Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Need a new car. Suggestions?

My current daily driver is a 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS crap-o-matic with 243,000 miles on it. The thing is literally about to fall apart. I'm starting a new job next week and should be making really good money. I have had the car since high-school and it's time for something that doesnt break down on my on a monthly basis. My fiance wants me to get something with 4 doors and more space but I want something that is still sporty. I would really prefer RWD or AWD. I also would prefer a manual. So, I've been looking at some options and here's what I have so far:

-Chevy Trailblazer SS - has the LS2, awesome SUV, but terrible on the gas mileage
    -Audi A4 2.0T - fun sedan that I can get in a manual
    -Audi S4 - twin turbo V6, really cool car, downside is that they're kind of hard to find
    -Pontiac Grand Prix GXP - has the LS4, looks like a fun car, but it's only a 4speed automatic and it's front wheel drive, which I dont want
    -Chevy Silverado Z71 - excellent pick up, good towing, but has bad gas mileage just like the Trailblazer
    -Chevy Tahoe Z71 - cool SUV, good towing like the Silverado, bad gas mileage like the other two Chevys
    -Pontiac G8 GT or GXP - really love this car and would choose it hands down, but the GXP is out of my price range and I dont really know about the GT at all. I just wish there was some way I could afford the GXP
    -BMW M5 - early 2000's model, comes only in a 6speed manual, just a cool car, but again terrible gas mileage
    -Mercedes E55 AMG - same as the M5 except for the transmission
    -Nissan Altima SE-R - really cool car for a 4 door Nissan, came in 6 speed manual or 6speed auto, only made in 2005, but it's front wheel drive
    -Ford Taurus SHO - whould be cool, but it's too expensive
    -Subaru STi - fun import, AWD, turbo, but it's a little small, and I dont know much about how the boxer style engines are
    -Mitsubishi EVO - same as the STi, a little uglier

So those are all the ideas that I've come up with so far. Like I said up there, I would buy the G8 GXP in a heartbeat but it's just out of my price range. I like the Grand Prix GXP, but it's FWD so I dont know what to think of it. Are there any other suggestions that anyone has? Has anyone owned one of these and would or would not recommend it? Just let me know your thoughts.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Colorado v8 zq8 cheapish, around 4k pounds for a crew
    cab, 5.3 and 22 mpg. They handle nicely with the zq8 suspension

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    Colorado v8 zq8 cheapish, around 4k pounds for a crew
    cab, 5.3 and 22 mpg. They handle nicely with the zq8 suspension
    The Colorado is a little small for what I want. I was looking at that but if I get a truck, I want a full size for going off road. My family has a lot of land out in the middle of nowhere so if I went with a truck, I would have to get a TRUCK.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Well, I reckon a z71 v8 colly would go anywhere a silverado wouldn't, but I understand your need for a fullsize.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

I vote the Chevy Tahoe Z71 or Silverado Z71. Even though they'll probably give you stupid problems here and there, they are great for the most part. Especially since you want a full size truck for going off road.

Would you consider an FJ? Or maybe a 4 door Jeep Wrangler?

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

Well, I reckon a z71 v8 colly would go anywhere a silverado wouldn't, but I understand your need for a fullsize.
    Yea. My dad is going to get a covered trailer and I need something that will tow it. The Colorado would not be able to tow something like that. It's just too small and too light.
    Quote Originally Posted by Transamws6 View Post
    I vote the Chevy Tahoe Z71 or Silverado Z71. Even though they'll probably give you stupid problems here and there, they are great for the most part. Especially since you want a full size truck for going off road.

Would you consider an FJ? Or maybe a 4 door Jeep Wrangler?
    Have you had any problems with your Z71? I'm kinda leaning more towards the Tahoe out of the two because I like the enclosed space. Plus, they come in the Bermuda Blue Metallic color which looks like pure sex on wheels imo.

I like how the FJ cruiser looks, but my fiancee doesnt really like them, lol. And I dont really care for Jeeps.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

The gmt900's are far better than the old trucks, especially if you pick one with the 6l80. I wouldn't worry

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

The gmt900's are far better than the old trucks, especially if you pick one with the 6l80. I wouldn't worry
    What???

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by KnightmareWS6 View Post
    Yea. My dad is going to get a covered trailer and I need something that will tow it. The Colorado would not be able to tow something like that. It's just too small and too light.

Have you had any problems with your Z71? I'm kinda leaning more towards the Tahoe out of the two because I like the enclosed space. Plus, they come in the Bermuda Blue Metallic color which looks like pure sex on wheels imo.

