Black
    2001 WS6

Need some advice...

About 5 years ago, my old trans am had about 140,000 miles on it. My dad made me an offer that if I sold it, him and I would go halfers on another car. So I sold it, and the money I got from it we went halfers on a 2002 corvette. Nearly two years ago, he passed away. The corvette was too much money for me to take care of. So I bought an suv and took out a loan. Gas went up to $5 so I sold the suv and got a 6 speed t/a. When my father passed, for insurance reasons, and for the loan, my mom got on the title. It's a two part title, so one couldnt sell it without the other. So present day, the corvette just sits in the garage. Maybe driven around the block or out on the road once a month, if that. I'll be moving out of my house soon, and I'd like to trade it in, to pay off the debt I owe on it, and buy an suv. My mom wont have it saying that it's her car. She never drives it, never takes any interest in it, and the only contact she has with it , is when her car door hits it in the garage. She can't even take care of her own car. She has a 2009 sky turbo, and in 15,000 miles, she's had 1 oil change...so there's some background on how well she takes care of her car.
    So her and I got into it tonight, she knows how excited i would be to get the suv im looking at. I know there's some sentimental value behind keeping that corvette, but its uneconomical. It's never driven, yet she is paying for the insurance and registration on it. It needs a new headlight gear, rear hatch struts, but she can't be bothered. I'd like to sell it or trade it in while its in good condition, but i feel like im stuck. What can I do?

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

Since your mom is on the title too, she has just as much say in the decision as you.

You'll have to work it out with her.

And honestly, in the end it's only a car and not worth screwing up your family relationship over.

Make your mom buy you out if she wants to keep the car.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Nothing you can do but work it out, both names are on the title and you can't change that without her signature.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

The People's Court!

But yeah that sucks. If she's set on keeping it, you're screwed. Like they have already said, you'll either have to deal with it or possibly cause a rift with her...

Silver
    2005 Toyota Corolla (DD)

it sounds like she wants to keep it for sentimental reasons, so buying her out and selling it isn't an option. I'd ask her to buy your half out. It seems pretty reasonable to me.

Or, since it's "half" yours as you said, why not start driving it yourself?

Black
    2001 WS6

My mother and I'd relationship hasn't been good since my dad died. She's a completely different person now, and completely opposite from me. I could go on for hours how she causes rifts but I'm on my phone responding. I don't wanna start driving the vette because the bird is less to run and maintain. Its also cheaper insurance wise by about $300 every 6 months

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I guess it is difficult for me to relate to these types of stories. I have been on my own since 16 years old.
    My recommendation is go out on your own 100%. Earn your own money. Buy your own stuff with your own money. Live off yourself 100%.
    Parents do not owe their kids anything.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Nhra Firebird View Post
    Make your mom buy you out if she wants to keep the car.
    this

+

this

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I guess it is difficult for me to relate to these types of stories. I have been on my own since 16 years old.
    My recommendation is go out on your own 100%. Earn your own money. Buy your own stuff with your own money. Live off yourself 100%.
    is my solution.

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

Your answer is logical and caring.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I agree. Nothing feels better than cutting the ties 100%. The day after graduation I moved out, never got a dime from the parents since or ever asked for anything.

It's amazing how many kids now days still suck from the tit.

Just move on.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Light a match, split the cash...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

How old are you? I moved out with my girlfriend now wife at 18. Yeah my ma helped me a lil bit but once i got out on my own it was a whole new life. Its funny my inlaws still pay for their twin brothers cars, insurance, food blah blah blah

My brother-in-law and his wife are the biggest pieces of shit I know. When they got married his grandma bought them a house. The past 2 years they didn't have enough money to pay the taxes, so she payed the taxes for them. A few months ago he texted my wife asking if he could borrow money to pay his car payment. They both have jobs so I don't understand how they never have any money. BTW they're both 32 years old

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Jesus

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Nhra Firebird View Post
    My brother-in-law and his wife are the biggest pieces of shit I know. When they got married his grandma bought them a house. The past 2 years they didn't have enough money to pay the taxes, so she payed the taxes for them. A few months ago he texted my wife asking if he could borrow money to pay his car payment. They both have jobs so I don't understand how they never have any money. BTW they're both 32 years old
    I have family and friends like this... Never have money for the bills but always have money for beer.... Some of them are pushing their late 40's early 50's and still talk about getting clean before the next piss test @ their work..

Looking back when I was a kid, these same people acted like they were some "high rollers" then I grew up and realized they're just low lifes..
    Always have excusses, but never have their shit together..

I get less bullshit from strangers.........
    Last edited by Smittro; 01-03-2011 at 11:27 AM.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Some people won't ever change for anyone no matter what you do. Best to just move on before they drag you down with them.

Thread Information