Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

New Rider questions. Bike Guys Please Chime In

So I'm planning on getting a bike for the work commute, not really looking for a cruiser but more into the sport bikes. Of course I know better then to jump on a Hyabusa or anything to powerful since I am a new rider. I've researched a little online but I figure I'll see what you all have to say on the matter. So basically I'm a new rider, I'm wantig to know some opinions on good beginner bikes for a 6' 235ish lb driver. Also if any one has any thoughts on fuel injected vs. carbed bikes that would be helpful. Thanks all

ASA Cam, Built A4, 3500 Stall, LT's, ORY, Hooker CB, E Cut-out, Lid, Modified SSRA, , SFC's,UMI Tq Arm w/relo, Spohn LCA's, 3.73's, Free Mods, Dyno tuned by James @ SpeedShift Performance. Need more suspension mods!!!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Have you ever ridden any bike before (IE Dirtbike, smaller sports bike, etc.) ?

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

I rode one briefly a few times when I was a teenager, and for a very short distance, like across the park and up the street. I'll add that being in the Army, before I can even get a bike I have to take the Army's Basic Riders Course and Motorcycle Safety Course. I'll get my lisence after I'm through with those two.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Main thing is respect which you seem to have knowing not to jump on the fastest/biggest bike. Remember that even a 250cc can kill you quick. Main thing to watch out for is dumbass drivers that don't look/see you and can make you're life a living nightmare (If they don't kill you)

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Yeah I'm not looking for thrills, I've got the TA for that. I spotted a Suzuki GS500F in the lemon lot and there a few 600's and 650's from misc makes there too. A coworker of mine recommended I start out on a 600 size bike given my size but some things I've dug up on the web says that mught be too much.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Yes and no! You're right hand determines everything. If you are not out for thrills then you won't be on the gas much (No need to be either, they haul the mail ) I think the 500 or 600 would be up you're alley size wise.

Red
    99 SS

I traded my busa for my SS I'm 5'9" 170, as big as you are you won't enjoy a small cramped bike such as any bike 1000cc's down to a 600, Suzuki 500cc or a 650f are set up a little different, with a more straight up sitting position so you will be more comfortable on them then the straight sportbike, unless you get a busa or zx1400.

Both the big bore bikes, the busa and zx1400 are more sport touring, and are very comfortable, I sold my 07 cbr1000rr for the busa because of how uncomfortable the 1000 was.

Any bike can kill you, a busa is no more dangerous than a ninja 250 if you ride responsibly, if you cant do that than a busa is very dangerous, your talking 90 in first gear with the top speed limited to 186, and take it from someone who been there, it doesn't take long to reach that speed, its all in the rider, you will find the busa very stable comfortable, the small bikes don't feel as close to as stable as the big bikes even at highway speed

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RedSuperSport; 11-06-2011 at 04:46 PM.

Red
    99 SS

Its all in your right hand buddy you respect the bike and watch your six, always check your rearview, never sit at a stop sign or stop light in neutral, and ride like nobody can see you, you will be fine with whatever bike you choose

Ray Charles blue

You are a big guy so a small bike isnt going to be comfy. When I say small I dont mean the CC size. Any year FZ6 will do nicely (any year, they use variations of different 600cc sport bike engines and no, not all are the same) as well Kawi has a Z750 that would do you just fine. More upright with a half fairing.

If you want something cool look at Triumph as they have some bikes from the last 10 years or so that look retro and are not THAT expensive (no more than a Jap bike) and they are just cool. For instance a Bonneville or a Thunderbird is a great bike and not something you see every day. Or the Kawi Ninja 650 is a side by side twin and that thing is a great little bike. Not sure what state you are in buy my Buddy in Rocheser, NY had a Ninja 650 with a few little scrapes for pretty cheap. It is silver with red and it has I think 2500 miles on it. Betting you could get it for under 3k.

As far as FI or carb it doesnt matter. I have had both and both are fine.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

I went with a pretty small bike for my first one this year, I'm 6'2'' 255 and have a 1978 kz400. picked it up for $300 have less than a grand in it and it will do 75 on the highway all day even with my fat ass. not fast but its still a lot of fun and has been great to learn on. So far the longest trip I've been on was a 300 mile round trip to the indianapolis moto gp and never got tired while riding
    when i got it

How it sits today

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    You are a big guy so a small bike isnt going to be comfy. When I say small I dont mean the CC size. Any year FZ6 will do nicely (any year, they use variations of different 600cc sport bike engines and no, not all are the same) as well Kawi has a Z750 that would do you just fine. More upright with a half fairing.

If you want something cool look at Triumph as they have some bikes from the last 10 years or so that look retro and are not THAT expensive (no more than a Jap bike) and they are just cool. For instance a Bonneville or a Thunderbird is a great bike and not something you see every day. Or the Kawi Ninja 650 is a side by side twin and that thing is a great little bike. Not sure what state you are in buy my Buddy in Rocheser, NY had a Ninja 650 with a few little scrapes for pretty cheap. It is silver with red and it has I think 2500 miles on it. Betting you could get it for under 3k.

