Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

No Cats? Toxicity Warning Information

I did some research because I was at mcdonalds tonight, and I got completely buzzed from not having cats on my exhaust. What really happends when this occurs?

What the catalytic converter does:
    1. Reduction of nitrogen oxides to nitrogen and oxygen: 2NOx → xO2 + N2
    2. Oxidation of (toxic) carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide: 2CO + O2 → 2CO2
    3. Oxidation of unburnt carcinogenic hydrocarbons (HC) to carbon dioxide and water: 2CxHy + (2x+y/2)O2 → 2xCO2 + yH2O

Carbon Monoxide
    The hemoglobin in your blood can't transmit the oxygen, because they are chemically converted. Once they're converted, they can never carry oxygen. Your bodies only choice is to produce more hemoglobin. The dizzy feeling is the lack of oxygen going to your brain. The reason this feeling lasts for some time after you leave the area of carbon monoxide, is because each standard hemoglobin has lived its normal life, it is broken down and that break down releases carbon monoxide into the bloodstream. When you have a carbon monoxide converted hemoglobin, you are adding to the carbon monoxide level of that cell, so upon its break down, higher than average carbon monoxide will be released into you bloodstream. Your liver will filter out the carbon monoxide eventually, and should be easily identified by strong smelling, dark urine within 12 hours of initial exposure. So check your piss in the morning to see how much carbon monoxide your vehicle is spilling out! LOL

Nitrogen Oxides
    NOx

* is one of the main ingredients involved in the formation of ground-level ozone, which can trigger serious respiratory problems.
    * reacts to form nitrate particles, acid aerosols, as well as NO2, which also cause respiratory problems.
    * contributes to formation of acid rain.
    * contributes to nutrient overload that deteriorates water quality.
    * contributes to atmospheric particles, that cause visibility impairment most noticeable in national parks.
    * reacts to form toxic chemicals.
    * contributes to global warming.

Hydrocarbons
    The primary health effect of hydrocarbons results from the formation of ozone and its related health effects. High levels of hydrocarbons in the atmosphere can interfere with oxygen intake by reducing the amount of available oxygen through displacement.

Synopsis:

The lack of a cat, can result in immediate and long term health affects for the drivers, passengers, and everyone else in the world. However, the gain in horsepower in the few vehicles that run no cat's far out weighs the consequences. Most vehicles today come with a catalytic converter from the factory, and 99% of those vehicles never have them removed. The most harm was done before the catalytic converters were standard equipment from the factory, because of the mass amount of vehicles produced, that expelled the above chemicals into the environment. It would be highly dangerous to inhale the gas if your in a closed environment. Even when there's no wind, if you can smell the exhaust, be sure to know what its doing. If you start to feel dizzy, the conversion process of your hemoglobins has started, and you should seek fresh air immediately.
    Last edited by eautocad; 10-20-2007 at 08:18 PM.

pie
    free

I've been thinking about installing cats again so it quiets my exhaust down again.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

it might have been the Big Mac

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

LOL the big mac is probably worse than the lack of cats, honestly. Big macs should be illegal!

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by DanWS6 View Post
    I've been thinking about installing cats again so it quiets my exhaust down again.
    I know I stink after driving my car, cats would at least help with that. It would def calm down the noise as welL!

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

u r right doesnt take long for exaust fumes to make u really sick

pie
    free

Quote Originally Posted by eautocad View Post
    I know I stink after driving my car, cats would at least help with that. It would def calm down the noise as welL!
    Yeah I notice that as well. I would definitely like to find some decent high flow cats that can tuck up well to put on. My last set burned out but also hung down too low. I was always scrapping them on speed bumps.

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    u r right doesnt take long for exaust fumes to make u really sick
    Its funny you mention that, because there were some mcd employees out on break, standing right in my exhaust path. They weren't there for long. One was on the phone, and he immediately walked away. The other was smoking a cigarette, and put it out half smoked and went back inside. I was hoping the cigarette wouldn't ignite some unburnt fuel fumes! YIKES

Not to mention the following

Carbon monoxide: Highly flammable
    Nitrogen Oxide: Non-flammable under these circumstances
    Carcinogenic Hydrocarbons: Highly flammable

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

wow i just got out of the car today and wreak of exhaust... I LOVE IT! Smells like horsepower!

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

F cats

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

Any responsible person in todays world would do whats right for the future of everyone.The industry has made sure cats have no effect on performance,there is NO reason not to run them.

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Rivi View Post
    Any responsible person in todays world would do whats right for the future of everyone.The industry has made sure cats have no effect on performance,there is NO reason not to run them.
    I can't afford them right now, but if you buy a set of SLP's for me I'll be sure to install them. PM me for shipping info.

Faster than....

Red
    1998 Cherokee Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Rivi View Post

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

LOL would cats have any negative affect on a cam'd setup? Wouldn't it create too much back pressure?

I'm also pretty sure having oem cats does affect performance negatively.

Black
    2000 T/A

I just want to know where that McDonalds is at so I can get some of what this dude had

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Ronalds special sauce! Crackdonalds

Black
    2000 T/A

You must have had a looooong lunch to come up with that

The Toxicity Warning part I mean.
    Last edited by fbodynut; 10-22-2007 at 03:59 PM. Reason: more info

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Ppppffffttt. I took the cats off 1. Because I have LT's, 2. Because it sounds better & 3. Because I can. I guess that makes me not responsible. Well, too bad and tough shit!

Remember kids: Nothing is illegal til you're caught!

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Ppppffffttt. I took the cats off 1. Because I have LT's, 2. Because it sounds better & 3. Because I can. I guess that makes me not responsible. Well, too bad and tough shit!

Remember kids: Nothing is illegal til you're caught!

I would have to say, that before I knew about what the cats removed, I really had no care for them. Now I have a very minute care. I still think that because nearly all vehicles have cats now, the few modified vehicles that don't run cats aren't going to ruin the environment. Therefore, I'm an irresponsible adult.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information