Liquid Red
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT

Need some help with something...

So, I'm filing a claim against my city for some damage done to my car. In this claim, I have to write a letter describing what happened, etc. I just want to know what format I should use to make it look professional. Where should my name and address, etc be on there.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

For some reason the long-ass picture of someones letters back and forth containing a spider come to mind.

Liquid Red
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT

Lol, that would be great if they were trying to get money from me, but it's vice versa!

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Your name and address should be at the bottom after regards or sincerely. At the top, before the body of your letter, you should have the city's official name and under that state 'Attn.', followed by the departments name or person you're directing the letter to, followed by their address. All of this should be left justified. You could also have your name and address at the top center. Here's an example.

Liquid Red
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT

Thanks Siggy, that should help!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Did you get an appraisal?

Liquid Red
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT

Three estimates.

1) $1164
    2) $1209
    3) $1300

I work for a dealership so I'll get it done for cheaper and put some money in my pocket.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

What was the damage done to your car?

Liquid Red
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT

Damage was done to the right fender and right front door. It was from a very poorly placed stake in the shape of a cross. It was put in my driveway approach because they are re paving my street. The stake was too short to see in my mirrors and was placed about four feet into my driveway.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Write up what happened and if you have pics, use them to your advantage. The town SHOULD reimburse you. Hopefully it isn't one of those "NOT OUR FAULT" towns.

Liquid Red
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT

Yeah, I had to write my report, submit at least 2 estimates and pictures if I had them. Luckily I took several pics within 5 minutes of the incident of both my car and my driveway. The fucked up part is that the work was sub-contracted to another firm. I basically have to submit my claim to the city (which has to get approved by the common council, who's meeting I can attend since it's open to the public) and they have to go into subrogation with the sub-contractors insurance company. My dad is also friends with the Mayor of my city and talked to a couple of people over the last couple days and tried to pull some strings for me. It also turns out that my friends mom is the receptionist for the city (who's desk it has to cross.) Hopefully everything gets worked out. I've never had to pull strings like this so we'll see what happens!

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Ah. The "trickle-down" effect, I gather? Let us know what happens. If that company doesn't want negative publicity and future work from the town, the will make things right.

Liquid Red
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT

It turns out my dad had a retirement party to go to last night for thr chief of police department and some higher up people from the city were there and he talked to one of the guys who saw the claim. Let's just hope it works out!

Oh, and yes, I will give them plenty of bad publicity. You'd be amazed at how much google reviews helps or hurts a business.
    Last edited by Red97GTP; 07-10-2011 at 05:23 PM.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

unless you get lucky you won't get anything out of it. the city is not responsible for damage to vehicles in the right of way. as it is in the apron of your driveway approach you may have a better chance. if you want to get something out of it you should go to the committee meeting where they will talk about it and plead your case there. likely they will deny the claim to shorten the statute of limitations at which point you will be dealing with the city's insurance company adjuster directly.

Liquid Red
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT

I already plan on going to the meeting, it's on the 19th. And it's not the city's insurance company, it's the city that pays for it and they go after the sub-contractors insurance company. It's called subrogation.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

the city has an insurance provider for incidents. when you sue the city for damages to the vehicle you are demanding that the city pay those damages or face a lawsuit. the city itself will not pay those damages...they have insurance. so you are actually demanding that the city's insurance company pay you damages. just like you the city pays in to an insurance provider for incidents and when the city's insurance adjuster finds in favor of the prosecutor (you) the insurance provider pays out on that claim.

Liquid Red
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT

I'm just going by what they said at City Hall. It has to get approved by the common council, not an insurance company or adjuster.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

you are correct. the city council must approve it. here's what happens.

first...you file your claim against the city.

that claim goes before a city council alderman committee...probably property and finance or something like that. the city's insurance provider will make a recommendation to the committee for denial of the claim.

the decision of denial or approval of the claim will go from the committee to the full city council. if the committee and then the council approves your claim request you will be paid. the vast majority of the time the committee and the city deny the claim based upon the recommendation of the insurance company.

so realistically you will end up going to two meetings. one at the committee level and another at the full council level.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

you see...the city is only liable in the eyes of their insurance provider if the city had knowledge and knew that the potential for damage existed. so let's just say that the city knew that the piece of metal was sticking out of your driveway apron and did nothing about it. they would be liable for the damages to your car. however...if the city did not know about the piece of metal they are not liable. if the city knew about the piece of metal and had not yet gotten around to fixing it within a certain given time-frame...i can't recall what that is offhand...they are still not liable for damages.

this is who provides insurance and legal council to my city. milwaukee is also listed among those cities who get services from this entity.

http://www.lwm-info.org/

Thread Information