As far as FI or carb it doesnt matter. I have had both and both are fine.

+1 on the triumph, my next bike will be a bonneville thruxton

Ray Charles blue

I like that KZ!

I like cool bikes that just scream cool without having to have a loud ass exhaust or some racy plastics.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Thanks all, I can see your point as far as the danger usually lies in the riders right hand. I figure having a bike with less power should keep me out of trouble. The seat position mentioned earlier is a good point, I'll probably need to go to a dealer and sit on a few to get a feel for what will suit me best.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    I like that KZ!

I like cool bikes that just scream cool without having to have a loud ass exhaust or some racy plastics.
    thanks man, she's been a blast so far and I haven't seen another one like it haha

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by robcas47 View Post
    Thanks all, I can see your point as far as the danger usually lies in the riders right hand. I figure having a bike with less power should keep me out of trouble. The seat position mentioned earlier is a good point, I'll probably need to go to a dealer and sit on a few to get a feel for what will suit me best.
    While I thought the same thing that is up to the rider to stay out of trouble, the day you get over confident in your ability to handle speed on a big bike could be your last.

sunset orange metallic
    2002 T/A convertible

Best advice: buy a medium size piece of Jap-crap in the 400-600cc range.Some thing that if you drop it, you won't give two shits about the paint. Ride the snot out of it until you think you are ready to move up to a bigger bike. Ride it some more, hiways, towns, etc. All kinds of roads. Ride it through towns on "check day". This will teach you avoidance maneuvers from the old people and the welfare crowd. If you can do this for AT LEAST 6 to 9 months without killing yourself or somebody else, THEN, and ONLY THEN, go buy yourself a nice bike and enjoy the freedom of the road.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by 02ragtop t/a View Post
    Best advice: buy a medium size piece of Jap-crap in the 400-600cc range.Some thing that if you drop it, you won't give two shits about the paint. Ride the snot out of it until you think you are ready to move up to a bigger bike. Ride it some more, hiways, towns, etc. All kinds of roads. Ride it through towns on "check day". This will teach you avoidance maneuvers from the old people and the welfare crowd. If you can do this for AT LEAST 6 to 9 months without killing yourself or somebody else, THEN, and ONLY THEN, go buy yourself a nice bike and enjoy the freedom of the road.
    +1 yea what he said, my bike has a $5 rattle can paint job

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Carb > fuel
    Air cooled > liquid cooled
    ^ b/c maintenance. a carbed-aircooled motor is the simplest motor to work on.

I've rode everything (because of friends/family who all have different things and opinions). The easiest to ride/handle was a crotch rocket, b/c it's the lightest bike you'll get on. The ride position takes some getting used to, but not bad after alittle while. I won't take mine for anything longer than 25 miles or so, b/c of the angle my back sits and how close I am to the handle bars.

The biggest thing you have to learn is anticipation. You need to worry about all the other dumbasses out there. This is why I am considering getting rid of my bike until I have more time'cash for a toy, I've had too many close calls which were no fault of my own. The 3 best things I have learned: ALWAYS have an escape plan, NEVER trust anyone and never do the same speed as the person next to you.

Here's mine, 1k for it with maybe $500 after 6 years. Most of which was paint and new rubber.
    1983 Honda Nighthawk 750

Red
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by 02ragtop t/a View Post

Very good point cause you will drop it whether its just in your garage or on the road, its inevitable, anybody that's rode a lot has or will, one tip over on a busa and your looking over 1500 dollars in OEM plastic for just one side of the bike, so get yourself a little junker to learn on

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

As was already mentioned, drive it like everyone else on the road is out to kill you, because they are all totally oblivious to your existence whilst they text their significant other between bites off their Big Mac and chugs from their 44oz Bladder Splatterer.

Also, everyone so far is mentioning street bikes. My own personal preference is for a Dual Sport. For you I would recommend the KLR650 Kawasaki. Drop dead reliable, endless aftermarket, and effortless hiway cruising with the ability to go off the beaten path whenever the opportunity arises. Plus, it is absolutely THE vehicle to own if the S ever HTF.

I had a V45 Magna and got rid of it when I started thinking I could ride it. The speed is intoxicating and you don't really realize how fast you are going because it is so effortless.

I remember after riding it for a little bit and wondering to myself "Why is everybody poking around so?" Then I looked at my speedo and I was running 90mph.

After a few close calls, none caused by me, I got rid of it but the bike itch is always there.

Edit: DON'T go buy a new one. This is your first real bike so it IS going to be dropped. Check your local craigslist and find a good used one for less than half what a new one costs. Ride it a while to gain experience and then decide if you want to spend the $$$ for a new one. A quick check of the local dual sports found several low mile fairly new models for <$3000.
    Last edited by CJREX; 11-07-2011 at 03:55 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information