I like how the FJ cruiser looks, but my fiancee doesnt really like them, lol. And I dont really care for Jeeps.
    Have I had any problems out of my Z71? Yes, yes and yes

The truck has an array of weird electrical problems i've been battling with since i've owned it, speedo went complete ape shit on me around 110k (happens to all of the trucks of it's gen), and it is going in the shop Thursday for a diagnosis, it's leaking some stuff. I also get blue smoke on initial start-up sometimes, not as bad as it was because i did a real tune-up on it about a month ago. The motor stuff could have been prevented if the previous owners cared for the truck, which they really did not.

But other than that it's pretty awesome. I can't really complain about it other than it's electric issues and mpg's. It's comfortable, versatile, and looks great IMO. Especially when clean, i get complimented almost all the time after I detail it and take it out to the mall or something. You won't regret getting a Z71 Tahoe i'm sure, just watch out for the little quirks that come with them, not many at all. They are great trucks.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

What???
    '07+. The 99-06 trucks were generally junk in some aspects. Ours was for sure

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

Quote Originally Posted by Transamws6 View Post
    Have I had any problems out of my Z71? Yes, yes and yes

The truck has an array of weird electrical problems i've been battling with since i've owned it, speedo went complete ape shit on me around 110k (happens to all of the trucks of it's gen), and it is going in the shop Thursday for a diagnosis, it's leaking some stuff. I also get blue smoke on initial start-up sometimes, not as bad as it was because i did a real tune-up on it about a month ago. The motor stuff could have been prevented if the previous owners cared for the truck, which they really did not.

But other than that it's pretty awesome. I can't really complain about it other than it's electric issues and mpg's. It's comfortable, versatile, and looks great IMO. Especially when clean, i get complimented almost all the time after I detail it and take it out to the mall or something. You won't regret getting a Z71 Tahoe i'm sure, just watch out for the little quirks that come with them, not many at all. They are great trucks.
    Well, any car is going to have those little quirks. How bad is the gas mileage. I know they are rated at like 14 or so. Have you seen any better?
    '07+. The 99-06 trucks were generally junk in some aspects. Ours was for sure
    What aspects? I like the body style of the 99-06 better than the '07+. Plus, they're more in my price range.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

steering for us, electrical, interior everything. 4l60e is self explanatory. I like the older trucks better too, but the new ones are alot nicer

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

Ok. Anyone have any other ideas?

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

If it's going to be your primary vehicle, I'd avoid a V8.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I fear $4 gas isn't too far away again.

I hope I'm wrong, but this oil spill is too good a "crisis" to let go.

As far as Subies, search for head gasket problems. Apparently all too common. I was thinking of getting one until I researched them.

EVOs, watch for abused transmissions. Grinding between gears = move along.

For good gas mileage and fun to drive, look at a Mazda3 5 door. I know it's FWD but they are a hoot to drive. Maybe too small though.

BMWs, check on parts prices. Used ones are going to need parts. My buddy's X5 needed a $1200 alternator. Water cooled and dollar fueled.

Audis, see above.

Giving an idea of your budget and needs/goals would open up a lot more suggestions. Your list has a wide variety of different vehicle types.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

audi
    volvo
    or
    cts

those are excellent daily drivers. stay away from Trailblazers, and colorados. crap breaks down on them and wears out fast.

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

Quote Originally Posted by CJREX View Post
    If it's going to be your primary vehicle, I'd avoid a V8.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I fear $4 gas isn't too far away again.

I hope I'm wrong, but this oil spill is too good a "crisis" to let go.

As far as Subies, search for head gasket problems. Apparently all too common. I was thinking of getting one until I researched them.

EVOs, watch for abused transmissions. Grinding between gears = move along.

For good gas mileage and fun to drive, look at a Mazda3 5 door. I know it's FWD but they are a hoot to drive. Maybe too small though.

BMWs, check on parts prices. Used ones are going to need parts. My buddy's X5 needed a $1200 alternator. Water cooled and dollar fueled.

Audis, see above.

Giving an idea of your budget and needs/goals would open up a lot more suggestions. Your list has a wide variety of different vehicle types.
    Well, I'm a college student right now. Going into my first senior year, lol. I just got a job at Dominoes and have a few friends that work there. They have both told me that their tips dont go any lower than $50-$60 a shift and go well over $100 on the weekend shifts. I did some math and figured that I would be making around $28k a year with very cheap bills to pay. The way I figured my price range with what I can save up and what I would have to finance, I dont really want to go over $15k. $20k would be my ultimate limit if the car is absolutely perfect and has everything that I am looking for.

And since it's going to be a daily driver and a car that would be on the road for my job as well, I kinda want it to have good gas mileage. But, Dominoes does pay mileage so that could lessen the mpg issues depending on everything else because I really do want something sporty.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Ok. Anyone have any other ideas?
    Germany.

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Germany.
    Lol, ok. Used Audi, used BMW, or used Mercedes?

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

G8 ftw

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    G8 ftw
    Seriously. But it's way out of my price range......

I am open for donations though........... ???? Anyone???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information