Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro SS

OK, looking for a diesel truck

Everyone, I am looking to buy a diesel truck in the next couple of months and am looking for some advice from everyone here.

I instantly look to a Chevy with the Duramax and Allison tranny, but anyone have feedback on the Chevy, Dodge or Ford??? Used or new?

Thanks, Rick

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I personaly like the Dodge Trucks.
    How much are you looking to spend? What are you planning on doing with the truck? Towing?
    I refuse to buy a new vehicle just because of the new vehicle price, you can pick up a used one with a couple of grand knocked off with only a few miles.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Cummins.

Purely because of the name.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Cummins.

Purely because of the name.
    As if 325hp & 600 lbs-ft of torque isn't enough?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

If ya want quiet, get a DuraMax. If I owned one, first mod would be exhaust. Seats are soft as well. For a diesel, IMO, the DuraMax is a rolling La-Z-Boy.

silver
    2002 ws6

the d-max\allison is a nice combo--- not the best for pulling but good all around. 04\05 are probably the best. the newer ones are harder on fuel due to emissions

cummins is a great engine--- but it's mated to a dodge tranny which isn't so hot.

any ford post 7.3L you should avoid-- some people have had good luck with them but i've seen and heard many bad things. nice truck, but a ticking time bomb. 7.3 was a good engine though.

green
    98 formula

I had an 05 dodge cummins/6-speed it was a stump puller. My new truck is an 08 chevy duramax/allison it pulls just as well but the power is way smoother. I did like the style of my dodge but the quality wasn't up to par in my opinion. The chevy is more comfortable and gets a little better mileage. I have heard bad things about all of them. If you must have automatic go duramax/allison, or if you need to shift yourself I would say cummins. The only person I know with a ford is an 03 7.3/auto and he has had the trans rebuilt, and a few other things replaced. Oh yeah I almost forgot my dodge had 325hp/610tq, and the chevy is 360hp/650tq (factory ratings). These truck REALLY respond to tuning.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

I work at Freightliner in Knoxville and I can say that the Cummins 5.9 is probably one of the best engines u can get. The Duramax is also strong but I am a little disappointed with both of the transmission opitions u have!

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

dodge cummins, motor is bullet proof

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Caterpillar diesel swap in whatever you get. lol

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    any ford post 7.3L you should avoid-- some people have had good luck with them but i've seen and heard many bad things. nice truck, but a ticking time bomb.
    By 06 the 6.0L had been fixed with a head/EGR redesign. But the 03-05s have had some serious issues with lifting the heads.

I have an 07 PSD and love it. I think the D-Max is a little better on fuel and runs quieter. At 70mph, I get ~20 empty on the hiway and ~12 pulling my 10K lb. enclosed trailer.

When I was shopping in late 06, I looked at both the Dodge and Ford. I liked the Dodge motor and styling, but the Laramie sounded like a tin can and just felt cheap inside when compared to the leather equipped XLT Ford.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

'06 Dodge Mega Cab Diesel here absolutely love it. So much more room than my Dads GMC crew cab. 6 cyl Cummings has the most hp and torque than the other 2. Add a diablo predator and watch out, its a whole lot of fun. Can't beat the dodge styling I absolutely love the exterior. Bright red for me.

Only downside to the Dodge IMO is the Interiors. Little bland compared to the other 2, however the new model next year will remedy that.

If you do get one, Get a pre 07 5.9 liter. The new 6.7 has a bunch of issues with all the emissions crap the government made them install. Lots of turbo issues. A lot of bad reviews in all the dodge cummings forums on the new 6.7. My 5.9 has all the power with none of the emissions crap. Only good thing about the brand new models is they come with a factory Jake Brake.
    Last edited by Jays00ss; 03-25-2009 at 06:13 PM.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

With the current new-trucks, i'd avoid them like AIDS. Knock on wood ,weve not had any issues in the last 2 months or so with our truck (2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Cummins/auto). The emissions is killing them somethin' fierce. 14-15 trips to the dealership for CEL's, always related to soot and issues caused by the soot. Simply put, the emissions part SUCKS especially if you life in an emissions area and have to keep it. We have 40k miles on the truck now, and since the last computer re-map, we've not been having any lights or issues. As far as the tranny goes, it holds up fine, much better than the stick in our friends 2007.5 6.7. He went through H&S and got the DPF delete kit along with the foolers and EGR delete, as well as an Edge tuner. Just the edge is enough to put the stock clutch over the top, it slips with that little bit of juice. Just an FYI.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

also, Like said above buy used. I bought my truck 1 year ago (april '08). It is a '06 (bought orginally in Dec 06) and only had 13,000 miles. I paid $29,000 for it. He still had the window sticker for it and the sticker price was $50,450.

