Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

A New Additioin to the Family... What vehicle to get?

Well, my wife just gave me the news today!

So our dilemma is that both of our cars are 4-seaters (a Z28 and an Element). The Honda's gotta go, and we want to move into something that will accomodate our soon-to-be 5-person family. My wife expressed that practicality and passenger capacity were her top priorities ( ... women...).

Anyway, what high capacity vehicles have you guys owned or driven extensively that you really liked?

Another consideration is that we like to explore "the back woods" a few times a year, and we live in a 4 seasons area, so AWD/4WD would be a big selling point.

The absolute MINIMUM requirement is a 5 seater vehicle, which opens the door to a lot of options, but seating for 7 or more would be preferable.

Oh yeah... budget is about $15k.

And just to clarify... independent research is easy enough, which will be ongoing up until the day I buy the car. I'm hoping to get as much first hand feedback as possible, which is why I'm posting on the forum (and hopefully, people who share my passion can recomend somthing that is enjoyable to drive as well as meets the family's needs).
    Last edited by Naaman; 02-24-2011 at 02:41 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Nothing beats a Suburban for "high capacity". It is enormous inside and seats 7 very comfortably. Used I was able to pick it up for $25,500, so that's a bit over your budget. We love it for tripping.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

What about a tahoe?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

My wife currently drives a Durango. Seats 7. Has plenty of power to haul my toys around. Quite safe to drive with AWD/4WD. Not really had any major problems with it. The only complaint is the gas mileage. She averages around 15 mph in the city and maybe 20 on freeway. Tow something and it drops.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

My daily beater is a Durango. No real problems ever except for a mystery no start condition a few years ago that I never figured out. Gas mileage is horrible.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

I'd recommend this, but let me tell you, mines has been an absolute piece of garbage reliability wise, I'd NEVER buy another GM truck to daily drive. But hey man, I seem to be the only person on the planet to have any issues out of them and if you're one of those GM faithful type people and really trust these things until the end, I think this would work for you. But, I wouldn't be surprised if you get some serious issues out of it though.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Transamws6 View Post
    I'd recommend this, but let me tell you, mines has been an absolute piece of garbage reliability wise, I'd NEVER buy another GM truck to daily drive. But hey man, I seem to be the only person on the planet to have any issues out of them and if you're one of those GM faithful type people and really trust these things until the end, I think this would work for you. But, I wouldn't be surprised if you get some serious issues out of it though.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
    Don't be mad you got a lemon lol!!

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

used nissan murano

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

The Mercury Mountaineer (RIP) actually has 3rd row seating (as an option), however, you're on par fuel-milage wise with the bigger Durango.

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Jump seats in the bed of a megacab Dodge?

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    Don't be mad you got a lemon lol!!
    I'd agree. I've had a GM truck as a daily driver for over 15+ years - and haven't had any major mechanical problems.

Within any of the 'big three', you're going to have some lemons. That's the way it is, but it's certainly not the norm with any of them.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    I'd agree. I've had a GM truck as a daily driver for over 15+ years - and haven't had any major mechanical problems.

Within any of the 'big three', you're going to have some lemons. That's the way it is, but it's certainly not the norm with any of them.
    That's why they have lemon laws!!

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Which can be a joke and a hassle all at the same time. Some of the stipulations to fall into the lemon law category are about impossible to acheive. I'd imagine the total amount of 'lemons' bought back to be very few.

Another option..

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post

I wish I had such luck.

I'll try my luck with Ford or Dodge the next time I need another gasser, never another Chevy truck, ever. I would never recommend one to anybody. This is the second piece of shit Chevy truck that's been in my family and it will be the last.

Don't get me wrong though, they're badass trucks when working properly, mines is great now that I've got the LQ9 but it's ridiculous that it needed a brand new motor at 122k miles. Especially because it's been well taken care of throughout it's life. Garaged since day one, regularly maintained etc.

The trucks themselves seem to hold up pretty well I suppose. But for us, in both my truck and our old '96 5.7 Tahoe that was traded in for this, it's been the motors/transmissions that have been giving us most of the problems for some reason.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

I can't remember who it was on here, but they just sold there burb with 250k on the clock for like 2 grand last week and still a ticking.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by Transamws6 View Post
    I wish I had such luck.

I'll try my luck with Ford or Dodge the next time I need another gasser, never another Chevy truck, ever. I would never recommend one to anybody. This is the second piece of shit Chevy truck that's been in my family and it will be the last.

Don't get me wrong though, they're badass trucks when working properly, mines is great now that I've got the LQ9 but it's ridiculous that it needed a brand new motor at 122k miles. Especially because it's been well taken care of throughout it's life. Garaged since day one, regularly maintained etc.

The trucks themselves seem to hold up pretty well I suppose. But for us, in both my truck and our old '96 5.7 Tahoe that was traded in for this, it's been the motors/transmissions that have been giving us most of the problems for some reason.
    It's hard to say - bad luck is the most likely. That happens too. But, I certainly don't blame you for wanting to try something else.

For me, I'm just pretty hardcore. I don't really bash the others(don't go thread searching either) , but I'll always be a Chevy guy. It's just how it is.

I'm definitely surprised and taken back that the issues are mainly engine/transmission related - espeically if it's been more than once.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    I can't remember who it was on here, but they just sold there burb with 250k on the clock for like 2 grand last week and still a ticking.
    That would be Knightryda

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

like 1 member said, nissan murano,
    or i would get a jeep grand cherokee.
    im on the same situation, i think ill be buying a jeep..
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

'05 Harley - 21k m
    '98 Z28 black - 69k mi

I was in similar situation way back in 1997, needed room to haul my triplets.
    Ordered this new white 4x4 Tahoe in May 1997, been an excellent vehical.
    Has 137,000.0 on it now, gets 19mpg highway

Last edited by LimeNine; 02-24-2011 at 03:50 AM.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    My daily beater is a Durango. No real problems ever except for a mystery no start condition a few years ago that I never figured out. Gas mileage is horrible.
    My bf's Durango did that, turned out to be the crank angle sensor and then the PCM went after that was replaced.

As for his Durango, its a 2002, in the back will fit 4 teenage girls and smaller girls with their 2 car seats comfortably, plus the driver and passenger. Will tow a heavy trailer and mustang, does great on ice with the AWD/4x4 but it has the biggest durango motor, 360 i think and drinks gas. He bought his for $5000. Been kind of nice. Never had a family type thing before always sports cars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information