Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Need help picking out a camera

I desperately need a new Digital camera so I can snap some good pics of my car, kids, whatever. I can't figure out which one to get, any recommendations? I'd like a digital camera that takes movie clips too but there are so many different kinds it's rediculous. Also post thoughts on Digital video camera's too. I might break down and buy a video camera instead of a regular digital one. What kind do you own? Do you like it?

White
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Yeah, there are a lot out there for sure. As far as brands go, I like Samsung and Casio the best. Samsung has some great quality stuff out there in my opinion, and Casio has some of the smallest ones.

First thing is, what are you going to do with the pictures, meaning do you think you'd ever need to blow them up to 8 x 10 glossies or poster sizes? If you do, then I'd recommend getting one with at least 5-6 megapixels. You can find even those relatively cheap. The more megapixels the better resolution you'll have, although you won't be able to tell too much difference until the picture is blown up to a bigger size.

Also, you want one with a good optical zoom. The standard on less expensive ones seems to be 3x, if they have it at all. Get one with at least that, more if you think you might be taking a lot of close up shots.

You will also need to check out the size of the screen on the back of it, where you look at the pictures you've taken. Having a bigger screen is really helpful when deciding if you want to keep a particular picture or not, and going from a 2-inch to a 2.5-inch screen doesn't sounds like that much of a difference but it really is.

Total size of the camera will also play a factor in price. Most of them are small nowadays anyway, but you can get some that are very slim and better fitting in a pocket or purse or whatever.

I just got an olympus fe 190. my son has the 170, with a 1 gig card he can take a 50 minute movie or 900 pics, also its easy to use. 190 gives you sound, the 180 is up from the 170 with a better lens. cost 150 to 200.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Olympus_FE_1...-31965096.html

ive always liked canon and since my wife wants a new digital camera for Christmas, ive been researching low priced canon models. I just ordered the
    A410 WITH a Canon printer brand new from www.pcconnection.com for $160 shipped to me. Just the camera goes for more than that and there are tons of reviews out there on google. its some sort of limited time deal and when i placed my order they had almost 75 left. Helluva deal if want something that has great picture quality and easy to use. just another option

Here is the link to the deal i mentioned:
    http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?Sku=7219742
    Last edited by whitelightnin99; 11-21-2006 at 12:21 PM.

I got a Sony DSC-W70 about 6 moths ago when it came out & love it!! It is a 7.2 mega pixel and takes great pics! It only has a 4X zoom though but it is very small & has a 2.5" screen on it which is awesome!
    2008 Lincoln MKZ - AWD
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT - Wifes car
    2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP - Sold
    2004 Pontiac GTO M6 - Sold

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I have a sony also and it's awesome. You can find them even cheaper then on sonys site...I bought mine at best buy for 180. http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/%3E%...s_megapixels_7

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Well I went ahead and bought a JVC mini DV digital camcorder. I went to Sears and found this one for $249.99. I'm curious though, in the book it says I can hook it up to a computer and download the video. How hard is it to pull a video from a digital camcorder to put on the internet? I've never posted a video before, I was wanting to shoot some video of this cam I put in my car and post it for everyone to see. There's not too many people running my cam so I figured an extra sound clip would help someone's decision. It's a nice camera though, has a 2.5" LCD screen, backlight, 800x zoom, etc... Thanks for the help, there was too many nice camera's to choose from.

I've had pretty good luck with Fuji camera.

I have the Kodak Easyshare. I love this camera
    99 Z28
    U.S. NAVY
    P-3 ORION
    FLIGHT ENGINEER
    ***IBNFE***
    FLY NAVY

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

I really like my Olympus Stylus 600. ALL weather. with a 2.5" LCD screen
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

Thread Information