Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Moving up in the world

A lot of people think Hyundai and think cheap transportation. In the past few years, after major overhauls of their bread and butter models and the introduction of some new high end vehicle lines, Hyundai has made some massive moves upmarket.

Introduction aside I am quite impressed by the story I just read about their engine durability testing.

In the new 2011 Sonata, Hyundai will be introducing a new 4 cyl GDI engine that will replace both the old 4cyl and 6cyl offerings. The new engine makes 200 hp and gets as much as 12% more torque in certain locations through the rev range. We all know the benefits of GDI and how it will eventually infiltrate all engines being made by all manufacturers. What impressed me was the testing that the new Hyundai GDI engine went through.

300 hours on the dyno which according to Hyundai is like driving 120,000 miles at wide open throttle. They then tore down the engine and put it on display at a media briefing on the new Sonata. Granted it never saw the muck and dust and grime of day to day driving so it was clean on the outside but it was also pretty decent on the inside as well. 120,000 miles at WOT should equal 300,000 plus for a well maintained engine. I'd love to hear all kinds of measurements on the tested engine. Was everything still to spec? clearances? compression? oil consumption?

In any event link to the article can be found:

here

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

This will fall on deaf ears on this forum.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

sad really... progress is progress, doesn't matter from who. The engines as well as the cars are being built in Alabama.... should count for something.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

I've said it once I'll say it again, Hyundai is not the same company it was even 10 yrs ago and they are right up there with all the manufacturers and they sell their product at very competitive pricing. All their new stuff drives pretty much exactly like their japanese competitors.

white
    1997 dodge dakota

i want a genisis coupe 375 hp ftw

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    sad really... progress is progress, doesn't matter from who. The engines as well as the cars are being built in Alabama.... should count for something.
    BUT SO WAT IF IT PROVIDES AMERICANS WIT JOBS, ITS STILL A CHINESE (Because anything Asian automatically earns the "Chinese" misnomer) COMPANY WHO ARE EVIL AND HATE AMERCA

I really like the Genesis.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    BUT SO WAT IF IT PROVIDES AMERICANS WIT JOBS, ITS STILL A CHINESE (Because anything Asian automatically earns the "Chinese" misnomer) COMPANY WHO ARE EVIL AND HATE AMERCA

I really like the Genesis.
    Genesis sedan drives just like an ACURALEXUSINFINITIBMW, for way less. Never driven the coupe though.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

375? that's the Tau V8 in the sedan the coupe has either a 2.0T with 210 hp or a 3.8 v6 with 306 hp. However, 375hp in the V8 is old news as hyundai has announced that some new updates to the engine bump output in the sedan up to 385hp. Plus the updates are said to broaden the power curve making the hp even more usable.

Imagine that. a 385 hp Hyundai.....

Here's a quote from inside line:

"Even while running on regular fuel and thus producing just 368 hp rather than the full 375 hp, the Genesis V8 stopped the computerized clock of our VBox test equipment at 5.9 seconds to 60 mph (5.6 seconds with 1 foot of rollout as on a drag strip), confirming Hyundai's claim of breaking the 6-second barrier to 60 mph. The quarter-mile marker flew by at 103 mph in exactly 14.0 seconds. These fleet figures put the Hyundai Genesis V8 in the company of any V8-powered Audi, Benz or BMW sedan, a significant accomplishment."

Now add nearly 20hp and a better torque curve. Can you imagine having a Hyundai sedan with a tune or exhaust running door to door with a stock Fbody???? I need some bolt ons and like NOW lol. I'm mighty impressed with their stuff. I'm really considering a Hyundai for a DD when my Saturn outlives it's useful life. It's 13 years old right now... only 47k miles though.

Jeez I realize that I come off sounding like a Hyundai cheerleader.... I'm not trying to, honestly. I just like the idea of a company that keeps bettering themselves.

To a lesser extent I'm starting to see some great progress at GM

Much like Hyundai, Ford is really on a hot streak with bettering their breed as well.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    375? that's the Tau V8 in the sedan the coupe has either a 2.0T with 210 hp or a 3.8 v6 with 306 hp. However, 375hp in the V8 is old news as hyundai has announced that some new updates to the engine bump output in the sedan up to 385hp. Plus the updates are said to broaden the power curve making the hp even more usable.

Imagine that. a 385 hp Hyundai.....

Here's a quote from inside line:

"Even while running on regular fuel and thus producing just 368 hp rather than the full 375 hp, the Genesis V8 stopped the computerized clock of our VBox test equipment at 5.9 seconds to 60 mph (5.6 seconds with 1 foot of rollout as on a drag strip), confirming Hyundai's claim of breaking the 6-second barrier to 60 mph. The quarter-mile marker flew by at 103 mph in exactly 14.0 seconds. These fleet figures put the Hyundai Genesis V8 in the company of any V8-powered Audi, Benz or BMW sedan, a significant accomplishment."

Now add nearly 20hp and a better torque curve. Can you imagine having a Hyundai sedan with a tune or exhaust running door to door with a stock Fbody???? I need some bolt ons and like NOW lol. I'm mighty impressed with their stuff. I'm really considering a Hyundai for a DD when my Saturn outlives it's useful life. It's 13 years old right now... only 47k miles though.

Jeez I realize that I come off sounding like a Hyundai cheerleader.... I'm not trying to, honestly. I just like the idea of a company that keeps bettering themselves.

To a lesser extent I'm starting to see some great progress at GM

Much like Hyundai, Ford is really on a hot streak with bettering their breed as well.
    Progression and quality seem to go hand in hand and are mandatory in todays market. All the companies that are doing well are constantly tweeking, improving, innovating, with new product. What I like about Hyundai is they do all of that at a lower price. Its really hard to argue a company that is selling a good car for cheaper. Same goes for any kind of product, who cares what it is. Sell quality stuff for cheaper and people will buy. The genesis is 60k worth of car for low 40s. If you can get passed it being a Hyundai and thats the kind of car you want, its hard to not look at that thing good and hard.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

I think the Sonata line changed the way Hyundai should be viewed from now on. The Genesis took it to the next level. Those are great cars and when our present "family" car needs replacement, the Genesis is likely the way we'll go.

It's quick, but it ain't a LSx f-body equivalent.....yet.

Is any rental car company using the Genesis yet? I like trying out cars that way.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I dunno... I think sleeper when I see a Hyundai that can run 14 flat out of the box. especially since it has a 4.6 V8. give it the new engine with the 10 extra hp and the broader powerband then add some boltons maybe a blower..... That would be one SERIOUSLY fast family car. Imagine running 12's in a 4000lb Hyundai. I used to be into the whole luxobarge speed thing. It's why I had a Mark VIII LSC. back in 1993 any car that ran 14.6 was a rocketship. today there are a lot of DD Mark VIII's running 12's and at least 1 mark VIII that is running 6's!!!! obviously not a DD lol.

Back on topic. I've worked on my sisters 2000 Elantra when she needed to change the struts. The engineering on the car was seemingly well thought out. You can almost see exactly why they did things. Such as what was done on a budget yet designed to still be of high quality. I have no doubt that her car will last her a long time. She hasn't had any problems with it except for changing the shocks on a 10 year old DD lol.

Machine Silver
    05 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    This will fall on deaf ears on this forum.
    what? couldn't hear ya.

Machine Silver
    05 Corvette

What ever happened to YUGO? now those were good cars.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Malcom Bricklin was a visionary. Yugo was actually a clever ploy.... Show Americans how bad some other countries cars are and they will be convinced they need to buy American.... Pure Genius!!

Thread Information