Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Charger ?s

WS6 Rice Extermination MaxPlusTen's Avatar

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

New Charger ?s

Ok... so rather I like it or not one of these things is in my near future. The g/fs parents are helping her get a Daytona version. She wants to do some stuff to it to get it to run mid 13s so she can whoop ass on some Mustangs. (I tryed to get her into an f-body believe me, but hey, atleast its american muscle). Now from everything ive heard these cars are a pain in the ass to mod. Something about the tourque management system. Anyone have any experience with them or any useful advice you cant give me. She wants the yellow one and were going to get some black tt2s with a chrome lip for it... should give it a pretty nice stance but as far as go fast im lost. How do I make the 4000lbs pig crack a mid 13? My list so far includes drag radials, slp exhaust...and honestly thats all ive been able to find. School me boys...

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

It should be good for low 14s stock at close to 100mph. Same type of stuff applies for mods... K&N air filter, better exhaust headers, gearing/torque converter changes.... Drag radials for traction, lighter wheels... Anything to reduce weight.

Or she could just start shopping for an SRT8 version... That would solve the modding decisions or plunk down a deposit on a new Challenger.
    2002 Street ET Champion New England Dragway
    1999 Street ET Champion Oxford Dragway
    My Blog is here: http://www.downtime.com

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by tnthub View Post
    new Challenger.
    that car gives me a boner...

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

I think Chargers have that 4-6-8- thing ... Dont know if you can tune that out or not .. And the 'slap stick' or whater they call isnt great for out of hole either ..

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPlusTen View Post
    Ok... so rather I like it or not one of these things is in my near future. The g/fs parents are helping her get a Daytona version. She wants to do some stuff to it to get it to run mid 13s so she can whoop ass on some Mustangs. (I tryed to get her into an f-body believe me, but hey, atleast its american muscle). Now from everything ive heard these cars are a pain in the ass to mod. Something about the tourque management system. Anyone have any experience with them or any useful advice you cant give me. She wants the yellow one and were going to get some black tt2s with a chrome lip for it... should give it a pretty nice stance but as far as go fast im lost. How do I make the 4000lbs pig crack a mid 13? My list so far includes drag radials, slp exhaust...and honestly thats all ive been able to find. School me boys...
    That sounds cool that you're girlfriends into that stuff... Chargers look pretty cool to me

I'm glad my girlfriend isn't though... otherwise her honda would be riced out

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post
    I think Chargers have that 4-6-8- thing ... Dont know if you can tune that out or not .. And the 'slap stick' or whater they call isnt great for out of hole either ..
    the 5.7L's have the 8-4 cylinder deactivation, no idea if you can tune it out but i don't think it would hurt performance anyway because it only kicks in under a certain amount of throttle i.e. when cruise control is on

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

yep start off with the "super bee" if she likes the yellow. if not go for a 36-3800 stall from yank. that should shave off almost 1/2 a second. header tune? you should be there. try looking at what the hemi truck guys do.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by colesherman86 View Post
    the 5.7L's have the 8-4 cylinder deactivation, no idea if you can tune it out but i don't think it would hurt performance anyway because it only kicks in under a certain amount of throttle i.e. when cruise control is on
    I didnt know it had a switch to turn it off .. Good info ...

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Don't worry about the deactivation, it only turns on during cruising type conditions. Don't bother with slp's exhaust, there are better systems for them. Mopar action got a SRT8 magnum in the 12s here recently really easy. I say headers, magnaflow exhaust, air intake, tune, and tires and see where that gets ya

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

Quote Originally Posted by C&Cbird View Post
    Don't worry about the deactivation, it only turns on during cruising type conditions. Don't bother with slp's exhaust, there are better systems for them. Mopar action got a SRT8 magnum in the 12s here recently really easy. I say headers, magnaflow exhaust, air intake, tune, and tires and see where that gets ya
    that was probably the srt-8 which comes with 75+ horses stock.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

All the basic bolt-ons...the hemi is speed density so a tune is a must even with very light mods. Diablosport has their predator out for the hemi cars...for a handheld it's the best out there. Also DCX makes a shitty torque converter so def replace that POS.

As far as the MDS (cylinder deactivation) it can be tuned out so that it won't come on...I don't see why she'd want to though.

And remember that it'll have the lifetime powertrain warranty...they'll void it in a heartbeat if you jack with the internals or get caught with a tune. Bolt-ons will only void the part you replaced and anything it effects....like headers void the whole exhaust including cats, etc.

Yeah, That's right CaptainCaveMan's Avatar
    Mexican killed my car

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPlusTen View Post
    but hey, atleast its american muscle
    With an engine built in mexico

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 440 rwhp trans am View Post
    that was probably the srt-8 which comes with 75+ horses stock.
    to you, I know it was one, I said it was the SRT8.

I talked to my dad about the article and he said with a diablo tuner, cat back, air intake, tires and something else he couldn't remember, it ran low 12s. I was simply saying, with similar mods, the car should get them where they want it, and that was to kill mustangs.

I don't know why you would want to deactivate the MDS, it doesn't hurt performance and it might help mpg on the highway a bit.

WS6 Rice Extermination MaxPlusTen's Avatar

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

Thanks for the info guys, this is all good stuff. SRT8 and Superbee are out of the question... sounds like shes gonna be able to swing the Daytona though so well see what we can do. Sounds like ittl be a learning experience at any rate. As for me, im ready to get back into an LS1... this LT shit is getting old lol

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

wasnt the Camaro assembled in Canada? yea....

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Drag radials and a 100 shot should get it in the mid 13's pretty easy.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

primevil
    2000 FRC

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Hot rod mag just did an article on bolt-ons for a magnum. CAI, headers, cats, catback, tuned computer, torque converter, and a new mild cam. They picked up 60rwhp with that set up. Ran like a 13.67, Ill have to look at the article on my lunch break and make sure of the time.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

The cool thing about the 06+ hemi's is that there's no plug wires because they use the 6.1 coils. One less thing to replace during maintenance...there are 16 plugs though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information