Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need A Name

Candy Blue
    2000 Camaro SS

Need A Name

I need a name for a repair shop.... the shop will be mine in Northern CA. It'll do complete auto repair, Gasoline diesel and hybrid... but I'm having trouble figuring out a name.... It won't be a high performance shop, that'll come later once the funds are there... the HP shop will be a completely different shop all together... but next door... Thanks in advance for the help...

2000 Camaro SS, M6, Edelbrock LT's, Eibach Pro-Kit, Edelbrock Adjustable Coil-Overs
    1986 Camaro Iroc LS1 Swap In Progress

Blue Magic...
    Like Pepsi It's A Brand Name...

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Depends on what clientel you are seeking. If you will be specializing in anything like F-bodies etc, I would target a name like that.

If its just general auto repair, maybe something that targets the masses.

Locale also is a determining factor. If there is something that the locals can relate to like a mountain, famous person or something, try that.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i don't have anything off the top of my head, but steer away from gimmicky names like "Quality Auto" or "Dependable" you get the point-people are so oversaturated with that bs and after some years of doing business well, people will attribute your name to a quality reputation.

Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

Blue Magic Auto Repairs?

Biggest rule for a name/title/tagline/whatever is gimmick. There needs to be something there to identify with a need (auto repair), and to avoid being generic (+1 for avoiding names like Quality Auto, Superior Repairs, etc). It needs to be something that people will turn their head an look at when passing, stand out in a phone book, sound halfway interesting in advertisements, etc.

I actually like Blug Magic Auto Repairs...maybe park that Camaro out front, and/or use a picture of it like the one in your sig for a sign or billboard.

black
    95 conv, harttop svt

Any engine auto?

That is the first thing that came off the top of my head, considering your going for the diesels hybrid and such. I wish the best for your new and up coming business.

Candy Blue
    2000 Camaro SS

Thanks everyone... I've been racking my brain for the past few days for a name but can't seem to figure a good one out... especially one that isn't generic....

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

That's great you have all the hard stuff figured out but no name.
    Good luck man

None

I will think on it!!!

Candy Blue
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SS02 View Post
    I will think on it!!!

Thanks!!! I've been doing the same.... lol

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

first off, how much experience do you have in auto repair? Are you just the principle owner of this? You gotta be real careful how you are selling your business if you can't back up what you claim to offer. What corner of the market are you covering? With the economy the way it is, and people wanting their car repaired cheaper and cheaper these days but not being able to afford new vehicles, I suggest you try to be value minded but you are gonna flat out need a guy that can do the basic stuff and do it well.

People like catchy names, stuff that sounds fast, racey stuff. Even if its just general auto repair.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

ps. probably the best independent shop that I ever dealt with was this rinky dink shithole of a shop in an industrial area nearby. By looking at you would never think to take your car there. Heck they had like 3 bays in the tiniest shop you could imagine, but they had one or 2 guys that were WIZARDS with exhaust repair and welding up shit, doing brake line, shit like that. The one guy could do front flex pipes all freakin day and in under an hour for under 100 bucks. In and out. Now most exhaust shops would sell the customer an entire front flex pipe which could get very expensive if the cat is part of the pipe. But this guy cuts the section out and welds new ones in for freakin hella cheap and they dont leak a bit. Both parents cars have his work and they've been leak free for about 2 yrs now.

You wanna do brake work too. easy money. Plan on investing about 10 grand for a pro-cut oncar brake lathe. Minimum 5k for a bench version.

Candy Blue
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    first off, how much experience do you have in auto repair? Are you just the principle owner of this? You gotta be real careful how you are selling your business if you can't back up what you claim to offer. What corner of the market are you covering? With the economy the way it is, and people wanting their car repaired cheaper and cheaper these days but not being able to afford new vehicles, I suggest you try to be value minded but you are gonna flat out need a guy that can do the basic stuff and do it well.

People like catchy names, stuff that sounds fast, racey stuff. Even if its just general auto repair.

