Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

98 Formula
    06 duramax

need to heat my garage...

Need a cheap heater for the garage. Doesn't have to be something that runs all the time and keeps it at 70 degrees but just something to make it comfortable to party and drink beer out there during the winter.

Looking at something like this....just not sure if it's big enough.
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/ProFusion-Heat-Ceiling-Mounted-Workshop-Halogen/dp/B002VMKCWQ/ref=pd_cp_hi_1[/ame]

White
    '10 ZR1

I'm not sure how cold it gets out there - but I bought one for my garage after we insulated/sheet rocked it from Mills Fleet farm for about $500 bucks. It is 75,000 btu's/hr I believe. I could've bought the 50,000 btu's/hr one and been fine, but the larger unit was only 40 bucks more....

Hmmm, 5,200 btu's/hr......how well is your garage insulated?

Maybe this would be a better alternative, and cheap too! (30,000 btu's/hr)

http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/pro...-garage-heater

98 Formula
    06 duramax

garage is well insulated and ~600 sq/ft. I wasn't really specific enough in my first post. It needs to be either 120v electric or propane. I don't want to run gas lines to the garage and I don't want to have to run wiring for a 240. I will only use it once or twice a winter. Mainly for my superbowl party because we always end up in the garage due to the smokers being right outside the garage's back door. The propane heaters worry me due to the amount of propane they go through. I don't want to have to go fill bottles all the time. When I do my superbowl deal it's an all weekend thing so I could potentially go through several 20lb bottles of propane that weekend alone. I would rather run 2 small electric heaters versus one large propane.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

My 2 kerosene heaters work very well. Alittle "fumey", but can run all day without having to fill them up.

Kerosene prices suck though, $4/gal here.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

just turn the car on and shut the garage door? doi

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    My 2 kerosene heaters work very well. Alittle "fumey", but can run all day without having to fill them up.

Kerosene prices suck though, $4/gal here.
    I have a kerosene heater now but like you say.....they tend to stink a tad. Don't want everyone coming over and going home smelling like kerosene.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

hugger orange

Hey Orion, have you thought abou a small wood stove in a corner? You could pickup a used one for alittlebit of nothing, then all you'd have to do is punch a hole in the wall and run some chimney pipe...just keep a couple bundles of wood laying out back for when you want to fire it up

98 Formula
    06 duramax

thanks....that's good info.

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    Hey Orion, have you thought abou a small wood stove in a corner? You could pickup a used one for alittlebit of nothing, then all you'd have to do is punch a hole in the wall and run some chimney pipe...just keep a couple bundles of wood laying out back for when you want to fire it up
    right there is where I have a problem. I'd love to throw a stove out there because I already have the wood but I don't want to cut a hole in the wall. Hell, I already have a pellet stove I could put out there but don't want the hole and if/when we move now I'm patching a huge hole in the wall to take the stove with me.

Midnight Blue
    2001 WS6 TRANS AM

Yep get the woodburner... I use one for my house in PA.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

check out what sexonwheels did to his garage!!!

hugger orange

Could cutout a nice square hole and make a plate to hold the chimney going through the wall, then if you do take the stove out you could drop in a replacement window.

Another idea would be a stand alone unit heat/ac like in hotel rooms...I think you can get them in either 110 or 220v

Silver
    2005 Toyota Corolla (DD)

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

if you want a great way to heat the garage (but explensive) is to have a heated floor...

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    if you want a great way to heat the garage (but explensive) is to have a heated floor...
    +1. Radiant flooring is the best, but expensive.

I do have an older propane furnace sitting in my shop if you're interested. We did a swap out in a customer's house and it's still sitting in my old shop. You could have it if you want it. Send me a PM if you're interested. And you would still need to make a penetration somewhere to vent it - the one downside to it. But it would heat your garage quickly.

If you are isulated enough infared would be the way to go. I have one and it reduces my oil bill almost in half and the electric went up only 20 bucks. If you are looking to cool the garage, ductless air conditioners are cheap and easy to install.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    +1. Radiant flooring is the best, but expensive.

I do have an older propane furnace sitting in my shop if you're interested. We did a swap out in a customer's house and it's still sitting in my old shop. You could have it if you want it. Send me a PM if you're interested. And you would still need to make a penetration somewhere to vent it - the one downside to it. But it would heat your garage quickly.
    I appreciate the offer but I really don't want to cut holes in my house.....wish they made some kinda window vent because I have a couple windows in there. I'll most likely go with an electric heater just due to how simple they are. No gas lines or vent pipes to run. They're more expensive to run but for the couple times a winter I'll be running it that's not an issue. If I were heating with it all the time I'd do gas but just for parties and what not it seems that electric fits my needs better.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I appreciate the offer but I really don't want to cut holes in my house.....wish they made some kinda window vent because I have a couple windows in there. I'll most likely go with an electric heater just due to how simple they are. No gas lines or vent pipes to run. They're more expensive to run but for the couple times a winter I'll be running it that's not an issue. If I were heating with it all the time I'd do gas but just for parties and what not it seems that electric fits my needs better.
    No problem. It's just been sitting in my shop, figured if you could use it I'd offer. But I agree with you. It sounds like electric would suit your situation better.

You could technically vent the furnace out a window - you would need to make a metal panel for the flue piping to run through. But that get's into more work than it's worth I'd think for what you're looking for. Unfortunately, I do not have any electric furnaces sitting around in my shop. I figured with the electric rate discounts going away, I'd be replacing more of them.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Have an insulation contractor come in and spray 1/2 pound foam and complete your building envelope. I do it everyday with icynene, you should see the customer feedback we get as far as satisfaction goes

But it's damn expensive

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    Have an insulation contractor come in and spray 1/2 pound foam and complete your building envelope. I do it everyday with icynene, you should see the customer feedback we get as far as satisfaction goes

But it's damn expensive
    wtf are you talking about? You hit your head when you fell didn't you?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information