Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New job help

Blue
    09 Nissan Altima

New job help

Well, I applied but I want to get you guys' take on the situation.

Currently I work 6 days a week, usually around 50 hours or so. I work for my father-in-law and I get paid a straight salary each week. I don't mind working for him, and it's a pretty easy job and I make decent money (for not having a college degree). The downside is I have no vacation time, no sick days, no benefits, no holiday pay, etc. Straight salary. Though, he has usually let me off work for vacations with my wife and big family holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas.

My problem comes into play when I go to ask for time off, he always seemingly gets upset like he doesn't want to give it to me. (I've secretly named him the schedule Nazi.) He's one for the "I pay you for the work you do" mentality. If it were up to him, I'd work 7 days a week 24/7, but his eldest daughter wouldn't allow that If I don't work, he doesn't want to pay. You get the idea.

I just recently sent in a resume to a local school system b/c they have a school treasurer position available. I do basically the same for my father-in-law (book keeping, bank deposits, etc.) and if I got the job at the school, I'd be a state employee with benefits, holidays, weekends, and all that stuff. The problem is that I'd be making roughly $1000 less each month.

Would LS1.com take the job with the school system and actually have a normal life or stay where I'm at?

Liquid Red
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT

I'd go with the school system job. It's benefits are gonna be great, and that will make up for the difference. Living without benefits such as health care is a huge risk to take. Plus, mixing business with family is just never a good idea. The money may be less, but if you can afford to live without that extra pay and be secure in your family, I'd say take the school system job.

Blue
    09 Nissan Altima

That's kind of what I've been thinking. My F-I-L is a good guy as just that, but he sucks as a boss. I hope I hear back from the school.

Any other suggestions people?

2011 Prius

If they offered, I would take. I think in the end, you'd make about the same. Hell, I would imagine you still get a mounth off during the summer?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I agree with the other two people. Benefits make up nearly 1/3 or more of your base salary. Having benefits alone would make me take the other position. Also, it sounds like you may only be able to move up the chain with your FIL if you work about 100 hours a week, which, you obviously do not want to do.

Have you asked your wife about it? Whats does she say?

Will you taking another job cause hardship in the family?

Either way, I would take it if it was offered.

Black
    2002 Z28 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by Red97GTP View Post
    I'd go with the school system job. It's benefits are gonna be great, and that will make up for the difference. Living without benefits such as health care is a huge risk to take. Plus, mixing business with family is just never a good idea. The money may be less, but if you can afford to live without that extra pay and be secure in your family, I'd say take the school system job.
    wa
    hat does it matter, you will have obama care before long. Go into his office and tell shit needs to change or u will get another job. Chances are he will cause ur married to his daughter.

Blue
    09 Nissan Altima

Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    If they offered, I would take. I think in the end, you'd make about the same. Hell, I would imagine you still get a mounth off during the summer?
    I believe it's a 12 month position at the school, but I'm pretty sure there are a couple of weeks during the summer that school is closed.

Blue
    09 Nissan Altima

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I agree with the other two people. Benefits make up nearly 1/3 or more of your base salary. Having benefits alone would make me take the other position. Also, it sounds like you may only be able to move up the chain with your FIL if you work about 100 hours a week, which, you obviously do not want to do.

Have you asked your wife about it? Whats does she say?

Will you taking another job cause hardship in the family?

Either way, I would take it if it was offered.
    Yeah, right now I don't have any health insurance or anything like that. My wife is a little sketchy about not making as much money, but we have paid a butt load of debt off in the past 2 months, so it'd make it a bit easier.

Blue
    09 Nissan Altima

Quote Originally Posted by supercopone View Post
    wa
    hat does it matter, you will have obama care before long. Go into his office and tell shit needs to change or u will get another job. Chances are he will cause ur married to his daughter.
    He is as stubborn as the sky is blue. I just hope that if I am offered the other job, he doesn't take offense to me taking it. It's a small business that is currently struggling, and I look at it as if I'm helping him save money by not having to pay me anymore.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I don't agree with that in all cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Red97GTP View Post

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

join the north carolina army national guard, get paid to goto school and housing allowence, and you get a nice little bonus plus you are working for a retirement you are basically a state employer in the national guard. You get paid almost 200 bucks for doing 2 days of work a month. And north carolina 30th brigade shouldnt be deploying any where for the next two years since we are here in iraq right now you take it how you see it. Oh yea and a life insurance policy of 500,000 for the cheap price of 29 bucks a months plus many many more benefits I didnt add into here. Take your pick get paid for every little bs thing you do with the army and get a free college degree or just be an under paid accountant for the rest of your life. Just figured I would throw the option out since you do live in north carolina and if you interested I can get you in touch with a great recruiter who can give you everything that is offered.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Damn, I thought it sucked working 50 hours with NO benefits. Is your father a member of Workaholics Anonymous?

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I'd take the job just so the father-in-law doesn't have anything over me. BTW salary sucks..

Black
    2002 Z28 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    join the north carolina army national guard, get paid to goto school and housing allowence, and you get a nice little bonus plus you are working for a retirement you are basically a state employer in the national guard. You get paid almost 200 bucks for doing 2 days of work a month. And north carolina 30th brigade shouldnt be deploying any where for the next two years since we are here in iraq right now you take it how you see it. Oh yea and a life insurance policy of 500,000 for the cheap price of 29 bucks a months plus many many more benefits I didnt add into here. Take your pick get paid for every little bs thing you do with the army and get a free college degree or just be an under paid accountant for the rest of your life. Just figured I would throw the option out since you do live in north carolina and if you interested I can get you in touch with a great recruiter who can give you everything that is offered.
    They must be giving out a referral bonus ...lol

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    I'd take the job just so the father-in-law doesn't have anything over me. BTW salary sucks..
    Salary only sucks when your employer requires you to work more than 40 hours a week or if you want to make more than what you would typically by working more....

If you have a job that requires you to work only 40 hours or less a week, and you get compensated well, than being salary is nice.

Blue
    09 Nissan Altima

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Damn, I thought it sucked working 50 hours with NO benefits. Is your father a member of Workaholics Anonymous?
    haha, yeah i think he's the president. there's hardly a moment in a day where his blackberry isn't on his ear and he's not smashing away at the computer. i swear he's gonna stroke out one of these days.

Black
    99 SS

dude, i work for the state of OH, its worth it on beneffits alone man, get a ton of days off a ton of sick and vacation days, great retirement systems, go for it

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by chiller2484 View Post
    haha, yeah i think he's the president. there's hardly a moment in a day where his blackberry isn't on his ear and he's not smashing away at the computer. i swear he's gonna stroke out one of these days.
    See, I can't live like that anymore. All the rush, rush, rush doesn't cut it for me. I value my health and I now live by the motto "leave the job at the job". I will NEVER understand how folks can live like their life is on the line if they miss a second of work.

white
    1997 dodge dakota

take the school job and molest kids

midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

So people here are telling you to take a job with a union negotiated contract.... Say what?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information