Thread: more jobs gone

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

more jobs gone

looks like my girlfriends dad is out of a job. they are closing the paper mill that he works at in early 2008. 500 people will be cut. as if the over 500 people cut from the other mills around here haven't been bad enough over the last 8 years. between wisconsin rapids, port edwards, nekoosa, biron, and saratoga there are about 30,000 people so this is huge for our town.

things just go from bad to worse around here. the major mill was sold in 1999 and there were at least 500 jobs cut...over the next 7 years another 200 or so jobs were cut. now they sold that mill again recently...no word of layoffs yet. and now they are closing this other mill...500 jobs gone. the economy is stagnant, little to no growth...very few well paying jobs.

and i bet my city council doesn't even think twice about denying the meat processing plant, freightliner assembly plant, and saturn assembly plant permission to build factories here.

i hate my town.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    looks like my girlfriends dad is out of a job. they are closing the paper mill that he works at in early 2008. 500 people will be cut. as if the over 500 people cut from the other mills around here haven't been bad enough over the last 8 years. between wisconsin rapids, port edwards, nekoosa, biron, and saratoga there are about 30,000 people so this is huge for our town.

things just go from bad to worse around here. the major mill was sold in 1999 and there were at least 500 jobs cut...over the next 7 years another 200 or so jobs were cut. now they sold that mill again recently...no word of layoffs yet. and now they are closing this other mill...500 jobs gone. the economy is stagnant, little to no growth...very few well paying jobs.

and i bet my city council doesn't even think twice about denying the meat processing plant, freightliner assembly plant, and saturn assembly plant permission to build factories here.

i hate my town.
    I hear ya, that's why I moved to Minnesota. There's a lot more jobs, and a lot more growth than many places.

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

the paper age is slowly going away...

Cayenne Red Metallic
    98 Z28

The fact that your local government wont let another factory seems like the problem. With the way our society is going to mostly online news, and computer storage of files, paper is becoming less and less used, so this closure is not surprising. What surprises me is that your local elected officials see fit to let everyone go jobless or move??

Good luck to you and yours.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by mnypitZ View Post
    The fact that your local government wont let another factory seems like the problem. With the way our society is going to mostly online news, and computer storage of files, paper is becoming less and less used, so this closure is not surprising. What surprises me is that your local elected officials see fit to let everyone go jobless or move??

Good luck to you and yours.
    they are only looking out for their best interests. and since they are all close to or already in retirement they want the community to remain EXACTLY the same as it has always been and to hell with the younger generations that live here. it sucks.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

My mom and step-dad both worked at a Wrangler Jeans plant here in Oklahoma. My mom was there for over 10 years and my step-dad 2 years...they shut most if not all the plants down in the United States and moved to cheap labor in Mexico (Honduras, to be specific)....if it wasn't for their policy to pay for schooling for my Mom, we'd have been sunk....and we still were for a while...my step-dad went and worked for a mobile home moving company, and my mom had to go through almost 2 years of school....i ate a whooole lot of ramen noodles in that period of time.........anyway, I know how you feel about the sucky town...the town i live in is a retirement home, and the kids are either vandals, skate boarders, or vandalist skateboarders....

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

Thread Information