Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

need your opinion on college degree

Here's my situation, im 28 yrs old, never been to college- i was having too much fun after graduation and decided to "take a year off" and head to college. Yeah that didnt work, i was making $500/week clear only working 25 hrs a week, my own keys to the bar for parties, free food and apartment, etc. ( working for my g/f's mom's bar /lounge) Tried real estate, couldnt wait on commission to come through so ditched that. Im working at a job now where i sell 4x4 lift kits for jeeps and trucks and its the easiest job ive ever had by far, VERY laid back and i fart around on the web all day long. However, (#1) no benefits whatsoever (# 2) i drive 140 miles round trip Mon-Fri (#3) i cant move up anymore and i dont make all that much money anyways (~$30,000/yr) and ive been here over 7 years

-- Stay with me here. My wife is a full time LPN but also goes to school full time for her RN and is at $40K right now. We have a 3 yr old son to raise so when he's not in daycare one of us has to be there to watch him. My question is, im the kind of person that wants to better myself as well as my family and im thinking getting some sort of degree may be my only hope of landing a better job. Only thing is due to our schedules and how far i drive to work, im limited to online degree programs. Ive always wanted to get into law enforcement but i know they dont pay shit but thats what i keep leaning towards (criminal investigator or working as K9 cop). The county we live in is one of the highest rates of unemployment in the state keep in mind so there are hardly any jobs available. There are some larger cities relatively closeby however. Here are my online degree options: Criminal Justice, Marketing, Small business management, Fine Arts. I know you dont know me personally but do you have any opinions? Money isnt the biggest issue but id like to get something under my belt
    Last edited by whitelightnin99; 08-16-2007 at 01:49 PM.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Go for it you can never stop learning. A lot of online stuff out there now so its not quite as hard to do + you can do it in your time frame when you want to do it. A lot of guys at work are getting their BA's online. Most of us have our Associates degree but they are taking it up a notch and getting into other fields as well. I make great money now but if I lose my job, I am screwed especially in my field. Good luck!!

and this online program is not one of those out of state deals, its through a school thats about 30 miles from me so i know its legit

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by whitelightnin99 View Post
    and this online program is not one of those out of state deals, its through a school thats about 30 miles from me so i know its legit
    Most onlines are legit, Never too late to go to school or to better yourself. My grandma went back to college for 4 years when she was 62 years old to become a drug and alcohol councelor.

im thinking ill go ahead with the Criminal Justice degree since the others dont interest me any at all. Even if i dont go into the law enforcement field, it still couldnt hurt in landing a better job somewhere and ive always wanted to be a K-9 handler or some sort of investigator.

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    Most onlines are legit, Never too late to go to school or to better yourself. My grandma went back to college for 4 years when she was 62 years old to become a drug and alcohol councelor.
    wow thats very respectable to go back at her age, thanks for your replies BTW, motivates me even more

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Thats why I joined the Military after high school, I didn't know what I wanted to do. I always enjoyed working on cars so Airplanes and Helicopters were my next choice when I joined the army. Now thats My job still, I am a lead Mechanic at Frontier Airlines in Denver and Love it. I get to run up 2 25,000 lbs of thrust engines at full power and taxi around the airport. Still turnin wrenches after 17 years in the industry. Cool job But like I said It's real Volitile and If I lose my job It will take a while to get back where I am Now.

i came real close to signing up for the Marines, all my buddies went but i changed my mind at the last minute. Ive never figured out exactly what i want to do, just hoped something would fall in place i guess.

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

I think If I had a choice criminal justice floats my boat. I would love to work K-9 or be a CSI or something along those lines!!

pie
    free

Figure out what you want to study first for sure. I've known quite a few people who went to school while holding a full time job and having a family. Takes a lot of work but pays off in the end.

Good luck.

well i still dont exactly know what i want to do and 80% of the entire course is online so it shouldnt be too bad considering im online here at work ALL day long. They would have no problems with me doing my school work

pie
    free

Quote Originally Posted by whitelightnin99 View Post
    well i still dont exactly know what i want to do and 80% of the entire course is online so it shouldnt be too bad considering im online here at work ALL day long. They would have no problems with me doing my school work
    Sounds like you've got a good opportunity then.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

My mom went back to school @ 40 and got her bachelors degree in accounting, worked at the place that she did her internship for a year then quit there for a job at 3$ an hour more.

Do it, i'm sure you wont regret it.

I am less than 10 days away from doing it. I am 27 going to a University for the first time (UF). I have my AA degree in Fine Arts and I am going to school for acting. I want to change it, but it seems impossible at a transfer level. Seriously, I cant believe how hard this has been. I want to do Kinesiology since I am a trainer, but I can only take some classes, unless a councelor can help me.

I am enrolled, I have books, and a $700 rent now. Its going to be my first time out of mommys house and 3 hours away. I have no marriage and no kids...so really I am bound by nothing.

And I am scared shitless.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Definately do it man, its worth it

Maple Red Metalic
    2000 Trans Am

Go back to school. I just finished my BS online from Park University. Goto park.edu and take a look many people who work for the military are going to school.
    http://www.donet.com/~pamela/ls1Img_2686.jpg

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Business degree

And quit "farting around!" .....Time to start getting that hay in the barn.

Wants to be Snowboarding FuhBreezeE's Avatar

Stg IV a4
    '99 TA Ws777

Working for the Gov't is great! Benefits and holidays, the pay may not what we want, but you'd have all sorts of time to spend with your children and you'd feel comfortable knowing they have benefits.

thanks so much guys for the replies, im still wondering which course would be better but one of my buddies went for 4 yrs. , got his business degree and is working as a bank teller only making $25000/yr!! Marketing i dont know much about and fine arts, not me. Im going to give it a shot, cant do anything but help in the long run

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

Go for the criminal justice! I would love to be a cop and chase down ass holes like me driving f-bodys 100+ down the highway...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information