Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Motivation through college

I am loosing motivation to stay. I wont lie. Im taking the same shit I took in High School. Math, English, History, Economics, I feel like quitting sometimes. Here I am paying money for classes that I took in high school, passed and here they are again in "college form." I really have to be honest, I don't care about taking these classes. Everyone says you need a degree to get anywhere but I'm not a scholar kind of person myself. Im a hands on person. I can't sit there and read tons of books and do these math equations, but I can weld plumbing together and I have done my share of renovations in homes with my dad so I know a little about good craftsmanship. Today's society seems to say people who don't go to college are failures, and I don't believe that one bit. While I had all these high hopes of going to a university I quickly realized in community college, I may not be cut out for this. Anyone else go through this while they were in school? Im going to try and stick it out but I see no light at the end of the tunnel right now.

Maple Red Metalic
    2000 Trans Am

Stay with it. I know how you are feeling. I am just finishing up this summer because I would stop after I got frustrated relearning the same stuff over and over. In the end you will need to get the degree and you might as well just do it early. Don't follow my model and take 15 years to get it done. Now I feel like I have to rush and get it done. I have had to work full time and go to school full time for the past 6 months. I regret not applying myself like this years ago.
    http://www.donet.com/~pamela/ls1Img_2686.jpg

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

all Spaz has to offer is...

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Part of my frustration comes from the fact that my school has lost my SAT scores not once, but twice. Both times I hand delivered them. I made an 1100 which isn't amazing but not bad either and I can't even take college algebra. Im in some remedial math class now, I dont pay attention because I know what Im doing. I have yet to get any lower than a 95 on the tests, its too easy. Im just getting farther and farther behind with the classes Im supposed to be taking. Im going to do my best to stick it out, but the college experience has simply sucked for me.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

i didnt go to class today. it will be the only one i miss. i dropped out and am now going back. i like school. makes me not feel like shit everyday.

but i do know what youre saying. i love working on cars and painting and drywalling but i can do that already. i havent been through college so thats just another challenge i want to beat.

the minute you stop looking at some things in life as a competition or a journey it doesnt mean a fucking thing. ive been there and im young.

Silver
    At least its paid for.

I only went to college for a little bit. It just does make any sence why you have to take classes you have any ready taken in high school. The only thing you should be doing in college is taking classes that pertain to the job you are going to be doing. Its a big waste of our money and time that they have you take classes that you do not need to take. For most of the jobs out there. It does not take 4 years to learn and get ready for them.

The cost of college is just crazy also. If you are not paying for it and are not going into debt because of it. Then I would try to keep going. Since it would be paid for you might as well.

White
    1998 Trans Am

the first year or two of school are ghey b/c its all the gen eds. after that is starts getting harder, but more interesting. stick it out. i was there 5 years and it seemed ridiculously fast looking back, but there were days when i woulda rather died than gone to class

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

I agree with NE98LS1. Stick it out. Its worth it in the end.

Like anything in life, you have to pay your dues to get the respect you deserve. You are now paying your dues. The first few years when you are doing G.E. classes, its real important that you work hard. These classes are the foundations from which you build up. I can not begin to tell you how disgusted I am with the writing I have seen from people. If you really pay attention, you will notice so many improperly spelled words, improper word usage, wrong math, etc...just so many mistakes. Its no wonder that we are 26th in the world in education. Other countries are so far ahead in education its not even funny.

Yeah, it may seem boring to those of us who can actually write and do math. But you would be amazed to see how many high school graduates who can't do either. Many high school grads fail the basic college entry level math and English exam.

After your GEs, you'll start to get into you major classes. Also, think about doing an internship during your senior year, it will really help you out in getting work right after you graduate.

Good luck and don't give up...its worth it.

BUT IF COLLEGE IS REALLY NOT YOUR THING, YOU MAY WANT TO THINK ABOUT VOCATIONAL EDUCATION. AFTER ALL, COLLEGE IS NOT FOR EVERYONE. I TRULY BELIEVE THAT! OUR SOCIETY FORCES COLLEGE ON EVERYONE BUT IT REALLY ISN'T FOR EVERYONE. IN OTHER COUNTRIES, IF YOU HAVE A HIGH LEVEL OF EDUCATION, YOU MAKE LOTS OF MONEY. IN THIS COUNTRY, IF YOU HAVE TECHNICAL SKILLS LIKE A GENERAL CONTRACTOR OR AUTO MECHANIC, YOU CAN MAKE LOTS OF MONEY.

