Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

My first bathroom project

Here was my first bathroom project I did on my own. I had never worked with tile before. Previous flooring was vinyl tiles. Bathtub was cast iron and blue, and the vanity was an old oak cabinet with a blue top before I started. I think it turned out pretty well. I also added the overhead lighting in the shower as well as a new exhaust fan. The picture doesn't show it installed, but there is a cover over the light now. I wish I would have installed the tiles with designs on them now to give it more of a "pop", but live and learn.

I am considering doing something like this in my basement when I refinish it.

Thoughts?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Here are more pictures. I'm trying to find before pictures, but can't seem to locate them yet. Maybe I didn't take any, but I thought I did.

I'll post pictures of the downstairs "bathroom" in a few. It's a real marvel.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Everything works nice together. Would be nice to see some before shots.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I really thought I had some, but it looks like I don't. I may have deleted them. It was basically a complete gut job from the ground up. Everything was demoed; tub, vanity, floor and toilet. Walls were in decent shape so I just painted them after a lot of sanding.

The floor was covered in white vinyl stick-on tile. I will keep looking.

Just took a pic of the bathroom downstairs. Will post in a minute. Thinking of using tile for this project too, but maybe stepping it up a bit since it is smaller and won't be as expensive.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Here is what I'm working with in the basement Another total restoration job...

I kinda like the bathroom in the basement better. lol

To be honest it looks like the same color tile I just put in my bathroom... Looks good man.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Jon - you're hired. You can start anytime next week. After the bathroom is done, we'll need a new kitchen too.

Bright blue metallic
    1999 z28

Very nice work

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

looks good

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

If it were me, i would try and keep all the tile the same in each bathroom. Better for resale purposes later. My opinion though.

But looks good!! I'm almost finished with mine also. It was a complete redo.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Basement is definitely in need of some TLC. Get it anywhere like the other one and you should put a nice bump your home value.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Looks good but the big question is........have any leaks? J/K Good Work!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Thanks guys and girls. It took me awhile to finish. I took my time with it though. As far as the bathroom downstairs goes, I think I might use the same tile as upstairs as it's a pretty neutral color. I have some left-over tiles too from upstairs which helps. I may add the design style tiles in as well to make it look a little fancier. I've never used the bathroom in the basement, but I'm pretty sure I'll need to snake out the drain in the shower. You can see rust in the shower floor from water seeping up over the years. Probably will install a check valve of some sort.

I just don't know about the shower yet. It's a surround of some sort installed. Obviously it is old and dated. I am thinking of tearing it out and building new walls with sheet rock or green board and tiling the shower down there as well.

Open to other suggestions as well. It's a smaller shower stall so I think that would be easiest.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Looks good but the big question is........have any leaks? J/K Good Work!
    Actually, the toilet started leaking shortly after installation. I noticed a small puddle downstairs after flushing it one day. I didn't think of it until after the fact, but since I went from vinyl tile to ceramic tile, it raised the floor level up about 1/4". I tried using just the double wax ring for the toilet seal. That didn't work. Well it did, but not for long. I ended up pulling up the toilet again and installing the correct spacer underneath on top of the cast flange piping, and then used another new double wax ring. Good to go now. Live and learn

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Looks good!

Actually the basement bathroom would probably be a little easier to start with since most of it is unfinished.
    Gives you more options when you want to build rather than tearing out walls and floors or having to stay within a prebuilt space.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

That's what I'm thinking too. I've even thought about moving the wall where the shower is to make it larger. Only hiccup is on the other side of that wall is where the main pipe comes down for the drainage. On the other side (left) is where the stairs come down. I'll probably just go with a small vanity, new flooring, put up some green board, and then figure out the shower stall last. There is currently a poured in cement base for the shower stall so I'm not sure if I want to mess with that. Doubting the shower will ever get used, but having everything functional should help with house value once I sell. I have 1.5 baths upstairs so making the bathroom downstairs should be a good selling feature.

red
    95 Z28

So you didnt have to do any drywall work in that first bathroom? What about where you put in your new tile in the shower?

Looks good by the way. Only about ten thousand times better than one of those cheesy, butt-fucking-ugly, cheap ass one-piece shower inserts

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    So you didnt have to do any drywall work in that first bathroom? What about where you put in your new tile in the shower?
    I tore the bathroom walls upstairs in the shower out and put in new cement board under the new tile. The bathroom upstairs actually had a combination of "light blue" tile and surround in it. I removed everything down to the studs. I also rerouted and re-soldered some copper piping. The walls outside the shower were all good. I just used puddy, sanded, and then painted.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Looks good, yet another piece of evidence that we have very similar tastes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information