Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

New Z06 Specs Leaked

Chevrolet accidentally leaked the specs...

2015 Corvette Z06: 620 HP, 650 LB-FT Of Torque | GM Authority

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

So its another supercharged top tier vette that makes less power than the current superchared top tier vette?

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    So its another supercharged top tier vette that makes less power than the current superchared top tier vette?
    they didnt say it was supercharged...they said its anticipated that it'll have a blower. Wont know until GM releases the actual specs...
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    they didnt say it was supercharged...they said its anticipated that it'll have a blower. Wont know until GM releases the actual specs...
    They said they thought it was going to be superchared and that they think it will have 620hp/650trq. All of this is they "think" none of it is 100% confirmed. Also the trq over hp rating is a good sign it will be FI. Unless they found a way to bump the trq severly as even the ls7 with 505hp only has 470trq so it has more hp as do most NA small blocks engine once they get to those power levels because of the rpm needed to hit those power levels.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 01-08-2014 at 08:00 AM.

red
    95 Z28

Yeah but this isn't the top tier vette. I'm not sure how this can be seen as anything but awesome. This car will most likely outperform the current ZR1, the new Viper, and many more. And Chevy can still turn the wick up even further with a new ZR1 if they need to.

And BTW, a picture of the new ZO6 motor has been out there for awhile now, and it is blown. The blower is ultra low profile, so much so it barely looks like a blower. Cool stuff

edit: never mind, there's a pic of the engine in that link.
    this post is meant as a joke and in no way should it be interpreted as a serious or meaningful reply. The author of this post cannot be held liable for any damages, both emotional and physical, that may be incurred from the reading of this post. By acknowledging this disclaimer you hereby release the author from any and all liability

NBM
    1999 TA A4

I think its also several hundred pounds lighter.
    2010 Camaro SIM 2SS/RS A6
    1999 TA A4 NBM
    12.265 at 110.52mph

Arctic White, red/gray

I was hoping for a 620hp NA z06. No reason they couldnt do it. The current 7.0 can make 600whp with the stock bottom end. GM should have been able to crank out a 600-620 crank hp NA track monster.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

That's gonna be nuts, can't even imagine that much power.

Clint195 had the lingenfelter N/A package, and that was pretty insane, maybe 540rwhp?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

My car has 500rwhp and I am already used to it. I will be pushing more boost before too long.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

red
    95 Z28

I was hoping for a 620hp NA z06. No reason they couldnt do it. The current 7.0 can make 600whp with the stock bottom end. GM should have been able to crank out a 600-620 crank hp NA track monster.

Sure they could do it. The problem is getting it to pass emissions, be livable, get decent economy, and be reasonable from a production cost for a car with that volume. Any other car with an NA engine that powerful is considerably more expensive and runs less volume.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Sure they could do it. The problem is getting it to pass emissions, be livable, get decent economy, and be reasonable from a production cost for a car with that volume. Any other car with an NA engine that powerful is considerably more expensive and runs less volume.
    Yes but most super cars with 600hp n/a are smaller than 7.0 liters and rev to the moon. That is why they are more expensive and less livable/ bad economy. There is no reason they could not have made a 600hp crank and still had a emissions passing, good driving car. Especially with direct injection and the new cylinder head design. Ferrari, McClaren, Aston, lambo, ascari and more all have 600+hp NA engines that are much smaller in size. Now I understand these cars aremore expensive, less liviable and get bad mileage but these power figures are not from 7.0 liters they are from 5.5 liters to 6.2 liters. And some of these are 20 year old engines!!! Hell McClaren made 620hp over 22 years ago with a 6.2 liter. Ferrari makes 580hp with a 4.5 liter.... GM has 2.5 more liters to play with. Are you telling me GM couldn't make 600crank hp with a 7.0 small block that passes emissions and gets 20mpg+ freeway? I think they could.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 01-10-2014 at 05:39 AM.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    My car has 500rwhp and I am already used to it. I will be pushing more boost before too long.
    400lbs or so more too.

