Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle newb

Navy Blue
    2002 Z28 A/4

Motorcycle newb

complete noob to motorcycles I just wanted to gets some 411 on how to get my licence in Texas and any suggestions for a first bike? All help is appreciated

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

I know in NC you have to take a writtin(computer test) for your permit, and you can only drive yourself. Then you take the riding test and you have your full license for a bike. But it depends on what your looking to get a crotch rocket or a cruiser!!

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

suggestion for first bike...

dirt bike, learn how to ride and fall on the dirt...

dirt and grass hurts a hell of a lot less than pavement...

but if you decide to go street, pending your size, get a smaller CC cruiser... Something that if you drop it, you wont be pissed.

Sports bikes are expensive to repair when dropped...

Navy Blue
    2002 Z28 A/4

where do i go to take the test?

I was considering getting a ninja 250r

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7 View Post

but if you decide to go street, pending your size, get a smaller CC cruiser... Something that if you drop it, you wont be pissed.

Believe it or not I learned to ride my step dads honda shadow at the age of 16, never got the opportunity to ride a dirt bike.I have also rode my step dad's harley soft tail 1200cc. I have driven a 2004 r6 last summer, so i think I am going to stick to a 600 cc rocket for my first owner ship of a bike just cause I am young now later will be a harley.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SSjunior View Post

DMV

Navy Blue
    2002 Z28 A/4

I have owned a dirt bike before

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

you didnt state you already know how to ride. LOL

again based off your size and legal limits, along with what your comfortable with go for it.

if you go sport bike, dont be fooled by anyone that says go 600cc, its less powerfull then a 900/1000cc... BS they are both extremely fast.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    Believe it or not I learned to ride my step dads honda shadow at the age of 16, never got the opportunity to ride a dirt bike.I have also rode my step dad's harley soft tail 1200cc. I have driven a 2004 r6 last summer, so i think I am going to stick to a 600 cc rocket for my first owner ship of a bike just cause I am young now later will be a harley.

I would believe it. I know many that did the same...

its still best to learn on dirt...

I'm one who learned the hard way... head surgery at age 13 for head trauma injury from bouncing my head off the pavement...

not many live from that.

my bikes of choice for ride are

Cruisers
    -star (have a star 950
    -victory

Sport
    yamaha r1, always rode those and will buy another

and

I wear ICON or ARAI helmets, and gear

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

I wear ICON or ARAI helmets, and gear
    I fucking LOVE my ARAI helmet, I could wear it all day and not even know its on my head. It is so fucking comfortable!! Anyways I got a 2000 ZX6R as my first bike and I haven't dropped it yet, its a really comfortable bike and the position is too. I drove my friends R6 and I felt like I was gonna faceplant cause I felt so tilted forward.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

suggestions.

start out on a smaller cc bike...a 600cc or something of that nature. a 750 is nice...but it can be too much for a beginner...and the power of modern 1000cc bikes is WAY too much for a beginner.

a forgiving beginner bike is the suzuki sv650s. sporty bike with a smooth throttle response, fuel injection, and good torque. you can learn the fundamentals quite nicely on one and upgrade to a larger bike later if you want to.

also. full gear...or at minimum a leather riding jacket, leather gloves, and a full face helmet. always wear pants and tight shoes...no flip flops...no sneakers with long ass laces and things of that nature.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

get a honda cbr600, gsxr 600 or zx6r..

if you gonna learn on how to ride it, get the zx6r 07 or newer so you can see the gears when you are riding it.. that helps alot
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Quote Originally Posted by SSjunior View Post

is not worth it, the smallest cc i would go is 600 cc

whe you are ready the R1 is the best choice

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

This x1000.

Don't be another punk kid who gets his first bike and wrecks it. Take your time, assume the worst situation when driving, always have an "escape" route and never match the speed of the car/vehicle next to you.

600CC bike (crotch rocket) is power enough for 99% of people. Most people who think they NEED a 1000CC haven't taken a 600 to a track. These bikes are extremely fast and need to be respected in by all means.

BE SAFE!

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

If you get a nice sport bike as your 1st bike.
    You could do what I did. I remove all the fairings out of the bike. I just left the tank of course.
    I took em off just in case I drop it or something.
    I ride my1st bike 600cc for 1 year. Never dropped it.
    The reason why I got a 600cc is because is a big motor very powerful. Abd since is an expensive bike. I had to be Very carefull with it.

