Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Mt-2012 boss 302

Saw this article over on another forum, just thought I would post it up on here to get everyone in the loop with the competition

This car actually went around Laguna Seca faster than a Z06 which is ridiculous for a factory Mustang. And even more impressively, it was faster than a car that costs well over the 100k mark which is the Audi R8. With that said, I wonder how the ZL1 will compare to it? The pricing as well as it's overall performance is going to be pretty difficult to beat.

Article:

March 07, 2011 / By Scott Mortara / Photography by Brian Vance

California Special. GT. Mach. These are not just names of Mustangs. These are the names of Mustangs that got two chances at life. There was only one Mustang that Ford had yet to recreate -- the baddest of all, the Boss. That is, until now. Meet the 2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302, the best, most well-rounded Mustang ever.

What exactly did Ford do to get such great performance? Lots. Engineers started with a standard 5.0-liter engine, but instead of just throwing a supercharger on it, Ford kept this engine au natural and made it a free-flowing, high-revving screamer with a new "runners-in-the-box" plenum/velocity stack combination. Ford used revised camshafts with a more aggressive grind, and CNC machined the intake, exhaust ports, and combustion chambers of the aluminum heads.

All internal components are lightweight. A high-rpm valvetrain was designed, while a race-spec crankshaft and stronger main and rod bearings accommodate the increased load and high engine speeds. An oil cooler helps prevent the engine's blood from boiling, and revised oil-pan baffling keeps things pumping properly during hard cornering. The Laguna Seca edition gets a transmission scoop under the car to cool those fast-spinning gears.

An all-new quad exhaust system makes the Boss sound as good as it performs. Two pipes exit in the rear, and two new pipes were added almost purely for sound. The two new outlets exit to either side of the crossover pipe, funneling exhaust through a set of metal discs that act as tuning elements. The pipes end just ahead of the rear wheel opening and flow very little exhaust, but create a sound unlike any other Mustang.

All this work resulted in 444 horsepower and 380 pound-feet of torque. That's more power than in a standard GT and a little less torque -- not that you'll notice, because Ford widened the powerband, creating a linear torque curve all the way to redline.

Next came the addition of fully adjustable shocks, as in the original Boss 302, as well as higher-rate coil springs, stiffer suspension bushings, and a larger rear stabilizer bar. By twisting adjustment screws on the top of each shock, drivers can select from five progressively firmer settings. One is the softest, two the factory setting, and five the firmest. All these new suspension bits lowered the Boss by 0.4 inch in the front and 0.04 inch in the rear, giving it a slight rake.

The retuned speed-sensitive electric steering system has three different settings -- comfort, normal, and sport -- selected through an instrument cluster menu. There are also three different settings for the traction and stability system: on, off, and intermediate sport.

The Boss' wheels are lightweight 19-inch racing alloys wrapped in Pirelli PZero summer rubber, while the Laguna gets wider 9.0-inch fronts and 10-inch rears wrapped in Pirelli Corsa R-compound tires.

Boss brakes are the same as the GT with the Track Package: 14-inch Brembo four-piston front calipers, stock 11.8-inch rear, but with high-performance pads and vented brake shields as well as reinforced lines that expand 30-40 percent less than the GT's.

What do all these changes mean? Well, Ford hosted us at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca to find out. Since the Boss acts nothing like a Mustang GT, it takes a little time to get used to its newfound performance. Mustangs have always been front-heavy and like to push during hard cornering. Ford has significantly reduced this sensation and made the car much more balanced, which increases confidence exponentially.

You can go into corners much harder now, as the front end bites and turns in crisply. The Boss rotates like the GT does, but without the GT's tendency to wiggle the rear end on corner exit, unless you want it to. It has so much low-end torque, we were in third gear most of the time, up to fourth on the front straight, and down to second around turn 11.

As its hot shoe, Ford brought 2010 Rolex 24hrs Daytona GT class winner Jonathan Bomarito, so we took the opportunity to gather some hard data on what the Boss could really do. Bomarito and the Boss knocked out two hot laps at 1:40.4 and 1:40.2.