WELL.... Considering I have a degree in Automotive Technology with a Concentration on Automotive Diagnostics, and am waiting for my smog application to come back so I can take my test.... I think I have what it takes... I've been working on cars for a while now SOOOOOOOOO....

I'm sorry but your post just seemed like you were trying to be an ass... not sure if this was your aim.... but that's how it came out... I've thought about these things with the economy... and yes people are keeping their cars longer and repairing them... you're right HOWEVER there are A LOT of independant shops that are surviving.... So if you weren't trying to be an ass... just know that's how it came out...

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMagicSS View Post
    WELL.... Considering I have a degree in Automotive Technology with a Concentration on Automotive Diagnostics, and am waiting for my smog application to come back so I can take my test.... I think I have what it takes... I've been working on cars for a while now SOOOOOOOOO....

I'm sorry but your post just seemed like you were trying to be an ass... not sure if this was your aim.... but that's how it came out... I've thought about these things with the economy... and yes people are keeping their cars longer and repairing them... you're right HOWEVER there are A LOT of independant shops that are surviving.... So if you weren't trying to be an ass... just know that's how it came out...
    not trying to be an ass, but you are 20 yrs old man. Its common for young guys to come out of school and think they been there an back. I'm 26 and still dont know close to "it all". Good for you for having degrees and going through schooling. But it was an honest question. No need to get offended. Schooling does not equal experience. The field is way different then the crap they teach you at school thats for sure. Have you spent any amount of time as a tech working in other shops before?

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

Sockets and Pocket Rockets.

Candy Blue
    2000 Camaro SS

not trying to be an ass, but you are 20 yrs old man. Its common for young guys to come out of school and think they been there an back. I'm 26 and still dont know close to "it all". Good for you for having degrees and going through schooling. But it was an honest question. No need to get offended. Schooling does not equal experience. The field is way different then the crap they teach you at school thats for sure. Have you spent any amount of time as a tech working in other shops before?
    You are right... schooling is different... I understant that... I don't know it all... I never will... I may eventually know most of it... but I don't today... probably not in 10 years... Unfortunately I've never worked in a shop but I'm looking for a job in a shop for now while I'm working on my business plan... I will have help along the way... I will also have a FEW friends that have worked in shops help me and advise me... still doesn't help me with a name though.....

ANYWAYS... need a good name not generic or cliche for my shop... can't work on my Business plan without a name... simply makes life harder when I have to refer to my company as "it" or "that thing"

SO... with ALL of that said... I've said all this... talked about my credibility... and still yet to have a name...

Nuclear Cat Will End All LS1Powerhouse's Avatar
    Edwardsville, IL (So. IL Univ. of Edwardsville)

Mystic Teal
    1999 Camaro Z28 - A4

The One Stop Shop

I liked the Blue Magic one... Seems pretty cool and it can be "marketed" by your car's appearance if you were to use it on a billboard or something like that.

Candy Blue
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by LS1Powerhouse View Post
    The One Stop Shop

I liked the Blue Magic one... Seems pretty cool and it can be "marketed" by your car's appearance if you were to use it on a billboard or something like that.
    It's kicking around in there... haha... I WILL be using the car as a marketing piece though...

Buy Domestic, Buy a Lexus The Project's Avatar

Red Jewel
    2010 SS

How about
    ...The Chop Shop
    ...Backyard Garage
    ...Mobsteel Garage
    ...Majestic Garage

Just of the top of my head

NBM
    1998 Z-28

Do you have any specialty? I work for a dealership, but the best independent shop in my area is called Anthonys Transmission and the owner named it after himself and he is a tranny guy. Not knowing you or your area this is what I can think of.

-Superior Auto Repair
    -SS Auto Works
    -Young Guns Garage
    -GDH Auto Repair (gas,diesel,hybrid)

However I do like that Blue Magic Auto Repair idea

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

I was going to suggest your avenue but, didn't quite know how to word it. Yeah, something economical for the customer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information