Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Nissan Leaf! What are your thoughts?

This is a discussion on Nissan Leaf! What are your thoughts? within the Almost Anything Goes forums, part of the Off - Topic / Discussion forums category; mitsubishi just released one thats a little less expensive, around $20K after tax credit. http://www.autotropolis.com/auto-new...ishi-i-ev.html I wouldnt want to drive ...

mitsubishi just released one thats a little less expensive, around $20K after tax credit.
    http://www.autotropolis.com/auto-new...ishi-i-ev.html
    I wouldnt want to drive one of these things but glad to see we are headed this direction and its becoming reality. Me personally id rather have a 40-50 mpg diesel in a small truck

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by Red97GTP View Post
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the Volt has a gas powered engine that generates power for the electric motor. The Leaf is the only truly electric zero emission vehicle.
    Yes but the cars that are powered by a hydrogen generator that powers the electric engine only emmits water.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by Red97GTP View Post
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the Volt has a gas powered engine that generates power for the electric motor. The Leaf is the only truly electric zero emission vehicle.
    The gas engine is there to supplement the electric. It only kicks on after you run the battery down.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

You know, I just can't see folks in the future stting around on a forum such as LS1.com and talking about their "Classic Leaf"...

Anyone remember when our Culture included powerful cool cars????

Electric cars currently are like trying to overcome the element of fire with a bag of gravel.. Currently a 200-400+hp electric motor uses a shit ton of energy, and weights as much as some cars do.. So don't expect any super powerful electric cars anytime soon unless they weigh more than is practical.. The other flaw in the logic behind these stupid things is you're still using fossil fuel to power it too.. The majority of the power produced in this country is made by burning coal.. Electric cars were'nt practical then and they are'nt practical now.. It's still cheaper and more practical to run a vehicle powered by a gasoline/diesel engine..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Ray Charles blue

They just are not practical yet. They have to use SOMETHING better than the heavy battery packs they have now. Even vehicles like the TESLA are light but with a heavy battery is say 50% lighter the mileage will go up and up on these things. The battery option is nice I guess but again, its not practical for all people in every day life.

Granted some tree hugger says it fits his life "swell" and thats great. I dont feel it working for all of us. Not everyone has a driveway or even a garage to park in. You think people will run an 80 foot cord to their car at night to charge the ole girl up? What happens if you cant charge it at home and you have to do it at work? Its not like you can just plug in to the middle of the parking lot. Then, if you can you will be charged out the ass for it. Another thing, if you do get stranded with ZERO power and need to get somewhere you cant simply swap out a battery. The thing will either sit there till it is charged enough to get you home or you will have it towed home.

Now, solar body panels would be an option but again the cost is HUGE.

For 10k I can get a honda 4-banger and get 38 mpgs and drive it for 200k miles if I take care of it and my overall price is less than that of a new car. That is total investment cost of about 32k and that is paying the tax on the vehicle and I dont have to worry about plugging it in and if the engine goes bad I can work on it and fix it myself. Plus if I am in an accident I dont have to worry about battery juice freaking everywhere.

The heavy battery has GOT to go.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    They just are not practical yet. They have to use SOMETHING better than the heavy battery packs they have now. Even vehicles like the TESLA are light but with a heavy battery is say 50% lighter the mileage will go up and up on these things. The battery option is nice I guess but again, its not practical for all people in every day life.

Granted some tree hugger says it fits his life "swell" and thats great. I dont feel it working for all of us. Not everyone has a driveway or even a garage to park in. You think people will run an 80 foot cord to their car at night to charge the ole girl up? What happens if you cant charge it at home and you have to do it at work? Its not like you can just plug in to the middle of the parking lot. Then, if you can you will be charged out the ass for it. Another thing, if you do get stranded with ZERO power and need to get somewhere you cant simply swap out a battery. The thing will either sit there till it is charged enough to get you home or you will have it towed home.

Now, solar body panels would be an option but again the cost is HUGE.

For 10k I can get a honda 4-banger and get 38 mpgs and drive it for 200k miles if I take care of it and my overall price is less than that of a new car. That is total investment cost of about 32k and that is paying the tax on the vehicle and I dont have to worry about plugging it in and if the engine goes bad I can work on it and fix it myself. Plus if I am in an accident I dont have to worry about battery juice freaking everywhere.

The heavy battery has GOT to go.
    I picture a giant "D" battery flying through the air in a wreck...

Ray Charles blue

Seriously..........and I cant wait to see the disposal process either. That will be cheap I am sure and who will pay for it? The vehicle manufacturer or the owner of the car? I am betting the owner of the car. There is another issue........

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    Seriously..........and I cant wait to see the disposal process either. That will be cheap I am sure and who will pay for it? The vehicle manufacturer or the owner of the car? I am betting the owner of the car. There is another issue........
    Imagine sitting @ a red light in your car..

Suddenly, a giant full size SUV rearends one of these plastic quarter cars @ high speed and out comes this 3-400 pound battery like an effin bommerang.!.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information