Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Silver
    2002 Trans AM

Thumbs down my biggest vent to the public.

On Sunday my grandfather was riding the public bus in NYC (Brooklyn) He collapsed due his low blood pressure and stopped breathing. No one on that bus even tried to perform CPR. NO ONE. For 10 minutes he lied there until EMS arrived. My grandfather is now in ICU on life support and brain dead due to lack of oxygen. My family is already arranged funeral possession and he will be taken off life support in the next few days.

I am so upset right now at everyone on that bus. Is this who we are? Why is it so hard to take a few hours to learn CPR. You don't even have to give mouth to mouth. All you have to do is give 100 chest compressions with in 60 seconds. Its not hard at all. I could still have my grandfather in my life, if there was at least one person who knew CPR.

Please go learn it. I have an advance BLS certification, so does my father, so does my mother and so does my sister. if I even need to use it, i will in a heart beat. I already used it twice. I just wish this post can somehow reach the people that were on the bus and let them know that if it were their family member that needed CPR, I would not hesitate to do it.

Thank you for reading.

Update:

My Grandfather has given up his fight. He passed away 2 hours ago since been taken off life-support 4 days ago.

He will be forever missed.

RIP Kimik Mkrtchyan.
    Aug 17th, 1928 - May 17th, 2011
    Last edited by FSANE; 05-17-2011 at 05:57 PM.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Sorry about your grandmpa man.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

sorry for your loss.

these are the types of things that make me sick. people are more concerned with "what is my liability if..." than "oh shit...that guy needs help."

my father is 90...he'll be 91 in june. my g/f took him to easter service the other week as he doesn't get to get out of the house much after his last serious stroke. well he's a lot bigger than my g/f is and while she was walking him up to the church he fell and took her down with him. fortunately there were a lot of people that ran over and helped him up and even offered to follow my g/f home and help him in the house.

good people are out there...unfortunately they are few and far between.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Oh man. That IS sad. Back in high school, I was certified for child, infant and adult CPR. This was back when mouth-to-mouth was necessary. Someone on that bus should have assisted your grandfather. Makes no sense why no one even bothered.

My condolences.

black black black
    77 swb

Just another sign of what has happened to our country. The bus driver should at least be trained in this stuff. I bet they tell the drivers NOT to help so they don't get sued.

If true, we just need more people to sue when the driver doesn't help and maybe that will help even things out.

Sorry for your loss man.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

While I feel your loss bud I have to say that's life in the big city. Most folks don't pay any attention to others in the larger cities, especially if they are in need of some kind of help. There are exceptions but most don't want to get involved or just flat out don't care.

Really sad when you think about it...

blue
    1999 TransAm

sorry for your loss..

better check to make sure they didn't take his wallet...

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

That's just horrible! It's sad that people today just don't give a damn about anything but themselves.

My sincere condolences

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    That's just horrible! It's sad that people today just don't give a damn about anything but themselves.
    My sincere condolences
    that's the thing, they do care, and they don't want to risk getting sued

sorry for your loss FSANE

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    While I feel your loss bud I have to say that's life in the big city. Most folks don't pay any attention to others in the larger cities, especially if they are in need of some kind of help. There are exceptions but most don't want to get involved or just flat out don't care.

Really sad when you think about it...
    Thats the truth. When I moved up here my wife and a former student of hers took me to manhatten to see ground zero and other sites. Well a couple very attractive girls was crossing the side walk with us and a guy on a bike was coming toward us when he got in the face of one of the girls and said something. she got a look of disgust and I tensed ready to do something. The wife grabs me and said " honey this is the city you don't want to get involved, you may get sued ,shot or stabbed. The girl will take care of herself"
    That is when I noticed everyone around was just walking on without a care in the world and a so what attitude. when we had lunch we talked about it and I made it clear that the city people suck because of their attitudes toward other humans, the girl could have been hurt or something and no one would have done jack shit. I also made it clear that she had best get use to me wanting to help someone in trouble because thats how I was raised,if something bad happens to me so be it at least I stood up for someone that needed it and wa willing to face the concerquiences.

FSANE, I am sorry to her that about your grandfather. hopefully your rant will get more people to get CPR training along with training on the heimlich manuver and any other first aid training just in case. When The wife and I found out she was pregnant I went and had a refresher course. You never know when and what will happen.

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    that's the thing, they do care, and they don't want to risk getting sued

sorry for your loss FSANE
    Maybe in Missouri, but definately not in NYC. it is all about money and selfih greed. Kinda like the discussion about teen idiots. There are some good ones but the odds of one being at the right place at the right time is highly unlikely.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

sorry about that man...

it sux no one tried to do something.. at least tried..

at my job they make us take a CPR class cuz you never know when something is gonna happen..

sorry you have to go through all that

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Mmmmm..,

I would say we don't have quite such a "sue me" attitude here in the UK, but i would say i would never want to go through life not knowing the simple life saving techniques...

I work in a college and it is required of us, but i would do it anyway!!

Foer the sake of a few hours training you may just have the wherewithall to save a loved one or friend from serious consequences, or death!!?

Never mind the stranger who may need help... it will change the situation from organising a funeral to buying some flowers for the loved one who you still have with you... will it not?

Trev...

And FSANE, i do sympathise with you for your perhaps needless loss

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

unreal... sorry to see this bud...

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

That is terrible and I'm sorry for the loss of your gpa. The reaction (or lack thereof) of the people on the bus are, sadly, a societal thing. Our society is simply not the way it was during many of our parents youth. I'll even go as far as to say it's worse now than it was when I was in college 16 years ago.

Silver
    2002 Trans AM

Thank you guys.

Worse parts are that it happened on mothers day, and tomorrow is my grandmothers birthday. It also happened when I was on vacation in Miami. I just name back 2 days ago. When I called my mom on Sunday to wish her happy mothers day, I knew something was wrong. She told me that he didn't feel good and was taken to the hospital. She lied to me about his condition. I know I shouldn't be mad at her for doing this, but I just cant help it right now.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I just got recertified last month.

Sorry for what happened. Most people only care about themselves nowadays. It's not just city people, but they are much less considerate.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Sorry to hear that, I believe there was a big thing on the news about NYC where a man laid dieing in the street while hundreds of people walked by and didn't even bother to ask if he was alright, they had a video of it. I myself would not hesitate to use cpr, I am certified in that, and I am a combat life saver!!

Silver
    2005 Toyota Corolla (DD)

I believe good samaritan laws were enacted to protect those attempting to help others. One of the lawyers on this site could probably chime in (good to know for all the members who may not be aware of it)

Sorry to hear about this tragic circumstance for your grandfather and family.

Rally Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Thats absolutely horrible......

I was raised by my Grandparents, and very close to them. I still miss them a lot.....

For you to loose your grandfather for the inaction of an ignorant public is sickening. I am deeply sorry for your loss.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information