Thread: need help again

slap your mama red
    1998 trans am

Angry need help again

well the wifes car is acting up again. As you drive down the road all of the gauge lights flicker on and off and the RPM, MPH, Temp, Fuel gauges all drop down to where they are before you start the car. It does this as you are driving down the road on and off. It dosnt affect the way the car drives but it is a serious problem. She has been telling me that it was doing this but tonight is the first time i have actually seen it happen. As soon as i seen it happen i imediatelly thought it is a Short somewhere. Also it tripped a code so i took it to autozone to have it scanned. It came up as either two things.

Short to Fuel Sending Unit, or a faulty sending unit.

What i am asking for is if anyone has access to and wiring diagram for the fuel sending unit for a 2005 FORD FIVE HUNDRED V6 2wd limited and could tell me where the connection is for the sending unit and how to get to it. Thanks in advance if you help me.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I know jack shit about Ford 500's but I do know about basic troubleshooting.
    Fuel sending unit will be in the gas tank. Trace the wires from the connector on the gas tank. Look for any pinched/cut wires. The other thing I have seen the past year or so is sending units "freaking out" due crappy gas laced with ethanol. Run some Techron Concentrate Fuel Cleaner and TCW3 mix. Fill up with top tier gas.

Short of dropping the tank and replacing the sending unit I would do the above 2 things first.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

first thing would probably do is clean the battery terminals. I've seen corroded terminals do some funky things to cars electrically. That's where I would start because it's easy and free. I would next inspect the harness going to the tank and look for obvious issues with it and if there's a plug I would put a meter on it and check for a short to ground.

Dark Steel Metalic
    98 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by damianj03 View Post
    well the wifes car is acting up again. As you drive down the road all of the gauge lights flicker on and off and the RPM, MPH, Temp, Fuel gauges all drop down to where they are before you start the car. It does this as you are driving down the road on and off. It dosnt affect the way the car drives but it is a serious problem. She has been telling me that it was doing this but tonight is the first time i have actually seen it happen. As soon as i seen it happen i imediatelly thought it is a Short somewhere. Also it tripped a code so i took it to autozone to have it scanned. It came up as either two things.

Short to Fuel Sending Unit, or a faulty sending unit.

What i am asking for is if anyone has access to and wiring diagram for the fuel sending unit for a 2005 FORD FIVE HUNDRED V6 2wd limited and could tell me where the connection is for the sending unit and how to get to it. Thanks in advance if you help me.

Is this what you are looking for?

Thread Information