Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Question The old mopar 340 is the best small block v8 ever!!!!

Thats what an old mopar guy told me today. Here's what he said:

in HS my friend larry had a 70 340 6 pack challenger, I rejetted the carbs and tweaked the curve on the dist, stock he ram mid 13s with a 3.91 screw, we did the above only broke into the 12. 80 range all day long, then he put in a purple gring cam which was a popular hemi spec lift duration, and a set of hooker headers, I retuned the cars again and and the rest was bone stock. Car was in the mid 11s.

i was like what lol, is this true? possible?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Murder after Midnight View Post

in HS my friend larry had a 70 340 6 pack challenger, I rejetted the carbs and tweaked the curve on the dist, stock he ram mid 13s with a 3.91 screw, we did the above only broke into the 12. 80 range all day long, then he put in a purple gring cam which was a popular hemi spec lift duration, and a set of hooker headers, I retuned the cars again and and the rest was bone stock. Car was in the mid 11s.

Cars or car? Did he say it did or did you witness the event? Headers? Tires? 4speed, stalled?
    With a stall and some tires it's believable. I saw a slant 6 this past week go nearly that fast.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

cam and headers thats kind of hard to believe that it would shave over a sec off the time.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Cars or car? Did he say it did or did you witness the event? Headers? Tires? 4speed, stalled?
    With a stall and some tires it's believable. I saw a slant 6 this past week go nearly that fast.
    I'm guessing he meant to say 'carbs'.

White
    '10 ZR1

Who knows I had 'an old guy' tell me once that Yenko Camaros ran 9's right off the showroom floor. I let him believe it.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

lulz.....everyone knows that the chevy smallblock is the best one ever...geez...fuckin mopar?

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    Who knows I had 'an old guy' tell me once that Yenko Camaros ran 9's right off the showroom floor. I let him believe it.
    And they ran those times on bias ply PolyGlas GT tires, right off the showroom floor.

Cars in memory always seem faster than cars in reality.

Kinda like ex-GFs. The memory is much better than the reality was.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Anyone familiar with the valve train geometry on the 340's? The push rods come off the lifters at a substantial angle -- looks like it should bend every one of them when you roll the motor over. My friend had one in his '70 Dart that ran low 14's with a 727 and 3.23's. Really needed gears though on account of his rear tire size:

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

maybe if it was in a stripped down demon/duster, doing this in a big 70 is harder to believe

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

His statement is silly as he is comparing a certain car with a certain engine not just an engine. I can put a ls1 in a 240sx stripped and run 11s with the stock ls1 and sticky tires. But that doesnt tell you how good the engine is just what it can do in a certain car. If you wanna make a statement like a 340mopar small block is the best ever then you need to compare engine vs engine not car vs car.

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    His statement is silly as he is comparing a certain car with a certain engine not just an engine. I can put a ls1 in a 240sx stripped and run 11s with the stock ls1 and sticky tires. But that doesnt tell you how good the engine is just what it can do in a certain car. If you wanna make a statement like a 340mopar small block is the best ever then you need to compare engine vs engine not car vs car.
    This

White
    '10 ZR1

I say the 350 Chevrolet engine is the best engine ever IMHO.

Maybe I'm biased - but is there a better one that has stood the test of time as long as the ol' iron horse 350?

Plus I hear a whole lot of shit from old guys about how they saw this car do this time right after their buddy bought it brand new and bone stock. A guy I used to work with told me that he personally watched an untouched 1969 Z28 do 10s. Considering that virtually all cars from the 60s were significantly slower than new cars are today, I am convinced that all these guys with their stories are either liars, idiots, mistaken, or senile. Either they didn't know the cars had X mods, or they didn't know they were at an 1/8th-mile strip instead of a 1/4, they forgot the times, or are full of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    I say the 350 Chevrolet engine is the best engine ever IMHO.

Maybe I'm biased - but is there a better one that has stood the test of time as long as the ol' iron horse 350?
    So you think an a 350 Vortec or L98 are better than your LS-7? Longest sales period doesn't necessarily mean best. Gen IV>Gen I, for sure. And there are arguably better engines than a Chevy Gen IV smallblock. None that I would rather have than an LS-7, but one could make the argument.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by RJWZ28 View Post
    So you think an a 350 Vortec or L98 are better than your LS-7? Longest sales period doesn't necessarily mean best. Gen IV>Gen I, for sure. And there are arguably better engines than a Chevy Gen IV smallblock. None that I would rather have than an LS-7, but one could make the argument.
    id say that the small block chevy in general is the longest lasting, most potentially efficient american engine ever.....they are easy to work on, cheaper to fix, and easier to get power out of...and you can damn near bolt one up into anything....hell, they put em on motorcycles!

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

best engine arguments are like hottest chick arguments,everybody has their own opinion,they have been many engines that excel at different things,but there is not 1 engine that is the "best".

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    best engine arguments are like hottest chick arguments,everybody has their own opinion,they have been many engines that excel at different things,but there is not 1 engine that is the "best".
    True, But even my import friends agree the ls1 is one bad mother fu%$er

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by RJWZ28 View Post
    I am convinced that all these guys with their stories are either liars, idiots, mistaken, or senile. Either they didn't know the cars had X mods, or they didn't know they were at an 1/8th-mile strip instead of a 1/4, they forgot the times, or are full of shit.

You're just talkin to old-school ricers.

302dz and the boss302 are the greatest!!!

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Cobra jet 429 > boss 302

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information