Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Move to Texas? Big change/Big move. Your opinions?

Alright. Ill start this out with I hate Michigan Winters. I want one car that is my DD that is more than likely a ZO6 C5. No fucking winter Geo Metro's for me.

Now, the big question. My brother is going to school for alternative energy. Windmills etc. There is decent money in it from what I heard. The catch to taking the schooling in Michigan is, You can really only get a job in a part of land that is very flat and capable of supporting wind power. Hence, the move to Texas. The last graduating class all moved to Texas and received job placement immediately. My brother comes to me and asks the question... would you ever move to Texas? My first answer was, HELL YA. Wheres the good deal on my Vette? ( I used to live in Nashville TN and loved their season's).

Now where MY del-lima comes into play. If I choose to leave Michigan, I lose my job of three years at Michigan Caterpillar as a mechanic making very decent money with full benefits. I feel I have much time invested in this company primarily because of my age. ( I turned 22 yesterday) and am slightly skiddish of leaving this commitment.

I am in the process of putting an offer in on a home, and putting offers on houses does not make sense with an idea of moving across country!! Im in a bind on that one. I could comfortably move across country with the money I have saved up from my ass breaking work at Cat. Its a substantial amount, at least to me. Do I leave town, burn threw this hard earned money in search of a better/more enjoyable living environment? Or do I stay in Michigan, buy a house, and do my thing here??? I think about after I get there, If I hate it... The chances of me getting my job back is not so great, and More importantly, I would be at the very bottom of the Union Seniority list.

Also, Leaving all of my family would be incredibly difficult, my mother would likely end up in a pshyc ward losing both her sons to the Lone Star state.

Also, I dont entirely know what my job plans would be. Probably something different. I dont wanna turn wrench's anymore really. I think my person could find a job for some reason. Maybe, maybe not.
    So, LS1, WTF do I do?

For those of you who read all of it, thanks. Opinions????

pics of said mother. so you want to move to texas, so you can drive a z06?

Red
    '01 Silverado

do what you believe in, if it would crush your mom i wouldn't do it, even though she is only a phone call away

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Steers and queers, steers and queers.................

Red
    '01 Silverado

preston's going to get his ass whooped

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I 'ed.........don't know why I did but I busted out and 'ed

Awaiting Activation

Black
    02 T/A WS6

I'm from Texas and went to school in Michigan. Don't assume that it doesn't snow in Texas. I live in Amarillo, TX (home to a lot of wind turbines) and lived in Lansing and Kalamazoo for about three years. I've seen worse snows in Texas that I ever saw in Michigan. Some years the snow in TX can be almost as frequent as those in MI.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Come suck on my horns bitch.
    You know why Texas doesn't fall off into the Gulf of Mexico?
    Cuz Oklahoma sucks.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Hi-Po...you gotta ask yourself if you can see yourself doing what you do today...where you do it...say 30 years from now....or.....in 30 years will you own a wind turbine repair/installation company? I think it is the future man.....I'll say it again....I've never seen anybody get rich working for somebody else....I did it making a decision years ago on this stupid computer/internet thing that was just coming out Secondly.....the jet engine will get your ass anywhere you want to go in about 3-4 hours.....so you'll never be more than 3-4 hours away from Mama.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

your 22 get out live a little see something different. i say hookem horns.

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

Personally, i wouldnt be able to leave my family. thats why im still in shitty PA.
    You said you have a great job, that pays well with good benefits and youre looking at buying a house at age 22? Hmm sounds like you're doing pretty well for yourself in MI. If you want security, and you want to start your life i'd say stay in MI, but if you're looking to be a rebelious wild 22 year old then move across the country for the experience. Its your call but ultimately think of your future, sounds like you've got a pretty solid one in MI.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by ls1blackbeauty98 View Post
    Personally, i wouldnt be able to leave my family. thats why im still in shitty PA.
    You said you have a great job, that pays well with good benefits and youre looking at buying a house at age 22? Hmm sounds like you're doing pretty well for yourself in MI. If you want security, and you want to start your life i'd say stay in MI, but if you're looking to be a rebelious wild 22 year old then move across the country for the experience. Its your call but ultimately think of your future, sounds like you've got a pretty solid one in MI.
    i would wither with out my family...

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

texas is badass!!!! i realized that lastnight... the city was lit up... driving north on congress blvd and the capital shining between the high rise buildings... and realizing... texas' capital stands taller than any other capital building in the us... even higher than our nations capital... suck on that michigan... its seriously... just badass
    and about the guy talking about snow... thats the pan handle... if you come down south... noooo snow... like ever... plenty of places to harness the wind power as well etc... round rock just north of austin is a leader in excavation... i bet you can become a mechanic there if still wanting to work on that kind of equiptment

primevil
    2000 FRC

The only steers and queers are in OKLAHOMO !!!
    Last edited by SleeperC5; 06-06-2008 at 05:43 AM.

primevil
    2000 FRC

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Come suck on my horns bitch.
    You know why Texas doesn't fall off into the Gulf of Mexico?
    Cuz Oklahoma sucks.
    AHHHHH--- "HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!! Good one Sarge !!!

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Texas has some of the kewlest racing on the planet. They shut down the highways for 'orr' ffs.

Don't look back Hi-Po!

primevil
    2000 FRC

You need to go ahead and move down here to TEXAS. You can drive your car(s) ALL YEAR LONG !!!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1blackbeauty98 View Post
    Im doing pretty well. Secruity is here, in MI for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
    your 22 get out live a little see something different. i say hookem horns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Hi-Po...you gotta ask yourself if you can see yourself doing what you do today...where you do it...say 30 years from now....or.....in 30 years will you own a wind turbine repair/installation company? I think it is the future man.....I'll say it again....I've never seen anybody get rich working for somebody else....I did it making a decision years ago on this stupid computer/internet thing that was just coming out Secondly.....the jet engine will get your ass anywhere you want to go in about 3-4 hours.....so you'll never be more than 3-4 hours away from Mama.
    Theres no way in hell I could ever be wrenching in 30 years. Hell, not in 5 years even. I totally agree with never being wealthy working for the man. I always say, Caterpillar pays me just enough to keep me coming back everyday. Thats it, there never going to make me rich. If I did move out to Texas, I more than likely would not be working with my brother or in his profession. I wanna try something new. White collar something. Just dont know yet! Decisions decisions.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SleeperC5 View Post
    The only steers and queers are in OKLAHOMO !!!
    When did Texas invade Oklahomo?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by SleeperC5 View Post
    You need to go ahead and move down here to TEXAS. You can drive your car(s) ALL YEAR LONG !!!
    That would be so awesome. Thats me written all over it!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information