EITHER WAY, YOU'LL HAVE TO WORK HARD AND INVEST YEARS OF YOUR TIME. YOU WILL END UP DOING WELL FOR YOURSELF EITHER WAY. THE CHOICE IS YOURS. A WINNER WILL BE A WINNER NO MATTER WHICH PATH HE/SHE CHOOSES.
    "I am the executioner. When a crime is committed and the exalted state does not take vengeance nor move to punish, then comes time for the executioner to declare himself. I have waited long enough. The criminals are hereby sentenced to death. By fire. By earth. By water."

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

It's tough man...taking 12+ units and working full time is no joke. Just don't get into the habit of missing classes...it gets very addicting. In all reality you're right, you don't "need" a degree to be successful. A lot of people make six digits a year because they're skilled and work hard but don't have a degree. It really does help though...or at least it couldn't hurt.

18D Cock Diesel

Gandhi said it best:

"Learn as if you will live forever; live as if you will die tomorrow."

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Come follow me around at work for a week and you'll want to stay. I make a decent living but I break my damn back to do it. College allows you the opportunity to have the choice not to beat yourself to death to make a living. Plumbing and home renovation will all still be there when you graduate if that's the path you want to choose. The key word there is "choose". You'll have that option. You'll also have many other options. A lot of us don't have that luxury. I could quit my job tomorrow and have thought about it often but what then? I'm not gonna just run out and get another job making what I make now. The end result is I go to work everyday to a job I despise and my back hurts every morning so bad I have trouble raising the toilet seat to piss. Get your education even if it means taking classes that are pointless and going to school on days when you'd rather be fishing. It's an investment that 15 or 20 years from now you'll be damn glad you made.

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

drop out, join the Marines, become a Private First Class, and make $1000 a month. you can be a welder. we have that MOS. it could make you miss college, or it could make you glad you did something you enjoyed.

Many Marines still end up getting their degree when they're in. it just takes them a lot longer to get it.

either way, it's up to you.

Impounded
    what difference does it make how you earn a living? You can make a ton of money doing the renovation/plumbing stuff. I know a lot about this stuff - I learned the hard way - don't do things because everyone says "it's the right thing to do" or because they say "oh you shouldnt be a plubmer, that's a low level job" or "you need to have a prestigious career that you can be proud of ".
    all that is BS. one piece of wisdom: it doesnt matter WHAT you do, it matters WHO you are. if you are GOOD, then no matter what you do you'll do it great and make good money at it bceause you'll rise to the top. another piece of wisdom: if you do what EVERYONE is saying is the bset thing to do (like getting a big career), then you're going to have so much competition because everyone is doing it, that employers will treat you like crap, pay you less than you deserve, very hard to find a new job when you get laid off all the time. There's exceptions to everything, but that's what I've been through. I gave up the corporate america scene, dumped my college training, and moving into something that I always wanted to do, but was told that it was too low-level for "someone of my talent/intelligence". which was teh biggest lie of my life.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

I am going to go through with college, I really want to be a constructional engineer and that is going to require college. I have an opportunity to work for a company local here that is an engineering firm because the family who owns it is close with mine. Something hit me yesterday in class, I have opportunity knocking its just Im being too lazy to pursue it.

18D Cock Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by sgt0704 View Post
    drop out, join the Marines, become a Private First Class, and make $1000 a month. you can be a welder. we have that MOS. it could make you miss college, or it could make you glad you did something you enjoyed.

Many Marines still end up getting their degree when they're in. it just takes them a lot longer to get it.

either way, it's up to you.
    Good point! I exercised this option (ARMY) got my masters degree. And YES...it took a long ass time!

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Without college you may look like this..........How's that for Motivation????
    Last edited by rbob93; 08-21-2007 at 08:47 AM.

18D Cock Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    Without college you may look like this..........How's that for Motivation????
    I hope you were joking:

Just some without a degree:

Bill Gates
    Harry S Truman
    George Washington
    Walt Disney
    Michael Dell
    Orville & Wilbur Wright
    Steve Martin
    Thomas Edison
    Abraham Lincoln
    Charlton Heston
    Peter Jennings
    Elvis Presley
    Paul Allen
    Steve Jobs
    Lance Armstrong
    Michael Moore
    Reverend Al Sharpton
    Buckminster Fuller
    Chuck Yeager
    Eleanor Roosevelt
    Ernest Hemingway
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Jesse Ventura
    John D. Rockefeller
    Larry Ellison
    Ty Warner
    Walter Cronkite
    William Faulkner

Its all about the person not a piece of damn paper.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by Anthracis View Post
    Its all about the person not a piece of damn paper.
    You are correct.
    Those people chose to persevere.
    Staying in college will take perseverence......without perseverence you may look like the man in the pic.
    Why minimize your chances of success by limiting your knowlege?

Thread Information