Need help finding a quote

I need help finding a political quote, it had to do with the fall of America comming when its citizens gave up thier rights willingly in response to a fake external threat.

its been used recently as a quote against the patriots act or totalitarianism... i'm pretty sure it is a presidential quote of the 40/50/60s? maybe by Roosevelt

The Herpes of LS1.com Modulistic's Avatar

gray
    07 duramax

Its a pretty common theme, there are numerous quotes about the topic, its called the Hegelian Dialectic, or problem: reaction: solution.

"I am concerned for the security of our great nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insideous forces working from within." -- General Douglas MacArthur

I think thats the one you are looking for. I like these others also...

"Today, America would be outraged if U.N. troops entered Los Angeles to restore order. Tomorrow they will be grateful! This is especially true if they were told that there were an outside threat from beyond, whether real or promulgated, that threatened our very existence. It is then that all peoples of the world will plead to deliver them from this evil. The one thing every man fears is the unknown. When presented with this scenario, individual rights will be willingly relinquished for the guarantee of their well-being granted to them by the World Government."
    - Henry Kissinger, Bilderberger Conference in Evians, France, 1991

"Vulgas vult decepi" - the people wish to be decieved. -- Phaedrus

We are on the verge of global transformation. All we need is the right major crisis and the nations will accept the New World Order -- David Rockefeller

"The real rulers in Washington are invisible and exercise their power from behind the scenes."-- Justice Felix Frankfurter, U.S. Supreme Court.

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger." -- Hermann Goering, at the Nuremberg Trials

"As America becomes an increasingly multicultural society, it may find it more difficult to fashion a consensus on foreign policy issues, except in the circumstances of a truly massive and widely perceived direct external threat." -- Council on Foreign Relations (CFR)

Zbigniew Brzezinski, former U.S. National Security Advisor and co-founder of the Trilateral Commission, titled his 1997 book The Grand Chessboard: American Primacy and Its Geostrategic Imperatives. In this seminal book on American foreign policy, Brzezinksi states that because of popular resistance to U.S. military expansionism, his ambitious strategy for "American global primacy" can’t be implemented "except in the circumstance of a truly massive and widely perceived direct external threat."

eisenhowers farewell speech
    In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.

Its along those lines but that main ones but not it do like those other ones though, wish i could remember where i saw this damned quote! i want to say it was at the end of a movie or tv documentary recently...

It was along the lines of:

"We will fall to totalitarianism when the people willingly give up thier freedoms to under the false threat of a foreign threat"

or like

"Freedom will be given up to the government under the false threat of foreign invasion"

im googled out, i guess it will have to miss this paper... maybe ill find it in time for a revision piece.

Thread Information