Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL Field Goals

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

NFL Field Goals

With all the kickers making kicks from farther away than ever before should there be more rules about how close you have to kick one or should the size of the goals be changed ??

blue
    83 mustang 347

They Are All On Roids

Nah, it's just part of the game. They've been able to kick 50+ yarders for a while. It's not like it'f getting out of hand. It isn't like offenses get into FG range and kick it real quick, so until then I see no problem.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

I think that 50 yarders are difficult enough they should change nothing. The guys that make them are making them look easy, but they aren't. Trust me. The majority of NFL kickers probably have a tough time in game situations at field goals around 50 yds. Not ever kicker is Viniateri sp?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

How about this:
    1-15 yards = 1 point (kinda like a PAT since they are like a gimme);
    16-40 yards = 2 points (greater difficulty);
    41-55 yards = 3 points (greater still);
    56+ = 4 points (you get the "point")

This might liven up the game some, especially towards the end. I'm getting tired of watching a fairly evenly matched game that is won in the last 5 seconds by 1 point with a 20 yard FG. Make them go long or go for the TD. IDK, just my opinion.

Also, what ever became of the "drop kick"?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    How about this:

This might liven up the game some, especially towards the end. I'm getting tired of watching a fairly evenly matched game that is won in the last 5 seconds by 1 point with a 20 yard FG. Make them go long or go for the TD. IDK, just my opinion.

Officially, the shortest any field goal can be is 17 yards. The bars are 10 yards deep in the end zone and you line up 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage for the attempt. An extra point attempt is "officially" a 20 yard kick. If the ball is at the 33 yard line, you are kicking a 50 yard field goal etc.

How about this:

I think they do that point scale in the CFL? Maybe some other league, but a 17-40yd FG is worth 3, while a 40+ yarder is worth 4.....I think that's how it goes, I might have the yards wrong or something, I'm not really sure.

Drop Kicks are really fucking hard. Try it one time, it's hard as shit to get it to go high or far. You wear out your leg doing that. Flutie is god. All hail Flutie.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I think they should make all the kickers have surgery to have half of their kicking foot removed but that's just me.....a Saint's fan.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

I was thinking only have so many attemps you can make per half ... like time-outs

Red
    2001 ws6

heres the problem with a 1 point 2 point 3 point 4 point system.....your team drives from there own 5 yrd line and gets stopped....kicks a feild goal....2 pts......the opposing team drives from there own 5 yrd line.....only get to the 35 yrd line....kick a 52 yarder and gets 3 pts for less work?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    heres the problem with a 1 point 2 point 3 point 4 point system.....your team drives from there own 5 yrd line and gets stopped....kicks a feild goal....2 pts......the opposing team drives from there own 5 yrd line.....only get to the 35 yrd line....kick a 52 yarder and gets 3 pts for less work?
    The idea is to induce them to go for the 4th down play to make a 1st down or TD attempt instead of a FG if they're in the red zone.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

How about this:

this will never work.

You could make all the changes you want, but it'd just take away from the game of football. The sport is meant to showcase a player's skills, and, let's face it, kicker's are players, too. 3 points is 3 points.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

thats why i say give the teams 3 attempts at a FG per half .. that way if the game is close and the coach wants to keep an attempt for the last drive of the game , they will have to go for it more during the game ...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

how about if we make all the field goals worth 3 points and after the touchdown they have the option of trying to kick a field goal worth 1 point.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    how about if we make all the field goals worth 3 points and after the touchdown they have the option of trying to kick a field goal worth 1 point.

I think touchdowns should be worth 6 points and there should be an option for a 2 point conversion as well

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post

I think touchdowns should be worth 6 points and there should be an option for a 2 point conversion as well
    sounds like the perfect sport to me Maybe we should try to market this new league of football. We'll call it the MFL (Motherland Football League) or something like that.

Midnight Blue
    2000 Camaro Z28

you see kickers never bothered me in football cause there's always something different like windspeed or different grass. what really needs to change is fucking basketball. i can see how it used to be a fun sport a long time ago when it was still starting out and not everybody playing was 8' tall and can dunk without jumping. i say they should raise the basket 5 feet in every court so each team stops getting over 100 points per game. i mean shit, the first game ever played was won 1-0. but that's just me and i hate basketball now.

Love buying generic GM's Nastyfoot's Avatar

Black, Black
    2011 "Generic" Gasser

Teams in domed stadiums have an unfair advantage regarding kickers.

Late December and your team is attempting a 47 yd field goal with your playoff lives on the line.........but your in a 72 degree climate controlled stadium?

I don't like it. Football was meant to be played outdoors and one of the elements to battle is weather. With domes, why not just move the NFL season to say April? Then you pretty much have an even advantage (wind not being one) across the board

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Nastyfoot View Post
    Teams in domed stadiums have an unfair advantage regarding kickers.

Late December and your team is attempting a 47 yd field goal with your playoff lives on the line.........but your in a 72 degree climate controlled stadium?

I don't like it. Football was meant to be played outdoors and one of the elements to battle is weather. With domes, why not just move the NFL season to say April? Then you pretty much have an even advantage (wind not being one) across the board
    I used to think just like you.......until I sat in Cleveland's old stadium one December and watched Cleveland play the Saints. Froze my nuts off.

I agree though that the game is much better played in the elements. Nothing like watching Buffalo or someone play a southern team in a blowing snow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information