red
    95 Z28

Yes but most super cars with 600hp n/a are smaller than 7.0 liters and rev to the moon. That is why they are more expensive and less livable/ bad economy. There is no reason they could not have made a 600hp crank and still had a emissions passing, good driving car. Especially with direct injection and the new cylinder head design. Ferrari, McClaren, Aston, lambo, ascari and more all have 600+hp NA engines that are much smaller in size. Now I understand these cars aremore expensive, less liviable and get bad mileage but these power figures are not from 7.0 liters they are from 5.5 liters to 6.2 liters. And some of these are 20 year old engines!!! Hell McClaren made 620hp over 22 years ago with a 6.2 liter. Ferrari makes 580hp with a 4.5 liter.... GM has 2.5 more liters to play with. Are you telling me GM couldn't make 600crank hp with a 7.0 small block that passes emissions and gets 20mpg+ freeway? I think they could.
    You're correct, they could make a 600+hp NA engine pass emissions and be livable. But then you don't meet any of the other requirements. Cost is going to go through the roof, just look at all the lightweight and expensive parts just to make a 505hp LS7 livable and reliable enough for a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. It's simple math for GM. Their goal is simply X horsepower. What is the simplest, cheapest, and most reliable way to get there. And it isn't with a normally aspirated high revving engine when we're talking about power levels above 500hp. Exotic manufacturers can get away with it because they want the character of a high revving NA engine, with little worry about long term reliability, maintenance costs, production costs, or fuel economy. What is interesting to note is that most manufacturers, even those that have steadfastly clung to NA engines for as long as possible(BMW), are changing over to boosted engines for all the reasons I have listed. They're finding they can meet their performance and production goals with a better package, albeit less interesting in some people's eyes. High revving is the key phrase here that is usually the driver in development costs for an engine. Price out an engine replacement for a 458, Lamborghini, or McLaren F1 (BMW built that engine BTW, not McLaren). The cost will be significantly higher than for a ZO6 or even ZR1. And btw, all of those engines you named are known for being much more maintenance intensive, and flat out just wont last as long. Manufacturers have admitted as such.

I'm with you though, generally speaking regarding NA high revving engines. They're incredibly entertaining to drive. I recently drove a V8 M3 up here in Colorado. Taking that thing up over 8000 rpm in the 1/4 mile is cool for sure, quite the experience. Then I realized that my mom's new 335i was way faster due to the altitude, despite being not nearly as exciting to drive.

Black / White

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    400lbs or so more too.
    Hence why it feels slow

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    You're correct, they could make a 600+hp NA engine pass emissions and be livable. But then you don't meet any of the other requirements. Cost is going to go through the roof, just look at all the lightweight and expensive parts just to make a 505hp LS7 livable and reliable enough for a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. It's simple math for GM. Their goal is simply X horsepower. What is the simplest, cheapest, and most reliable way to get there. And it isn't with a normally aspirated high revving engine when we're talking about power levels above 500hp. Exotic manufacturers can get away with it because they want the character of a high revving NA engine, with little worry about long term reliability, maintenance costs, production costs, or fuel economy. What is interesting to note is that most manufacturers, even those that have steadfastly clung to NA engines for as long as possible(BMW), are changing over to boosted engines for all the reasons I have listed. They're finding they can meet their performance and production goals with a better package, albeit less interesting in some people's eyes. High revving is the key phrase here that is usually the driver in development costs for an engine. Price out an engine replacement for a 458, Lamborghini, or McLaren F1 (BMW built that engine BTW, not McLaren). The cost will be significantly higher than for a ZO6 or even ZR1. And btw, all of those engines you named are known for being much more maintenance intensive, and flat out just wont last as long. Manufacturers have admitted as such.

I'm with you though, generally speaking regarding NA high revving engines. They're incredibly entertaining to drive. I recently drove a V8 M3 up here in Colorado. Taking that thing up over 8000 rpm in the 1/4 mile is cool for sure, quite the experience. Then I realized that my mom's new 335i was way faster due to the altitude, despite being not nearly as exciting to drive.
    I really don't think 600hp is pushing reliability limits on a 7.0 liter either. As I said before the reason Ferrari and other exotics cost so much and aren't very reliable is because they are using super light weight reved to the max valvetrains because they are getting similar power with 2 liters less.The guys who do really push reliability limits and get into super expensive valve trains are the guys running 8200+ rpms on those ls7s. Those guys also make 700+crank hp. I am only asking for 600 and with the new tech in the ls engines it would probably only need to rev out to 7500rpms which really isn't crazy or stressful on good valvetrain parts. I think they chose the easy way out with FI on this. I was hoping they would keep the z06 as a track monster and big power N/A is better on a track than FI.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 01-13-2014 at 07:48 AM.

Black / White

White
    '10 ZR1

No!!!!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

red
    95 Z28

big power N/A is better on a track than FI.
    As someone with quite a bit of track time on road courses, that is absolutely not true. Unless you're simply talking about a driving preference or what you view to be more exciting. Plenty of ridiculously fast racecars out there that are boosted. The dominant cars in P1 endurance racing have been boosted for years now. As well as many others.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information