Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

old timer gun enthusiasts come in

im wondering if ammo does go bad,i recently inherited a lot of guns and ammo

some of the bullets i know are at least 30 years old and some of it could be as old as ww2

some people say its no problem but i just wanted a few more opinions on shooting ammo that is that old

most of it was stored in dry boxes for most of its life ,what do you think?

shoot or no shoot

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

As long as it's been stored properly there should be no problem with it.

I found a LIVE .50 caliber round in the surf years ago. It was encrusted & the neck was pitted.
    I tried to wiggle the bullet & cracked the neck & the bullet came free.
    Poured the powder out in a pile & lit it.....burned no problem.
    Powder was black & looked like tiny pieces of spaghetti about 1/16 long.

blue
    83 mustang 347

shoot! as long as the powder has stayed dry you're good

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

As long as it is not corroded nor rusted your good to go. Back in the day most ammo had corrosive primers....they corroded ....

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

yeah most of it looks like new,and some of it has some black kinda tarnish but i more than likely wont shoot anything that is tarnished anyway

i figured as long as it looks good it would probably be okay, i guess time will tell

just to make some of you guys jealous i now have an UZI,SKS,and a TOMMY GUN to add to my list of assault type weapons along with a whole lot of other cool stuff, i was given over 20 guns in all to add to the almost 20 i own already

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Post pics of these guns..

nbm
    00 SS

Hell yeah, going to need some pics!!

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

It will probally shoot fine. The worst that could happen is it would go boom.

I would not fire it though. If it is that old I would keep it like a collectors item, especially if its from ww2. If you inherited it, dont shoot it, keep it for sentimental sake. Just my opinion.

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

Quote Originally Posted by preston1980 View Post
    It will probally shoot fine. The worst that could happen is it would go boom.

I would not fire it though. If it is that old I would keep it like a collectors item, especially if its from ww2. If you inherited it, dont shoot it, keep it for sentimental sake. Just my opinion.

i dont really think i should not use the ammo if it is good ,the guy this belonged to would have wanted it used trust me,i actually went through it last night and am getting rid of a bunch of it that i dont think is safe to shoot,there was probably at least 300 rounds of all different calibers just loose in the bottom of some dry boxes so i went through it and put it in its appropiate box and started a trash box for the bad stuff

i also ordered me some reloading dies for the .264 win. mag. that i have so i can do some good loads,ought to be a pretty decent long range gun there
    and thought about ordering for the .351 win. self loading rifle but ill have to wait and start piecing that stuff together for now pretty rare and expensive stuff for that gun
    i will get some pics later today hopefully

heres a question for you guys can anyone confirm whether or not you can use wildcat 22 in a regular .22 long rifle
    Last edited by dpinson; 08-17-2009 at 05:22 AM.

blue
    83 mustang 347

Quote Originally Posted by dpinson View Post
    heres a question for you guys can anyone confirm whether or not you can use wildcat 22 in a regular .22 long rifle

this stuff? yeah it's 22lr ammo

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

Quote Originally Posted by ztrouble View Post
    this stuff? yeah it's 22lr ammo

Click for full size
    thats it ,are you sure i dont want to f-up any guns

but they do look identical

blue
    83 mustang 347

thats it ,are you sure i dont want to f-up any guns

but they do look identical
    yep shot many a thousand rounds and I'm not aware of them making wildcat in 22 short

the box should say 22 long rifle high velocity on one end. If you are still unsure about it, compare size with another brand of .22 LR you have... you can tell teh difference in shorts, long, and LR

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

Quote Originally Posted by ztrouble View Post
    yep shot many a thousand rounds and I'm not aware of them making wildcat in 22 short

the box should say 22 long rifle high velocity on one end. If you are still unsure about it, compare size with another brand of .22 LR you have... you can tell teh difference in shorts, long, and LR
    yeah i did and they look identical in size and everything so i did a little reading and people were talking about making them by pulling apart a regular long rifle so i was unsure but i figured they were the same

yeah i have found alot of different 22 rounds over the years and i now own some i havent ever heard of like a .22 cb cap ,looks like a short to me but i dont have any shorts to compare with ,thanx ill shoot them and im sure you are correct i was just worried they might be some improved version like the ackley setups

blue
    83 mustang 347

yeah i did and they look identical in size and everything so i did a little reading and people were talking about making them by pulling apart a regular long rifle so i was unsure but i figured they were the same

yeah i have found alot of different 22 rounds over the years and i now own some i havent ever heard of like a .22 cb cap ,looks like a short to me but i dont have any shorts to compare with ,thanx ill shoot them and im sure you are correct i was just worried they might be some improved version like the ackley setups
    nah. I don't know why winchester called them wildcats when off the wall cartridges like 22-250 are referred to as wildcat calibers....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_CB

Silver
    2005 Toyota Corolla (DD)

yeah most of it looks like new,and some of it has some black kinda tarnish but i more than likely wont shoot anything that is tarnished anyway

i figured as long as it looks good it would probably be okay, i guess time will tell

just to make some of you guys jealous i now have an UZI,SKS,and a TOMMY GUN to add to my list of assault type weapons along with a whole lot of other cool stuff, i was given over 20 guns in all to add to the almost 20 i own already
    Automatic? Were they transferred to you through a trust?

Or did you get the "civillian," semi-automatic versions?

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Power View Post
    Automatic? Were they transferred to you through a trust?

Or did you get the "civillian," semi-automatic versions?
    yes they are the semi auto,as much as i would like to have a full auto the hassle and bullshit you are put through with a class 3 firearms liscense isnt worth it
    not to mention that full auto is just about useless for anything other than making people take cover on a battlefield

Silver
    2005 Toyota Corolla (DD)

yes they are the semi auto,as much as i would like to have a full auto the hassle and bullshit you are put through with a class 3 firearms liscense isnt worth it
    It really isn't that difficult. A couple of forms, picture, fingerprint, Money order for $200.....then a few month wait.

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

yeah but i dont like the idea of them being able to come and search my house whenever theyd like and take count of all my guns and then what if you tried to move out of state i know that can be a bitch when moving a full auto

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

well sorry guys i cant get my pictures on here,i dont have a photobucket account and i usually just put them on my computer and then onto any websites i post on but it no worky on here i guess i need photobucket
    Last edited by dpinson; 08-17-2009 at 02:55 PM.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

photobucket is free. Just make an account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information