How fast is that? Well, we compared those times against a few vehicles from our MRLS lap-time database and were astonished. With a professional racing driver behind the wheel, the 2009 BMW M3 that competed in our 2008 Best Handling competition clocked a 1:42.9. In our 2009 Best Driver's Car competition the 2010 Shelby GT500 lapped in 1:44.3 while a 2010 Audi R8 did it in 1:40.8. This puts the Boss 302 in a very elite field, and it's not the fastest Boss. According to Ford, Bomarito lapped the Boss Laguna Seca under 1 minute and 40 seconds.

Testing the Boss is an absolute delight, particularly the launch control system, which feeds in power. With it on, the car launches with about 2700 rpm. Right around 3500 rpm, the torque kicks in and pulls all the way to redline with no flat spots. We nearly broke 4.0 seconds to 60 (3.97 actually). Given a grippier launch surface, there is a 3.9 in this car.

The Boss really comes alive on the figure eight. We set the suspension at 5 in the front, 3.5 in the rear, giving the rear end a little room to move without upsetting the car mid-corner. Turn-in is crisp and precise, and it's incredibly easy to modulate rear-end wiggle with the throttle. The Boss doesn't roll over like the GT, either. The only issue was the brakes, which faded a bit after only a handful of laps. On the road, the Boss rides slightly better than a GT because of the adjustable suspension. Use the lowest setting for a nice Sunday cruise, and within minutes you can firm it back up if you happen upon some twisties.

The optional Recaro seats cost $1995 but are a must-have, especially at the track. They come standard in the Laguna Seca edition, along with an X-brace in place of the rear seat. All Bosses receive a black shift knob, dark aluminum instrument panel, and door scuff plates.

The new Boss comes with two keys, one with a silver Boss logo and the other with a red Boss logo. The red logo'ed Trackey adds TracMode powertrain control software to the car, providing full race calibration and two-stage launch control without compromising the factory warranty.

Ford's goal for the Boss was to beat a certain Bavarian around Laguna, but that was easy. We proved the regular GT was just a tick off the pace of the M3 in our October 2010 cover story. What Ford has done is much more; this is hands-down the best Mustang it has ever produced, and we tip our hats for not wimping out with merely a sticker-and-wing package. So who's next on the challenge list? Good question. While the new Camaro ZL1 has improved suspension and a lot more power, we don't think it stands a chance against this Boss on a racetrack. But we look forward to finding out.

CURB WEIGHT 3621 lb
    WEIGHT DIST., F/R 55/45 %
    0-30mph 1.6 sec
    0-40 2.3
    0-50 3.1
    0-60 4.0
    0-70 5.0
    0-80 6.2
    0-90 7.6
    0-100 9.2
    QUARTER MILE 12.3 sec @ 115.8 mph
    BRAKING, 60-0 MPH 108 ft
    LATERAL ACCELERATION 0.98 g (avg)
    MT FIGURE EIGHT 24.7 sec @ 0.78 g (avg)
    PRICE AS TESTED $43,485

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Damn nice car for the price but didnt see where it beat the Z06 anywhere

I'll take a Z06 Any day of the week over it. I'd take this over any new Maro or Dodge though
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Damn nice car for the price but didnt see where it beat the Z06 anywhere

I'll take a Z06 Any day of the week over it. I'd take this over any new Maro or Dodge though
    Sorry, forgot to post the link. But, you do have to take into consideration the fact that the Z06 was probably on the sorry factory run-flat's, it didn't have the top of the line brakes either I'm pretty sure. Just a base model, still very, very good for a Mustang though, I must admit.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna_seca.html
    Last edited by Transamws6; 03-08-2011 at 12:36 PM.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Transamws6 View Post
    Sorry, forgot to post the link. But, you do have to take into consideration the fact that the Z06 was probably on the sorry factory run-flat's, it didn't have the top of the line brakes either I'm pretty sure. Just a base model, still very, very good for a Mustang though, I must admit.

