place, pack your shit and get the fuck out. I remember one day I went to school with a Rebel Flag hat on and some "kid" wearing a Malcom X shirt told the teacher, I got sent to the office and made to not wear it again. The very next day I wore a shirt with a Rebel Flag on the front with the words "You wear your X, and I'll wear mine" on it. I got suspended for 3 days, dad went to the school, handed them the business card of the family lawyer (uncle) and I was back in school the next day. Fucking people think you MUST act a certain way or discontinue something cause it "offends" them for things that happened long before they were a twinge in there dads nutsack. Fuck em and feed em fish heads!!

/end rant

Impounded

Silver
    2008 MKIV Beast GXP GT

The only way the south will rise again is if it's annexed by Mexico... thats's the only way it would be spared from that 55 gallon drum of american whoop ass.

Impounded

Silver
    2008 MKIV Beast GXP GT

Quote Originally Posted by Mike97dakota View Post
    its all Bush's fault
    I totally agree

Posted from my Blackberry on the Sprint Now Network.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

If the south rose again it would be a different story. This time around we have guns and money.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

If the south rose again it would be a different story. This time around we have guns and money.
    Guns, yes
    money... not so much

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Guns, yes
    money... not so much
    How ya figure? Wallstreet is in the shitter and we control energy.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    How ya figure? Wallstreet is in the shitter and we control energy.
    You make a point
    the way i see it we have "more money" but not lots of it

Impounded
    gmcheviac

But incase arguement with other people rise over my comment, I in no way believe that there will be a split in the country. The government would slaughter citizens long before giving us up, despite anything the constitution says about overthrowing a tyrannical govt. etc. I'm more of a Texas split guy anyway, it's the place I care about and a more feasible idea than splitting off the whole south, though neither will happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information