Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Need help asap!!

I'll keep this short and too the point! Motor is about to be pulled from the top for H/C. Have everything we need but don't know where to hook on to the motor to pull it. Anyone know of good spots to hook to the block to pull it from the top.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

blue
    83 mustang 347

that hole thingy right on the top.... always go for the hole

Red

I haven't pulled an LS out of 4th gen from the top, but with any engine I always use a chain from acc. holes in the heads. I have a balance rig and four chains, bolt it to the holes in heads. You will want to remove your intake I am thinking....

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

We have chains, and using the head bolt holes with 2 bolts criss cross on each side. Intake is off, heads are off, all acc are off, just oil pan, block are left.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Now were ready but can't get the damn motor seperated from the t56. Any hidden bolts or any tricks. Two of us double checked and no bolts were left in.

Black
    99 Z28

I'm no mechanic, but isn't it much easier on the 4th gens for the engine to come out of the bottom instead of out the top?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Thats what most say but I respectively disagree. Have to fuck with the suspension then. If I had a lift maybe.....

Trolling Live Chat

Black
    01 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Now were ready but can't get the damn motor seperated from the t56. Any hidden bolts or any tricks. Two of us double checked and no bolts were left in.
    I did the same thing you are doing a few weeks ago. We also had a few problems with the tranny getting away from the block. There are two nipples (I believe they are made of brass??) that come from the block that does to the bellhousing. and it was a bitch to get off (from what my buddy was telling me, it has something to do with the 'brass' rusting/expanding due to heat) What we did was use a screwdriver to help pry it off. but when we did that we had already dropped the tranny. So I dont know if that will work if the tranny is still up.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

^ Thanks a bunch, will take a look.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

How many bolts hold the bellhousing to the t56, were thinking of spliting it there

Trolling Live Chat

Black
    01 Trans Am

I want to say 6, but thats a total guess. I honestly cant remember

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

We have eight out now. Still can't get the cocksucker broken free.

Red
    96 TA WS6 with LS1/Trans

Hey man, it is easier if you pull it out of the bottom and there really isn't many points that you have to disconnect to do it, but you are better off having the right tools and a lift if you do it that way. It can be done without a lift though. You can also buy the happy hooker, which can also be used on a LT1. Yeah, laugh but that's its name. On the LS1 you have to take the intake off in order to use it. You can take the engine out of the top. Look it up and it will describe the procedure for you. If I remember right, the happy hooker costs between 40 to 50 dollars but its been a while since I researched it.

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

yes sir there is now a happy hooker for the ls1 also

i have done it and i can tell you i will always go out the bottom from now on so much easier and you can put everything back on the motor while it is out and slide it back in

just being able to pull it all out on the motor is well worth it
    think just pulling the headers off while they are in the car is enough to make you wanna drop the whole motor

trust me you will save hours by the time you pull all accesories and headers off while in the car and then have to put them back on in the car

when out the bottom you can do it all with ease once the motor and k member are out from under the car

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Got it out, took it out from the top with the bellhousing still attached. Have to take the clutch off and on to the stand it goes. I'll get pictures of the build when we start. Good thing which I like to see when we rip shit apart is that the oil pan gasket was leaking and needed replacing anyways. Only leaking about 1/4 of a quart every 3,000 miles. LET THE BUILD BEGIN

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

as for the problem your having i dont know,should be able to pry and it should separate

just give her hell i guess man

is your clutch okay?maybe some chunks of it getting in a bind?never know ive seen crazier

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Well another problem we found when we pulled the clutch off......Clutch is fried I guess the LS6 clutch doesn't like around 80 track passes and 76,000 miles

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sounds like it was just stuck on the pins. You just have to keep raising and lowering the tranny a little at a time to get the bind off of it and then shake the piss out of it side to side. Real pain in the ass getting it off the pins sometimes.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    sounds like it was just stuck on the pins. You just have to keep raising and lowering the tranny a little at a time to get the bind off of it and then shake the piss out of it side to side. Real pain in the ass getting it off the pins sometimes.
    Yeah it was the pins, going to clean them up before assembly. Damn guys, you should see the clutch. Its fuckin done, 1 more track pass and that fucker was going to toast. The flywheel is uneven as a mofo and burn Running your finger, its like a warped rotor. Car is going to be fuckin nuts when shes up and running

Thread Information