Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red
    1997 Monte Carlo Z-34

MOPAR; woe is me

So I've always been a fan of muscle cars ever since my dad took me to a car show, back when i was a little girl right? My favorite brand for the longest time was always anything under the MOPAR label (dodge, ply, chrysler).

Anyways, so months and months ago I was getting all giddy when they announced the new 2008 Dodge Challenger. I'd heard about it late, but I was getting stoked! Anyways, so they finally reveal the damn thing earlier this month, and OMG. What a let down. Dodge has let me down, and OH am I mad.

A.) There's no V-6 stock model. Just the SRT-8

B.) The SRT-8 costs about 40,000 dollars, which is a rip off when you consider what you're getting.

C.) It does 0-60 in 5.25 seconds? Some say 4.5, but so far the official specs say low 5's. I mean, are you kidding me? The new Mustang GT's can do it in 5.1 seconds.

D.) The thing is a freight train. 4140 lbs? So it weighs close to 600 lbs more than an F-body? Why? No wonder it does 0-60 in 5.25 seconds on 425 HP.

It used to be that MOPAR dominated the muscle car era. I mean sure, there was plenty of fair weather competition. But overall, MOPAR had a good thing going. Even drivers running a Boss 302 were running scared of MOPAR's stock models. Most of the time they would shift into second only to have to play a game of find that MOPAR.

Pathetic. I mean, I still have the Charger to root for right? Errr...except for the fact it's a 4 door and totally butt ugly. Yeah, MOPAR can go eat some brown. I'm switching to either GM or Ford. (I always have liked the Camaro's and Trans-Am's).

Bottom line? The 2009 Camaro is coming out in a year. Let's hope its not a let down.

im pretty dissapointe in how fucking fat and heavy all the new retro cars are myself

Red
    1997 Monte Carlo Z-34

the one thing that won't be fat concerning those cars is ur wallet. after u buy one. haha. or purse. whatever.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Only the first year is supposed to be the SRT8, I believe. The following years are supposed to have different engines, but there is no verified info for anything other than the first year of production. I'm a huge mopar fan myself, and I'm a little disappointed with the Challenger and with how much the car weighs and costs, but at least it looks good. The super stock car they are actually doing right, but its a drag car only.

Black
    , 2007 CBR600RR

Im disapointed also... Makes me jsut want to build a 71 challenger myself.. they way I want it. The way it was ment to be.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Thats your best bet

Red
    1997 Monte Carlo Z-34

mmhm. a drag car only. too bad it's atrocious at even that. what were they thinking?

Love buying generic GM's Nastyfoot's Avatar

Black, Black
    2011 "Generic" Gasser

Quote Originally Posted by ScarletBegonias View Post
    So I've always been a fan of muscle cars ever since my dad took me to a car show, back when i was a little girl right? My favorite brand for the longest time was always anything under the MOPAR label (dodge, ply, chrysler).

Anyways, so months and months ago I was getting all giddy when they announced the new 2008 Dodge Challenger. I'd heard about it late, but I was getting stoked! Anyways, so they finally reveal the damn thing earlier this month, and OMG. What a let down. Dodge has let me down, and OH am I mad.

B.) The SRT-8 costs about 40,000 dollars, which is a rip off when you consider what you're getting.

C.) It does 0-60 in 5.25 seconds? Some say 4.5, but so far the official specs say low 5's. I mean, are you kidding me? The new Mustang GT's can do it in 5.1 seconds.

D.) The thing is a freight train. 4140 lbs? So it weighs close to 600 lbs more than an F-body? Why? No wonder it does 0-60 in 5.25 seconds on 425 HP.

It used to be that MOPAR dominated the muscle car era. I mean sure, there was plenty of fair weather competition. But overall, MOPAR had a good thing going. Even drivers running a Boss 302 were running scared of MOPAR's stock models. Most of the time they would shift into second only to have to play a game of find that MOPAR.

Pathetic. I mean, I still have the Charger to root for right? Errr...except for the fact it's a 4 door and totally butt ugly. Yeah, MOPAR can go eat some brown. I'm switching to either GM or Ford. (I always have liked the Camaro's and Trans-Am's).

Bottom line? The 2009 Camaro is coming out in a year. Let's hope its not a let down.
    ARRRGH! My eyes!

Welcome to the board BTW

07 MAZDASPEED6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by bamawake View Post
    im pretty dissapointe in how fucking fat and heavy all the new retro cars are myself
    New cars are heavy. Deal with it. They have a lot of safety standards etc to meet.
    '07 MAZDASPEED6 GT
    '96 Mystic Cobra #5615

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

first, welcome to ls1
    second, lose the color
    third yea i hope the '09 isnt a let down, and i REALLY hope it doesnt turn into the mustang where u see 9,000 on the road by just driving down the block

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarletBegonias View Post

welcome to the board! good to see another "car-chick" not just a "car whore"

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by ls1blackbeauty98 View Post
    first, welcome to ls1
    second, lose the color
    third yea i hope the '09 isnt a let down, and i REALLY hope it doesnt turn into the mustang where u see 9,000 on the road by just driving down the block
    ME-OW! easy tiger...just switch to black view and it's easy to read.

lots of color in this thread....

07 MAZDASPEED6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by ls1blackbeauty98 View Post
    first, welcome to ls1
    second, lose the color
    If they don't turn "into the Mustang" then they will not be made for long. The big 3 need to stop making niche vehicles when they are in danger of going under and find vehicles that appeal to the masses. The sooner they, and the general public, understand this the sooner this economy gets better.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Welcome to the board. Color looks good with a black background. It is sad that all these newer cars are so damn heavy, all the American companies need better designers and engineers.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

IDK, I think the new challenger looks pretty sweet, yea it is a boat but what can we do?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Well, that's what happens when Satan's dog takes over a car company.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Cant really say what a Challenger looks like because have not seen one in person yet, but it does look fat .. but then again it may grow on you ... As far as what I have seen so far ..Charger>Challenger ...

Black
    1998 Trans Am

I saw the concept car at the mopar nationals, and I think the production car looks even better, if I ever got one, I'd just do some weight deletes.

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

Removing weight is usually less expensive than adding horsepower.

The first year it is the high priced model.

Less expensiver verisons to follow. It is a marketing strategy. The car market is very competitive and i have no idea of this ploy will work but it should provide the basis for the challenger being "fast" in general. It will also open the market to look alikes in terms of badging.

Magazine and marketing estimates are usually very poor in terms of peformance due to the risk of establishing false expectations. Dodge would rather have people be pleasantly suprised at the performance rather than pissing and moaning about how they can't do as well as estimated.

Public perception, more than facts, contributes to strong sales.
    2002 Street ET Champion New England Dragway
    1999 Street ET Champion Oxford Dragway
    My Blog is here: http://www.downtime.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information