My payment is $50 more a month than my '04 F-150 fx-4 (I bought new in '04) and I got twice the truck.

I bought it right in the middle of the High gas prices last year. I think I got a killer deal on a garaged truck that looked brand new with brand new BFG all terains just installed.
    Last edited by Jays00ss; 03-25-2009 at 06:37 PM.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

I agree with the buy-used statement. Just be smart about what you are looking at. If the truck has a hitch, or worse yet, a 5th-wheel hitch (or the remnants of one mounted in the bed), be wary and shop smart. Most people (i say most, not all), most people buy a diesel truck to haul shit or for longevity, not just drive around and 'sound cool', so don't be surprised if the truck was used for its intended purpose, to work.

The Herpes of LS1.com Modulistic's Avatar

gray
    07 duramax

They are all decent motors, the ford may be slightly more problematic than the rest. Dodges have front end and steering problems and in general are a poorly built chrysler product. Sorry dodge owners, but its true. The cummins brand is unimpeachable, however. Transmissions are what make the engine shine and the Allison simply cant be beat. If you intend to put a tuner on the truck to make more power, the transmission will be your first area of trouble, and the Allison will take more abuse than the other transmissions with the exception of a standard. In my opinion, the early 2007 trucks like mine are superior, because they have the higher horsepower LBZ duramax engine, six speed allison transmission, DONT have the particulate filter or catalytic convertor, so you can run them on high sulfur diesel with no problems. the early 07s still have the older body style. you could go to mexico where they still run the high sulfur diesel and not have a prob with an LBZ. The newer trucks will plug up and die. the fuel filter is easy to change on a duramax, I dont know about the other trucks. the allison transmission has a spin on transmission filter (just like an oil filter) that takes literally 2 minutes to change.

I drive a Ford f-450 bucket truck at work and it makes a lot of noise but doesnt really move. it feels slow as balls. it sounds excellent though. my duramax sounds pretty weak by comparison, but is stock. I dont know about the other trucks, but the duramax has no probs starting, i havent had to plug it in yet.

heres a zipped spreadsheet of all the diesel I ran through my truck from early 07 when I bought it new, to late 08 when I stopped updating the spreadsheet. I have a high mpg of 20mpg while towing a trailer through the desert, to a low of 8mpg when I was idling around warming the truck up in the sub zero ass weather. Attachment 18332

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Thanks for all the input!! There is some great information here and I think my next step is to drive each one of these trucks.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Diesels are awesome...too bad the emissions cause cancer

Black
    F250

Are you looking for a 4x4 or 2wd? On 4x4's Cummins and Powerstroke have the straight axle (which i like) and chevy has the IFS, better ride but wouldnt plan on lifting it if your actually going to use the 4x4. Cummins motors are awsome, but that heap of shit dodge transmision behind will go if you start putting power to it, or possibly even with out the added power. Not to mention, no offense to dodge truck owner but i dont like the dodge trucks (body and interior) as much as the ford or chevy. Duramax motors are good, alison trans is usually good if you dont run to much power. As for the fords, the 7.3 motors are awsome, their trans is probably about the equivalent to the alison. The newest 6.4 motors on the 08 and 09's are insane! If you get an 08^ ford powerstroke you can do intake, exhaust (w/ DPF delete) and a tuner and be putting out over 500 rwhp to the ground. Theres guys that are dailiy driving with over 500hp for over 30,000 miles with no problems. But, it all depends on what you are looking to spend and use the truck for. Just my opinion, but i say the 6.4 ford powerstroke FTW

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by pinky93 View Post
    Everyone, I am looking to buy a diesel truck in the next couple of months and am looking for some advice from everyone here.

I instantly look to a Chevy with the Duramax and Allison tranny, but anyone have feedback on the Chevy, Dodge or Ford??? Used or new?

Thanks, Rick
    I'm a Chevy truck guy, but I think it really ends up being whatever your preference is. I think all 3 make a pretty good diesel truck.

However, stay away from the 6.0 Ford! They are junk! I personally know two people that have blown up their 6.0 liter Fords almost like clockwork at 30,000 mile intervals three times each! If you can find a 7.3 PowerStroke, that'd be a much wiser choice if you go Ford.

I have an '03 Duramax and it's by far the best truck I've ever owned. I bought it with 42,000 miles on it, and the only thing I've done to it is change the oil and put diesel fuel in it.......that's it. It has about 92,000 on it now.
    Last edited by FasstChevys; 03-26-2009 at 11:05 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information