Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Black
    2001 WS6

NJ mobile inspection unit= my buddy just got fkd

So i just got a call from my buddy who lives in jersey. His camaro has a 6.0 ls2 conversion with some other stuff done that i dont know. Anyway, he calls me and tells me he just got bit hard by the mobile inspection unit. They gave him a ticket for having aftermarket exhaust (magnaflow), having oversized tires on the rear of his car ( he's got 275s up front and 315s out back on 17'' rims). He got ticketed for having a manual cut out on his car (closed). They said that because he has a cutout on his car, they could have towed it. He's got longtubes, and that they said they could impound his car for that. Hes got an slp lid, and the guy said that it's illegal. My buddy has all his emissions stuff, and even has high flow cats. What do you say to this?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I say CA is not sounding too bad now

Where is his cutout located?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    So i just got a call from my buddy who lives in jersey. His camaro has a 6.0 ls2 conversion with some other stuff done that i dont know. Anyway, he calls me and tells me he just got bit hard by the mobile inspection unit. They gave him a ticket for having aftermarket exhaust (magnaflow), having oversized tires on the rear of his car ( he's got 275s up front and 315s out back on 17'' rims). He got ticketed for having a manual cut out on his car (closed). They said that because he has a cutout on his car, they could have towed it. He's got longtubes, and that they said they could impound his car for that. Hes got an slp lid, and the guy said that it's illegal. My buddy has all his emissions stuff, and even has high flow cats. What do you say to this?
    he needs to get a lawyer cause half of that stuff is bull shit...

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

hes in NJ so hes fucked

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Wtf????? A lid is not illegal, neither is an aftermarket muffler, nor is oversized tires

2011 Prius

Other guy is probably pissed, got beat by you on the street so he will just take you off the street.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    he needs to get a lawyer cause half of that stuff is bull shit...
    ^This!

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

get a lawyer. demand that they show proof in written law and ordinance which states that the listed is illegal. if they can not provide documentation that such things are illegal then he can have it thrown out and could possibly even counter-sue for harassment.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

yo, there is no way that his shit could be ridin dirty like that.....thats the fuckin city tryin to get them ends!

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Just another reason why New Jersey sucks.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Just another reason why New Jersey sucks.
    yes, this and because cuevo lives there.

I would fight the lid but the rest of it could be legit. I believe the lids are carb legal which means they should pass pretty much anywhere in the country. Headers are illegal, muffler shouldn't be illegal unless it fails a db test, tires are most likely illegal if they stick out, and cutout is illegal.

this is VERY simple.....nothing good ever came out of NJ.....dont ask me why hahaha

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    yes, this and because cuevo lives there.

I would fight the lid but the rest of it could be legit. I believe the lids are carb legal which means they should pass pretty much anywhere in the country. Headers are illegal, muffler shouldn't be illegal unless it fails a db test, tires are most likely illegal if they stick out, and cutout is illegal.
    By this statement that must mean that Ohio swallows.

Jersey is hurting for money bad and they are out to get it anyway they can.I am not sure how many of those laws are fact or not but sounds like a way to get money to me.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    Wtf????? A lid is not illegal, neither is an aftermarket muffler, nor is oversized tires
    Per PA state inspection guide lines any tire size bigger or smaller than 2 sizes of stock is cause for inspection rejection. Not sure on Jersey's guidelines but I'm they have a similar guide line

2011 Prius

So you can't have a Jeep with lift and tires? Is that not allowed up there?

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    So you can't have a Jeep with lift and tires? Is that not allowed up there?
    you can but they can not extend past the fenders unless they have fender flares that cover the tires. Many people put on the stock tires for the inspection then put the bigger ones back on.

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by cuervo25_1 View Post
    you can but they can not extend past the fenders unless they have fender flares that cover the tires. Many people put on the stock tires for the inspection then put the bigger ones back on.
    Oh so they are more concerned about how wide the tires is and not how tall?

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by cuervo25_1 View Post
    There is a 4 inch (?) limit on the amount of flare you can have. I put 4" flared fiberglass fenders/bedsides on my ranger and my 33's still stuck out past. However, my inspections are done on basically a lick and stick basis, all the visible stuff checked and shot out the door. I maintain and fix my shit, he knows it, I know it, so we're good. Anything that could be grounds for the popos goin' back to him, "was done after he inspected it".

You should see it around here now that the natural gas exploration boom has arrived. Those Texas tards don't drive anything WITHOUT 6" of lift and 37" tires.

white
    1999 Trans AM 30th anniv.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    have him bring it to Wyoming--nothing is illegal on cars as long as you have the Cats or something that resembles them

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I call B.S.. Never had a problem with my GTO. Whoever the inspector was is full of it. I had my car inspected at the shop I used to work at and my car passed with flying colors. Cops don't even give me a hard time. The only thing I see causing the car to fail is the cutout. If the rear tires don't extend past the fenders, he is good. If he is emissions compliant, he is good. As long as he doesn't have dark tint on the side windows and windshield, he is good. Also...as far as the towing remark...that is scheisse as well. NJ is asking for a lawsuit. This is WHY folks here are taking their cars to my old job and other shops that are licensed DMV inspection facilities. If I recall, my tuner is a licensed DMV inspection facility. Reminds me of when Whitman was governor and she wanted all cars that were 10 years and older seized and crushed. She got hammered by the media and NJ residents. You CAN'T force someone to leave their car alone. Tell your friend about the SEMA Action Network. That site contains info about what mods are legal/illegal depending on the state. SEMASAN I think it's called.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information