I see, I see now. Damn strong runner

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

stats like these are like dyno numbers, cool to see for baseling and bragging rights.

unless its the same driver, running 5 laps and they average the best time, for every car..
    then its a cool comparison.. its too easy to be off a second one day and faster or slower the next..

either way very impressive for a mustang... really makes your realize out outdated 4th gens.. lol

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7 View Post
    stats like these are like dyno numbers, cool to see for baseling and bragging rights.

unless its the same driver, running 5 laps and they average the best time, for every car..
    then its a cool comparison.. its too easy to be off a second one day and faster or slower the next..

either way very impressive for a mustang... really makes your realize out outdated 4th gens.. lol
    Well then i guess we cant compare our 1/4mile times either because they were run by diffrent drives at different tracks on different days.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

That's a Mustang I'd want in my garage. I don't care if others wouldn't, I'd share the room next to my WS6.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by Transamws6 View Post

Your link notes that the test from the ZO6 happened in 2005 -

either way - that car is impressive, especially for the price as tested

Edit: It isn't faster than the 2011 ZO6 Carbon btw
    Last edited by FasstChevys; 03-08-2011 at 02:25 PM.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

It is impressive thats for sure. But Ford built this car for this track. The laguna seca 302 mustang was just a two seat race car. But even the boss 302 was tested and tuned for laguna seca.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    It is impressive thats for sure. But Ford built this car for this track. The laguna seca 302 mustang was just a two seat race car. But even the boss 302 was tested and tuned for laguna seca.
    Another thing that's impressive is that by going off of the link, that Laguna Seca 302 weighs in at 3666 lbs! (1659 kg)

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    Your link notes that the test from the ZO6 happened in 2005 -

either way - that car is impressive, especially for the price as tested

Edit: It isn't faster than the 2011 ZO6 Carbon btw
    Ha, good catch, I didn't even realize that.

Although, I don't think there were any huge changes from when the C6 Z's first came out in '06 until now. Only ones I can think of are..... a better transmission in '07 or '08, a better steering rack and a better interior, that's about it if I remember correctly, that's all I think they've changed over the years. I could definitely be wrong though so I'm gonna need you to go ahead and correct me if I am.

Also, I'm really not surprised the Carbon's faster. I mean, I'd expect it to be for the amount of money you have to pay for one. Those things are almost in ZR1 territory price wise.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7 View Post

Dude the fact that they ran a time even ONCE that beat an R8 is an accomplishment itself.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Need I remind everyone that this is also a solid axle car..... gotta love the haters that blast our F-bodys for the solid rear when it's clear that results like this are possible.

Makes you wonder what Ford has up their sleeves for the 2013 or 2014 model. Supposedly all new and you can be sure it'll probably have IRS.

The pony car wars are heating up and if GM can keep pace with the ZL1 then we are in for a wild ride this decade..... assuming that oil prices don't kill the dream

I paid almost 50 bucks to fill from 1/4 yesterday in the hawk.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

the next big must have ricer mod..."transmission scoop"

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    the next big must have ricer mod..."transmission scoop"
    the next big type of transmission failure 'kitty cat in the sunshell'

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Wow very impressive, i want to hear one

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

I've NEVER liked Mustangs. Ever. Ever. EVER!!!

I'd buy that.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Dang, sweet. Too bad there won't be any convertibles.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Im suprised they did this while staying na. Gonna pull like hell with a blower on it

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    Need I remind everyone that this is also a solid axle car..... gotta love the haters that blast our F-bodys for the solid rear when it's clear that results like this are possible.

Makes you wonder what Ford has up their sleeves for the 2013 or 2014 model. Supposedly all new and you can be sure it'll probably have IRS.
    Who blasts the solid axle in the F-body? Corvette people? Does the Vette have an IRS? Most people on, say, the Mustang forums that have Cobras with an IRS talk about swapping them out for a solid axle, as it's faster off the line. Which is fine if all you want is to drive in a straight line. But having driven both my WS6 and Cobra over the same twisting mountain roads, I am all about the comfort and control of the IRS over the straight line speed of the solid axle. It's a very noticeable difference in the turns.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information