Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

my girlfriends ford explorer has diarrhea

i came back to the car yesterday after driving it for a while, and there was a big brown puddle under the car. it obviously came out under the radiator cap.
    took it to the repair shop, he poured water in the radiator, we let the engine run and soon a lot of brown soup came gushing out of the (still open) radiator. lumps of brown goo in it, too. repeated that several times, same result.
    checked back in today: he had run some tests, the emissions are normal, the oil looks like it should, so we don't think it's the head gasket. pulled out the water pump, doesn't look suspicious, but gonna throw in a new one just in case.

any ideas anybody?

it's a 93 model, 4.0l V6 auto

pewter
    1999 chevy camaro z28

If you run water in your motor instead of antifreeze it will create rust inside the block which cause your truck/suv to have diarrhea as you so eliquently referred to.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Rodding out a radiator is the process of removing the radiator tanks and pushing rods through the radiator core to clean it. After the core is clean the tanks are soldered back on. This can be a good repair but most of the time it makes more sense to just replace the radiator. New high quality radiators have become so inexpensive that it's getting hard to recommend repairing an old one. Most of the time the cost of a replacement radiator is only 30% more than a repair. A new radiator is almost always available the same day. A new radiator will usually carry a better warranty

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by wilsonls1 View Post
    Click for full size
    rather immodium... you're kidding, right?

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post
    Rodding out a radiator is the process of removing the radiator tanks and pushing rods through the radiator core to clean it. After the core is clean the tanks are soldered back on. This can be a good repair but most of the time it makes more sense to just replace the radiator. New high quality radiators have become so inexpensive that it's getting hard to recommend repairing an old one. Most of the time the cost of a replacement radiator is only 30% more than a repair. A new radiator is almost always available the same day. A new radiator will usually carry a better warranty
    ok, first: i didn't know about rodding out a radiator, interesting!
    2nd: i should have mentioned that the radiator got replaced last winter, so it's pretty new. the old one was leaking.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

there isn't a tranny cooler inside the radiator, is there? Old burnt tranny fluid would be brown.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    there isn't a tranny cooler inside the radiator, is there? Old burnt tranny fluid would be brown.
    hmmm, i think it does... good idea, i have to check that! that would mean an internal leak in the radiator. "$$&%$ยง"

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

yes, which would also point to coolant in the trans (not good at all), and trans fluid in the engine.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

yes, which would also point to coolant in the trans (not good at all), and trans fluid in the engine.
    yeah i was thinking about that, too. but wouldn't that show in the oil? and emissions? also, the engine runs great!

why do i suddenly think of the guy who put brake fluid instead of engine oil in his motor, and then cleaned the engine (internally) with brake cleaner? it was posted on here, link to another forum. epic!

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

I can't imagine it would be in the engine oil (unless you mean tranny fluid), as the coolant and engine oil have no 'access' to each other (separate systems).

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

As for emissions, i don't see why it would, it does nothing to affect the way the engine runs (except maybe hot).

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Pull the tranny dip stick. If it looks like a strawberry shake water got into the tranny.

Although it could just be tranny fluid leaking into the radiator through the cooler.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by hamburger68 View Post
    yeah i was thinking about that, too. but wouldn't that show in the oil? and emissions? also, the engine runs great!

why do i suddenly think of the guy who put brake fluid instead of engine oil in his motor, and then cleaned the engine (internally) with brake cleaner? it was posted on here, link to another forum. epic!
    If the head gasket was leaking you could have coolant in the oil. Sticking the emissions test device in the radiator and see the hydrocarbons shoot up was a way to see if the head gasket was leaking also. It was for when coolant woud disappear but was not leaking. Sounds like Zapper has the right idea.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

I can't imagine it would be in the engine oil (unless you mean tranny fluid), as the coolant and engine oil have no 'access' to each other (separate systems).
    As for emissions, i don't see why it would, it does nothing to affect the way the engine runs (except maybe hot).
    my mistake, it was late yesterday and i my thinking was detetriorating rapidly.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    If the head gasket was leaking you could have coolant in the oil. Sticking the emissions test device in the radiator and see the hydrocarbons shoot up was a way to see if the head gasket was leaking also. It was for when coolant woud disappear but was not leaking. Sounds like Zapper has the right idea.
    as i said above, the head gasket seems to be fine.

i just got off the phone with the repair shop, they checked the tranny fluid, all good. mysterious. i suspect that somehow ancient gunk from all over the system got loose when the radiator was changed last winter and clogged up the radiator, thermostate etc.
    they're gonna test drive it today, we'll see.

thanks for the input, guys!

Impounded
    gmcheviac

The previous owner of my truck put in all new hoses and a radiator. It still has the leftover engine poop from before. Just needs to be flushed

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    The previous owner of my truck put in all new hoses and a radiator. It still has the leftover engine poop from before. Just needs to be flushed
    yes, we hope that that's just it. they flushed the system yesterday several times before they took it apart. we bought the car from a ford dealership, found out later that their (huge) workshop was run by lying idiots and they didn't perform any of the maintenance routines or checks they claimed they did. oh well, you live, you learn. so i don't know if the cooling system has ever been flushed before.
    the shop i take the cars to now is awesome and very honest.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

You live and you learn........ not to buy a ford

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTY JERZY View Post
    You live and you learn........ not to buy a ford
    she wanted it, she did, not me, honestly, it's not mine!

but it seems to be fixed, repair man test drove it twice and all is well. also, it passed inspection, that means it's street legal for another two years. yippie!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information