Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

New Gator Record

13 1/2 feet, 792 lbs. That's a lot of gator meat

U.S. Marine helps bag record alligator - GrindTV.com

White
    '10 ZR1

I've never had gator meat - but I'd love a gator wallet or pair of boots!

Navy Blue Metallic

Fried gator tail is damn good.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Is it normal to have that in 'regular' restuarants in LA, TX, GA, FL, etc, etc?

'89 Turbo Trans Am Pace Car (Mom's car now)

'68 Camaro - 572 coming soon

'67 Nova - 406 SBC, PG

'10 ZR1

Navy Blue Metallic

Not in any chain restaurants but almost every mom & pop place along the Gulf Coast from Houston to FL you'll see it and anywhere in LA & MS. Hell I ate some at 6 flags (ATL) and Orlando Universal.

Around here Fried Gator tail, Fried Catfish, Season & Boiled Crawfish/Shrimp, and Gumbo (all kinds) are like steaks to TX, Lobsters to Maine, and Crabs to Alaska.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Gator is good. I have been to restuarants that have it even in WI. You can buy it at sendiks grocery stores around here. And all the beef jerky markets have it as well.

Look at what small villages in the phillipines have to deal with. 21 ft long, over 2,000lbs.

World's largest crocodile captured in the Philippines by villagers | Daily Mail Online
    Last edited by Zinergy; 09-18-2014 at 01:21 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic

Gators (Alligator) are not Croc's (Crocodile) , common mistake. They are cousins or brother/sisters however you want to look at it.

Croc's grow much bigger than Alligators. Salt Water Croc's can grow much bigger than the one you posted. Kinda living dinosaurs.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Gators (Alligator) are not Croc's (Crocodile) , common mistake. They are cousins or brother/sisters however you want to look at it.

Croc's grow much bigger than Alligators. Salt Water Croc's can grow much bigger than the one you posted. Kinda living dinosaurs.
    I know this. Doesn't change the fact that a bunch of poor villagers captured a reptile over twice the weight. And then pulled it miles to the nearest road, and built a raft that they put it on to cross a river that was full of more crocs.

And I don't know how much bigger they get, but that is the largest CONFIRMED croc in the world.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 09-18-2014 at 01:34 PM.

blue
    1999 TransAm

gonna need a bigger "knife"

Navy Blue Metallic

I've heard stories from guys station over there that sometimes on jungle survival training, guys doing water crossings would just never make it across or come up.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Gator ribs > gator tail. Usually can't get ribs unless you catch the alligator yourself.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    Is it normal to have that in 'regular' restuarants in LA, TX, GA, FL, etc, etc?
    Yep very very common everywhere in LA, Southeast Texas, Lower Mississippi, central and southern FL and Lower Alabama, but not that common in GA.

Navy Blue Metallic

New Gator Record

Pat I've only had it battered & fried, how else is it cooked?
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Black / White

Pat I've only had it battered & fried, how else is it cooked?
    You can blacken gator tail and its pretty freaking good...I make gator parmesan all the time. Cook it the same way you do chicken. Fried is by far the most popular because the meat reacts really well to batter. We use it for kabobs too. Toss some andouille sausage, gator meat, onion, chicken, and shrimp on a stick and hit it with some slap ya mama. If you really want to step it up, you can dip the whole thing in batter and do a fried kabob...they are a-m-a-z-i-n-g but can result in a heart attack lol

Gator ribs are by far my favorite tho...you can cook them just like any other ribs. I do mine in an oiless fryer or on the grill.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I've had gator tail battered and fried. One of the many experiences I had while at Ft. Polk for AIT more than 40 years ago...

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I've had gator tail battered and fried. One of the many experiences I had while at Ft. Polk for AIT more than 40 years ago...
    Ft. Polk...I know all about that place. My dad went through Ft. Polk.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    You can blacken gator tail and its pretty freaking good...I make gator parmesan all the time. Cook it the same way you do chicken. Fried is by far the most popular because the meat reacts really well to batter. We use it for kabobs too. Toss some andouille sausage, gator meat, onion, chicken, and shrimp on a stick and hit it with some slap ya mama. If you really want to step it up, you can dip the whole thing in batter and do a fried kabob...they are a-m-a-z-i-n-g but can result in a heart attack lol

Gator ribs are by far my favorite tho...you can cook them just like any other ribs. I do mine in an oiless fryer or on the grill.
    All sound great.

I swear everything has "andouille sausage" in it around here. Don't get me wrong, I like it, it's just something that seems to be a main ingredient in all local food.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post

All sound great.

I swear everything has "andouille sausage" in it around here. Don't get me wrong, I like it, it's just something that seems to be a main ingredient in all local food.
    Don't take it for granted lol it's hard to get outside of the lower south...I couldn't find it anywhere when I lived north of Atlanta and I started to miss it.

red
    95 Z28

There's even a couple places in Colorado where you can get gator, or at least fried gator bites. I want to try it, but I can never get anyone I'm with to try it. I've heard it's fairly mild too, so I'm not sure why. Most anything you fry and then dip in something has a good chance of tasting good, although I still haven't had the nerve to try rocky mountain oysters.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    There's even a couple places in Colorado where you can get gator, or at least fried gator bites. I want to try it, but I can never get anyone I'm with to try it. I've heard it's fairly mild too, so I'm not sure why. Most anything you fry and then dip in something has a good chance of tasting good, although I still haven't had the nerve to try rocky mountain oysters.
    tastes like chicken......just order the chicken nuggets and call it good. There's a place about an hour from here that serves a ton of "exotic" type shit. I've ate the gator and rattle snack which are both pretty good....gator is a lot better IMO. They also sell caribou which my wife gets. Tried that......it's pretty good too but every time I go I get the buffalo. I'm a big fan of buffalo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information