View Poll Results: Should there be a specific section for oils?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    16 69.57%
  • No

    7 30.43%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48

Oil Section

This is a discussion on Oil Section within the Almost Anything Goes forums, part of the Off - Topic / Discussion forums category; Oh it is a leftover myth....anuybody who thinks any oil has the ability to "make" sludge just shows their ignorance. ...

  1. #21
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Oh it is a leftover myth....anuybody who thinks any oil has the ability to "make" sludge just shows their ignorance. It all started from the parrafin wax bullshit...some rocket scientist thought "oh wax like candles" and off the rumor started......sludge comes from an inoperative or poorly maintained crank venilation/shitty air filtration/retarded oil change intervals/fuel dilution....no oil "makes" sludge....and all oil manufactueres utilize parrifin wax in the manufacturing process....it has absolutely nothing in common with wax as we know it in candles etc.
    So you have some old school guys running around still to this day telling folks Pennzoil causes gunk/sludge....and if you sit to close to the TV you'll go blind.
    http://www.lube1.com/factsmyth.htm#1
    Last edited by Sarge; 10-09-2008 at 12:26 PM.

  2. #22
    old timer blue02Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,805

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

    Sarge, i love you


  3. #23
    Member The Manalishi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    515
    Does a Tribologist study the properties of "personal" lubricants? It may sound like a smartassed question but its not intended that way. I just wonder if there is any science in it.

  4. #24
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Voted 'no.'

    What would the general help section be without the bi-daily "Which oil should I use?" thread?

  5. #25
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Quote Originally Posted by The Manalishi View Post
    Does a Tribologist study the properties of "personal" lubricants? It may sound like a smartassed question but its not intended that way. I just wonder if there is any science in it.
    Yes it is.
    Micro lubrication is a big area of study these days. How to lubricate a gear/motor that would fit on the head of a pin.

  6. #26
    Member The Manalishi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Yes it is.
    Micro lubrication is a big area of study these days. How to lubricate a gear/motor that would fit on the head of a pin.
    I've heard a lot about micro lubrication pretty interesting stuff. The other amazing thing I was reading about is lubrication in space, the extreme cold and lack of gravity and what they have to do to overcome that.

  7. #27
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Yup. Entirely different set/sub sets of challenges. Film doesn't react like here on earth. Not really gravity being the issue but the magnetic forces believe it or not.

  8. #28
    Member The Manalishi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Yup. Entirely different set/sub sets of challenges. Film doesn't react like here on earth. Not really gravity being the issue but the magnetic forces believe it or not.
    Yea it talked about magnetic forces as well, gravity just stuck out since that would be a pretty obvious problem but they said it was fairly easily overcome compared to the temps and what they called "other" forces. It wasn't an overly technical article but it got me curious so I have been reading a little more. I read a lot of tech articles anything from oil to brain surgery tools. My wife tells me I'm curious about too much stuff. I think she might be telling me I need to spend more time with her. LOL

  9. #29
    old timer blue02Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,805

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Voted 'no.'

    What would the general help section be without the bi-daily "Which oil should I use?" thread?
    Luos!!! smartass!

  10. #30
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Quote Originally Posted by The Manalishi View Post
    Yea it talked about magnetic forces as well, gravity just stuck out since that would be a pretty obvious problem but they said it was fairly easily overcome compared to the temps and what they called "other" forces. It wasn't an overly technical article but it got me curious so I have been reading a little more. I read a lot of tech articles anything from oil to brain surgery tools. My wife tells me I'm curious about too much stuff. I think she might be telling me I need to spend more time with her. LOL
    Here is the real oil forum. And no it doesn't start with "Bob"
    http://www.eng-tips.com/threadminder.cfm?pid=89&page=1

  11. #31
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Im only using Mobil One, it doesnt end in oil. Im gonna be sludge free for-ev-ver right? Time to go bend over for the ole M1 price.

  12. #32
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Im only using Mobil One, it doesnt end in oil. Im gonna be sludge free for-ev-ver right? Time to go bend over for the ole M1 price.
    Conformist.

  13. #33
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Luos learned a new big word today everybody!!!

  14. #34
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Luos learned a new big word today everybody!!!
    I saw it while I was looking a goat porn.

  15. #35
    I'm with him \l/ bmyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Don't @#!% with LimeCat
    Posts
    5,692
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I saw it while I was looking a goat porn.
    zootube?

  16. #36
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by bmyers View Post
    zootube?
    No.

    But is that legit?

  17. #37
    I'm with him \l/ bmyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Don't @#!% with LimeCat
    Posts
    5,692
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    No.

    But is that legit?


    i think nitrox posted it awhile back, and yes it is legit. only 5 vids a day though.

  18. #38
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by bmyers View Post
    only 5 vids a day though.
    Well....I have never been there.
    So there should be plenty of vids to keep me busy for an hour or so.

  19. #39
    I'm with him \l/ bmyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Don't @#!% with LimeCat
    Posts
    5,692
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Well....I have never been there.
    So there should be plenty of vids to keep me busy for an hour or so.
    enjoy! see you in an hour

  20. #40
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by bmyers View Post
    enjoy! see you in an hour
    Going to wait until Sara is napping tomorrow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. LS1 off topic section the new crybaby section?
    By PhillyLs1 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 05-19-2009, 03:09 PM
  2. Question: Not the Right Section, But...
    By The Silver Goat in forum GTO
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-19-2009, 12:07 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •