Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    02 Camaro SS

need advice on the law

i need some help, i was arrested saturday for drag racing, but i wasnt speeding and i pled not guilty, i wanted some opinions and advice from people that have been where im at.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

They arrested you? Thats odd. Around here they usually just write a ticket if your speed isn't outrageous. I'd say best bet would be to get a lawyer and hope the cop isn't there. If he isn't, then it'll be dismissed since you had a lawyer. Otherwise it'll just get rescheduled. You typically have a better chance no matter what if you have a lawyer, at least around here. I know somebody who got out of over a half a dozen DWI's just cause he had a lawyer present.

Black
    02 Camaro SS

yea he arrested both of us and i think they are handling it as a class b misdemeanor

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    02 superchipsZ28 M6(sold)

well in alabama you get arrested if your going over 100mph but you said you wasnt not so thats no help. get a lawyer to be safe

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

well... frist off... we need the whole story... be completely honest... what happened prior during and after the arrest...

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

in court make sure the cop has some sort of proof of your speed, and usually racing is called "contest of speed" so both of you would have had to be going well over the limit.

If you kicked his ass you could always use the defense of, " well it was really a race"

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I have some advice. Don't drag race on the street. Take it to the track.

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

Black
    99 SS

hum he cant arrest you for not speeding, and if your drag racing then your usually speeding doing over 26mph, and u really cant get arrested for wreckless driving, so what happened?

Black
    02 Camaro SS

The whole story is, I was pulling up to a red light and a mitsu lancer evo pulls up next to me and we exchanged some non provoking words and the light turned green i punch it, he punches it i take the lead, i hit 45- 50 i slow down wait for him to catch up i said " that was fun and he got in the turning lane and turned off, i went down the road a little further a got in a turning lane i look back and there was a biker cop and he told me to follow him i follow him a ways and he already had the other guy there, i give my license and insurance to him and he places me under arrest along with the other driver we went to jail, i bonded out 6 hours later and i talk to a couple lawyers they seem to think it should be thrown out, but who knows i just happened to be in one of the worst county as far as the law goes in east texas lucky me, and to the person who said take it to the strip if we had one around here i would love to

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Get with the other driver and corroborate your stories. Tell the judge you were NOT racing and there's no speeding on the cops radar. Hire a lawyer and get his advice first.

Black
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    in court make sure the cop has some sort of proof of your speed, and usually racing is called "contest of speed" so both of you would have had to be going well over the limit.

If you kicked his ass you could always use the defense of, " well it was really a race"
    I've made lots of drag racing/contest of speed cases with GA, and the speed of the contestants has never been an issue. If two vehicles are involved in a contest of speed or handling, it's the contest that is unlawful; if they top the speed limit, it's just another charge thrown in the mix. I've caught people just off the line at red lights, after they hook but before they gain lots of speed, and those charges always stood.

Now you have me interested... I'll have to look up TX law and see how it reads.

Also note, in most states, the police do not have to catch both parties involved in the race to make the charge, but, again, TX may be different.

-Chris

SOM
    2002 FireHawk

Hire a good attorney, guilty or not.

If you can not pay for a good attorney you will be tried & fired. Pay the piper and move on down the road. If you can afford to hire a good attorney you most likely would not be asking on the internet.

This is a very good example of how money can make a difference between guilt or innocence. Now JUSTICE in another matter, most of us Americans do not really want true justice. It might hurt a little more than we would like...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I was just getting ready to chime in that "contest of speed" has nothing to do with going over the speed limit.....that's a racing charge. Even if you race to 35mph in a 55 zone you can get that ticket. My bro even got one that was called "unsafe start" by spinning the tires leaving a stop light. He also got one for driving on a sidewalk but that's unrelated.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I was just getting ready to chime in that "contest of speed" has nothing to do with going over the speed limit.....that's a racing charge. Even if you race to 35mph in a 55 zone you can get that ticket. My bro even got one that was called "unsafe start" by spinning the tires leaving a stop light. He also got one for driving on a sidewalk but that's unrelated.
    shit my brother got a ticket for "excessive display of horsepower" for reving his car at a cop being a smart ass...

Black
    02 Camaro SS

well thank all ya for the advice it is appreciated, i think they make up some of these laws as they go along, im hoping it will get dropped to exhibition of acceleration or the judge is a chevy fan \m/

Yeah, That's right CaptainCaveMan's Avatar
    Mexican killed my car

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    shit my brother got a ticket for "excessive display of horsepower" for reving his car at a cop being a smart ass...

pie
    free

I love how subjective a "speed contest" is. Two old ladies in minivans could get tickets for racing if they were both trying to get to 35mph as quickly as possible.

Black
    2001 Camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCaveMan View Post
    same thing i just did haha, and i laugh because its happened to me before, except i didn't get a ticket for it, just pulled over and harassed by a 5'4" redheaded oinker

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by random-strike View Post
    didn't get a ticket for it, just pulled over and harassed by a 5'4" redheaded oinker

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by blk_ss02 View Post
    well thank all ya for the advice it is appreciated, i think they make up some of these laws as they go along, im hoping it will get dropped to exhibition of acceleration or the judge is a chevy fan \m/
    if i were you... i'd wear a nice suit and tie to court... talk with good mannorisms... "yes sir/mam" to every thing... and make sure you keep a bit of lube in your pocket for when they butt fuck you... you hit what you "think" was 45-50... i hate to say it.... but you are screwed...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information