1 ting you have to keep in mind.
    Dnt be afraid of the bike. But you have to respect the bike.
    Those are 2 different things.

People say 600s dnt have power.
    Yes they do.

Good luck man.

White with Hugger Stripes
    1997 30th Anniversary SS

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    is not worth it, the smallest cc i would go is 600 cc

whe you are ready the R1 is the best choice
    I see nothing wrong with starting on a 250R. Great way to learn how to ride and once you are ready for something bigger, you can pretty much sell it for close to what you paid for it. I started with a Ninja 500 and it was a blast to ride. I would still have it had someone not pulled out of a driveway without looking both ways. Upgraded to a ZX-6 with the insurance money and it was entertaining outrunning squids on 1K's in the canyons with my little 600. Years later I bought a Busa, but still kept my 600. It was big, but comfy and I had no trouble keeping up with my friends with their Gixxer 1K's in the canyons.

To the OP, go take an MSF course. Worth its weight in gold and they teach you skills and fundamentals that will help you stay safer on the roads. Get the proper riding gear (helmet, gloves, leather jacket, boots, etc.). I suggest wearing steel toe boots without laces. Good luck and when you do get on a bike, leave your ego at home.

Ray Charles blue

If you want a sport bike start on a sport bike..........smaller and cheaper the better. Riding a cruiser is not preparation for a sport bike. It is good to learn on but a small cruiser is preparation for a larger cruiser.

Sport bikes are expensive to fix so get a small cheap one. Not everyone is a sport bike rider though.

I have had multiple dirt bikes and enduro bikes but when i wanted a street only bike I picked up a 1997 TL 1000S. It was a great bike.........if you knew how to keep your hand off the gas! I even took my test with it and passed and yes it had the shit factory stabilizer.

Ray Charles blue

Like others said..........gear is your friend.

600s have power, but big bikes have torque. All of them are fast and whoever says they are not doesnt know their ass form a hole in the ground. When the mid 90s 600 cc bikes can run mid 11 to low 11s in the 1/4 I would say they are quick.

I have ridden about every 600cc, 750, and a all the jap 1000s and they are all so close it comes down to what fits you best. I am not supre tall but at 6'1" the biggest thing for me is finding one that fits me best. The zook took my heart, (2009) and felt the best for me so its all in what you want. The white honda and yamaha though steel the looks for me.

Just be safe op.

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

I learned how to ride on my father's sporter summer after 6th grade. He put me on the front taught me how to work the cluthch and throttle then the gears. By the time I was half way thorugh the 7th grade its was just as easy as driving a car. I was just too dam short and that thing wasn't light at all so he always had to hold it up lol. Whatever you decide be safe use the gear and always ride as if other vehicles can't see you at all.

I plan on getting this R6 this summer! I only weight 160 so 600 way more than enough power for me. She would look so good next to the Z28!

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

I would start on a Ninja 500, a 650 twin like a Ninja 650 or the SV650. Any 600CC Supersport from 94-today is too much bike for a newb rider to be on. You are new, and will make mistakes. It benefits you to be on a bike that is more controllable for when you make mistakes. You have a ton to learn on and being on a SS bike is NOT the machine to be on unless you want to look cool sliding across the pavement. The 650 twins or 500 have a much smoother power delivery, aren't as abrupt, brakes aren't as twitchy and you will be a much better rider in the long run.

Invest in good gear. Gear is your friend and chances are as a new rider you could be testing it out. Over the past 16 years of riding, I have seen many people think they knew how to handle a SS bike and all they did was spend more time sliding on the pavement wrecking their nice bikes. Ignore the comments like "respecting the bike" or "it is not enough bike for me"because that has zero to do with riding a bike. Take a good beginner course, and continue to learn afterwards.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction.

09 Vulcan 900 custom.
    2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
    1998 Z/28 Hardtop A4 | Y2K wheels | SLP Lid | Magnaflow catback |cutout | Hotchkis LCA'S/PHB | BMR TA and D/S Loop| Tuned by Frost....300rwhp/308rwtq

97 Cobra- bolt ons | full exhaust| 4.30's| suspension | SCT tune- sold!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information