Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Never deal with spec!!!!

They have the worst customer service next to paypal.
    First I ordered a Clutch almost 2 weeks ago and finally got it two days ago.
    Yesterday I dropped it off at the shop for install and this morning I went to pick it up. I came and watched them finish the install.
    When I got it back (well looking over the car) it was impossible to drive, the vibrations was way too ruff and even at idle the clutch pedal was vibrating very hard.
    At first I was a little worried that it was installed wrong and maybe the flywheel might of been off, so they took it apart double checked everything and found that the flex-plate was defective.
    After calling back and fourth with Spec (they couldn't decide who they wanted to talk to) and saying it was impossible that they check and balance everything before shipping out. (they were wrong, damn assholes).
    Now they want me to ship them back their stuff along with my flywheel, which I need to pay for shipping then it will take them 3 days to "examine" it then another 2 days for them to ship it to me.
    After calling back later on asking about a return policy they say it is impossible to do as soon as it the car got cranked.
    So after wasting 2 weeks waiting for the clutch now I have to wait another 1 for BS. On top of that they do not want to give a refund.
    This is the first and last time I am going to deal with them.

Cliff Notes
    1st. It took them 2 weeks to ship it out
    2nd. They lied about examining parts (everything they have is perfect)
    3rd. They won't take returns on whatever is defect.
    Last edited by JwMonE99; 05-12-2009 at 12:13 PM.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

That's horrible! About 4 years ago there were a few bad eggs that got posted up and I figured by now they would have it down pact

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

IDK I am hoping a lot of guys respond to this and and please post up horror stories. Then I will ask an admin to delete this very particular post and then sending a link to spec so they can read all of their company problems. So feel free to whore this thread around.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Buddy of mine put a spec 3 on his Lt1 Z28 in 2005. He broke it in, then about 4 months later, had to replace the whole thing.

Funny thing is, I bought one like 2 months before him, and absolutely loved it. Never had a problem, figured out how to slip it. Didn't chatter much either.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Their clutches are very hit or miss.

Neither of mine have been a problem...at least from their end. I messed up the SPEC 5 on my own.
    Been beating on my SPEC 4 for 3+ years now.

And paypal can't have worse customer service than SLP....

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Spec 3 here. No problems.... yet. I swear to go if my clutch goes this year I will park my TA and come back in a few years to re-unite.

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

spec 2 that was in mine was garbage in 2 months. Pulled it and went textrilla

Black
    99 SS

i feel the same way

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

i hear way more horror stories then good experiences with spec. I'd never put one in my car, its exactly what you said, you run into any kind of issue on their hit or miss stuff and they shove it up your ass. I prefer Ram powergrips. Hold up to 600 horses and work great

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Agreed. I wont be putting aSpec back in. So many bad stories. Textrilla probably next time.

Hopefully in 2 years

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

(cough)(cough) Mcleod twin disk clutches only!!!!

sorry to of the issues you are having... However how do you know the install was perfect? How do they know the flywheel is defective? what did they use to check the balance. Secondly why are you using a flexplate.. flexplate are for autos, and do flex, a flywheel does not...

I have seen many situations where (so called experienced or proffesional) clutch installers jack up a car bad...

-loose bolts on the flywheel
    -loose bolts on a pressure plate
    -not fastened to torque specs
    -locktite or safety wire not used, bolts back out
    -not fastened down in an adjacent star pattern
    -top bolt on bellhousing (not tight, trans is sagging) tough bolt to hit, but no excuse.
    -screwed with pinion angles (no need too, but still do)

Yes spec has had their issues, however I have seen more piss poor installs then I have seen bad spec clutches, 10 to 1.... I dont even run or like spec brand.
    Last edited by ibanez7; 05-12-2009 at 01:54 PM.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

I put a brand new Stage 2 in a fairly stock LT1 a couple years back. The fucker was chattering as I was easing it of the lift.
    Go McLeod Textralia or GM clutches fuck Spec, Centerforce, Zoom haven't decided on Rams yet. My experience at work has been 50/50 on those

I only use McLeod, they never failed me. Plus you can order them from summit, if in stock its on my deck the next morning.

Red
    1999 Camaro SS

not a horror story, but after reading some user experiences with Spec, I decided against them and ordered a GM LS7 Clutch kit from KYspeed ( delivered within a week)

Pedal feel is near stock, doesn't chatter at all, very smooth engagement. and the sumbitch grabs like all hell (easy tire chirping in 3rd and 4th gear with a very light bolt on car.)

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Poppn View Post
    not a horror story, but after reading some user experiences with Spec, I decided against them and ordered a GM LS7 Clutch kit from KYspeed ( delivered within a week)

Pedal feel is near stock, doesn't chatter at all, very smooth engagement. and the sumbitch grabs like all hell (easy tire chirping in 3rd and 4th gear with a very light bolt on car.)
    I would have that dead after 2 launches.

My SPEC 4 has 60 launches on Hoosier QTP's.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I have a feeling with my new Moser 9"... I stand a better chance of blowing a clutch. Please no.

She makes me Retarded!

Black
    2007 ZO6

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    so they took it apart double checked everything and found that the flex-plate was defective.
    There's the problem.. They used a flex-plate instead of a flywheel.

I had a problem with popping the spring windows on my SPEC 2. Called them up, they replaced it and upgraded it to a SPEC 3 for $50.00. Awesome customer service. Haven't had a problem with the stage 3 and it's been about 3 years now.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I put a brand new Stage 2 in a fairly stock LT1 a couple years back. The fucker was chattering as I was easing it of the lift.
    Go McLeod Textralia or GM clutches fuck Spec, Centerforce, Zoom haven't decided on Rams yet. My experience at work has been 50/50 on those
    The ram billet flywheel I have was great to look at prior to install Yeah though, I try to be easy with that clutch because it seems to be plenty strong enough to totally destroy my T5 even driving like a normal person lol No chatter, reasonable clutch pedal etc.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Its only my opinion but I even think to a point that centerforce is overrated. They dont really seem to hold the power in big power applications. I wouldnt use one in ANY kind of LSX h/c, stroker, or blown or all three applications, I'll leave it at that. I recall hearing the window with those is like 450 horses, which yeah thats pretty stout but some of you guys are making way more then that

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    The ram billet flywheel I have was great to look at prior to install Yeah though, I try to be easy with that clutch because it seems to be plenty strong enough to totally destroy my T5 even driving like a normal person lol No chatter, reasonable clutch pedal etc.
    T5s break?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information