Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1966 Corvette Coupe

oil change... part 1

ok im half way through my first oil change on the vette and im taking a much needed break... ive been doing this for about an hour so far...

jacking up the car... how do they expect you to get this thing in the air... i looked and looked for the jacking point till i had to get the manual and found out its nearly in the middle of the car... uuuuuuummm yeah my jack is only 2 inches tall and will reach to the other side of the car....

im trying to be calm here...

sooo i get some junk and make a ramp... get the car up about 3 inches and try to go without the jack... not gonna happen... it could have, but the jack ass that changed it last torqued the friggin drain plug to 100 ft-lbs... and i couldnt get it undone with a car sitting on my chest... (liteally i had to suck in to slide under...) so i slid the jack under it and starting cranking like 8th of an inch at a time... so i finally get it up high enought to get a jack stand under it so it doenst fall on me...

still cant get the drain plug out... so i double up on wrenches and TUUUUUUUUUUG..... finally it slowly breaks loose and i get to take the plug out...

then i start on the filter... and what GM engineer did that shit? ok sorry but having like 1/4 inch of clearance around the filter and only like a 3rd of the filter where you can grip it... and once again 100 ft-lbs... i cant get a good twist on it whith the 6 inches of clearance i now have under the car i just cant seem to get in a good position... so i get a rag and start to twist the fuck out of it... i can feel my fingers denting into the filter trying to get a grip... and the it happens... no the filter doesnt turn...

i figured out that i had made a huge mistake... i bought a 2 section oil pan... and didnt unplug the top section... and it will hold about 4 quarts of oil without opening the lower section... what can i do? im literally pinned under a car... so i just have to reach in and un screw the plugs and hope the flow into the bottom eventually gets faster then the flow out of the car therefore draining less into the floor and onto my head and back...

now im covered in oil... the filter will wont come off... i cant get a screw driver through it... and im pissed...

i finally just bow up and squeeze as hard as i can... i thoght i was gonna blow my guts out of my ass here... and it barely turns.... but that all youneed... it was finally comming... FINALLY... now yeah its break time...

-me

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

my father has a tool that goes around oilfilters, its like a metal ring covered with a rubber grippy thing, you should pick one up at your local autoparts store,

may i ask what oil you are using?

1966 Corvette Coupe

mobil 1 10w-30...

do you approve?

-me

btw rewarding myself with pizza and beer...

Red
    93 Camaro V6(I know lame)

damn

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

i run 5 30 in my car, but its not a vette, i was just wondering, idk whats wrong or right for your car,,

i like your idea of the reward lol

1966 Corvette Coupe

since int he dead of winter her garage never falls velow 65 degrees... i think ill stick witht he 10w...

-me

Black
    2001 TransAm WS6

oh my god, lol you can't even change your own oil. bwaaaaaaaaaaaaa

1966 Corvette Coupe

your right i cant... and its not because its difficult its because i dont even know where the 710 cap is... i should just give up and give that thing away since i know nothing about it...

man i wish i new how to start that thing... i keep looking at the column for a key hole, but its just no there...

-me

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

lol the 710 cap, ahh reminds me of an old joke

I rather be wakeboarding SexyWS6Mama's Avatar

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 WS6

once i got ground effects.......i first made a ramp.......but then got a low profile jack No problems with oil changes now

1966 Corvette Coupe

oh yeah tere was gonna be a part 2 to this, but the only not worthy thing was the fact that i hit my hip on the mirror and laid around trying not to cry for about 5 minutes...

it was one of thos shots taht catch the pelvis and feel like youve set you self on fire...

-me

Black
    2002 Trans Am

I put K&N oil filters in my car exclusively. That 1" nut on the end of the filter is priceless.

Yeah, That's right CaptainCaveMan's Avatar
    Mexican killed my car

Been there done that.

While i was out of town the wife took my old car to some place to get the oil changed and when they put the filter on they cross-threaded it. Oh that was a fucking treat. Broke my oil filter wrench and i couldn't get it for the life of me. My buddy came over and stabbed a screwdriver through the filter and twisted it off that way. It was still a bitch even doing that.

Black
    99 SS

yea it costs me less to take it to valvoline and have them change it for the same stuff i use, it costs 10 bucks less to have them do it cause a friend is a manager there, lol

1966 Corvette Coupe

hey mama where might you have got this low profile jack... looks like i need one BAD!!!

-me

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

eh hem....Firestone does it in 15 minutes for 15$ This thread is reason enough for me to go to them everytime.

Mexican killed my car

Quote Originally Posted by predator
    hey mama where might you have got this low profile jack... looks like i need one BAD!!!

-me
    My friend told me sears had some. I haven't looked though.

NBM
    2000 Vette

I just roll the front end up on the rhino ramps and use the jack on the rear axle. You need to get a end cap oil wrench to get the filter off, makes it a lot easier, just use your 3/8" ratchet drive with it.

TJ

Mexican killed my car

Quote Originally Posted by Band1t
    I just roll the front end up on the rhino ramps and use the jack on the rear axle. You need to get a end cap oil wrench to get the filter off, makes it a lot easier, just use your 3/8" ratchet drive with it.

Click for full size

TJ
    I can't even get my car to go on ramps. Not front ways anyway. When i first bought it we threw some ramps behind the tire at an angle and lifted it just enough to get the jack under the car to do the rest.

Arctic White
    2000 TransAm

I could have had my oil/filter changed before Pred was done with his first post. Shit, I have ramps, low profile floor jack, jack stands and (2) scissors jacks. I use only K&N filters with the 1" hex and 5-30 mobile 1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information